1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clipper Greats

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MrBastard, Feb 9, 2000.

1. MrBastard

MrBastard Member

Now that I've got your attention.

Earlier posts say we should trade The Wizard, Drew, and/or Mobley for a couple of Clippers. I say do not do this.

The Clipper organization is not a fertile ground for future NBA players. Powerful agents be damned, they're still clippers. Maurice Taylor is a power forward who cannot rebound. Rebounds are plentiful in Clipperville, especially offensive.

How many former clippers have gone on to become great, hell, even good NBA players??

Joining a real NBA team after being a Clipper is similar to coming off an injury. You're a little unsure about your step, you make some rash decisions, you're not entirely up to your potential. Perhaps deep down, they're still Clippers. I wonder how many times former Clippers have made mistakes with their new team and been told "Hey, this ain't the f*ckin'..." It follows them throughout their lives.

Remember that great player named Loy Vaught? Eric Piatkowski? Or any of the last Clipper #1 picks? Yeah, we can go back to Danny Manning, but he's a better example of the wonders of modern medicine. When they leave the clippers, a part of their soul remains. Lamar Odom's a rookie of the year candidate, but clipperous* qualities are starting to develop.

The Rockets shouldn't trade for a Clipper player, they should trade for the Clips' greatest asset--their draft picks.

MrB

*Clipperiforous?

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Rodney Rogers use to be a clipper and now he is playing for the suns and he is a good player.

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Mr. b*stard, I don't understand the logic here. Danny Manning continued a successful career post-Clipper, with Phoenix. Derek Anderson was always special, even before he got to Clipperland, and the same goes for Odom.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"Rebounds are plentiful in Clipperville"

LOL MrBastard

your vocabulary is refreshing, but you misspelled a few words. Let me give you the correct spellings.

Clipporous (adj)--an unexeplained phenomenon whereby five defenders leave huge gaps in a defense. as in: "If it wasn't for their Clipporous defense, the Kings might compete for the title this year."

Clipperiferrous (adj)--the tendency for raw ironman qualities to soften and be clipped away under longterm exposure to dull elements. as in your usage "Lamar Odom's a roy candidate, but his raw skills are developing clipperiferrous qualities."

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited February 09, 2000).]

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

WHO COULD FORGET RON HARPER BACK IN THE DAY, HE WAS A 22-25 PPG PLAYER WITH THE CLIPS AND MOVED ON TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN CHI-TOWN AS WELL.

6. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Francis3: My grandpappy used to have a saying..."The sun shines on a dogs ass every once in awhile." Perhaps you prefer the more modern "Anybody can hit the lottery" (and the Clips have). My point here is that one good player out of an organization does not make a solid track record. If this were the case every receiver out of high school would want to go to Mississippi Valley State (Jerry Rice's Alma Mater). I have to agree with Mrbastard that a trade with the Clippers would be a bad idea. That place tends to suck the talent out of players a-la "SPACEJAM".

------------------
    The truth is out there.

[This message has been edited by Mulder (edited February 09, 2000).]

7. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I really think the clippers have some real good talented players. Some people might be saying then how come they arent winning. Well first of all they are all young with no one on that team with experience. The coach they have sucks like hell. They need to add more veteran players on that team and get a good coach.

Kandi
    Taylor
    Odom
    Anderson
    Hudson

That is alot of talent and I think if they can just get a good coach with more veteran players they can start winning games.

8. popeye

popeye Member

Saying someone can't have talent because he is on a tean that collectively has a poor record is like saying .....

.... diamonds are useless and we should stop digging for them, 'cause afterall these rocks we look in aren't worth a damn thing!

9. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Heypartner, great vocab, had me rolling!!

I think the Clips are a great team to trade with: #1 their poor coaching, night-after-night losing and lack of togetherness on the floor is more likely to make individual players look worse than their talent; #2 once they go to a committed and players- oriented organization they should be really happy because they know how bad it can get. I think the cases of Danny Manning and Ron Harper are great examples. They became fine roll players because they went to committed organizations. Also, we got OT in a similar situation as well, back then the Kings were very Clipper-like, we plucked their best player for an injury plagued Peterson who probably looked a lot better next to Dream, and OT was a great fixture for years to come. Pippen was the opposite. He played with great players and a great system and became a spoiled brat. Take the support and the system, he was nothing. In my mind the loser teams in the NBA, the ones with some talent but have a recent history of losing--Clips, Nuggs, Celts, Nets, Griz, Warriors, Bullets, etc., are some of the best teams to steal from.

10. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Better players drafted by the Clippers over the years:

1981.......Tom Chambers
    1982.......Terry Cummings
    1983.......Byron Scott
    1984.......M Cage
    1988.......Manning and H Hawkins
    1989.......Ferry.....questionable inclusion on this list
    1995.......McDyess (rights were traded away)
    1996.......L Wright
    1997.......M Taylor
    1999.......L Odom

I would say over the years they have had some quality players pass through, just unable to put all of the pieces together.
    Didn't see any quality PG or Centers on that list, but very solid players at the other three spots

If the underlying talent is there, it will shine once it is in a better organization.

Mango

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited February 09, 2000).]

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What *is* the Clipper's Problem?

They have talent but it's like throwing
    matches and wood on a pile. . . .
    Their's not spark to make a fire
    they don't meld together. . . .

Who is their coach again?

Rocket River

12. Mango

Mr B,

You started this thread about players from the Clippers. I accepted the challenge and went through the legwork of finding quality players that have been drafted by the Clipper organization.

Your response to date:
    NOTHING

Mango

13. MrBastard

MrBastard Member

The eighties were great, weren't they?

Thank you for making my point.

MrB

14. Mango

MrB,

The organization that had the best overall drafts of the '90's is?

I pulled a subjective list of the top five - six players of the drafts from 1990-1998. Probably someone left off and someone else wrongly included.

NJ
    Coleman
    K Anderson

Seattle
    Payton

Phoenix
    Jayson Williams
    Finley

Charlotte
    Gill
    LJ
    Mourning
    Bryant (traded to LA for Vlade because he didn't want to play for the Hornets)

Lakers
    Campbell
    E Jones

Cleveland
    Brandon

Denver
    Mutombo
    LaFrentz

Clips
    McDyess (rights traded to Denver)
    M Taylor

Orlando
    Shaq
    Penny (Webber swap)

Washington
    T Gugliotta
    J Howard
    R Wallace

GS
    Sprewell
    Webber (Penny swap)
    Carter (swapped for Jamison in the same draft)

Minn
    Laettner (?)
    Rider(?)
    Garnett
    Allen (swapped for Marbury in the same draft)

Dallas
    Mash
    Kidd
    Cato

Detroit
    A Houston
    G Hill

Houston
    Cassell

Mil
    G Robinson
    Marbury (swapped for Allen)

Sac
    B Grant
    J Williams

Phil
    Stackhouse
    Iverson
    Van Horn

Tor
    Camby
    McGrady
    A Jamison (swapped for Carter)

Van
    S Abdur-Rahim
    Bibby

SA
    Duncan

Boston
    Mercer
    Pierce

I can't say that the Clips had anything close to the best drafts of the '90's.

There are a few points that can be discerned from reviewing drafts of the past two decades.

1. VERY few players finish their careers with the teams that drafted them.

2. That Charlotte might get the nod for the best overall drafts of the '90's, yet because of various factors, squandered that opportunity.

3. Golden State would be neck and neck with Charlotte. Again they squandered their assets and have nothing to show for it.

4. That Duncan and Cassell are the only players on that list that have won Championships.

5. The '90's just seem to be a step down from the '80's in talent.

Again, if the player has talent, acquire him regardless of what sad-sack organization he is currently in. The GS and Charlotte organizations have had some problems in the '90's, yet other teams had no qualms trading for the talent that those two organizations had.

Mango

ps Your original post never stated that Clipper activity from 1990 was the only thing under discussion.

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited February 11, 2000).]

15. Lobo_Louie

Lobo_Louie Member

I heard a rumor the Clippers are moving to Houston.

[​IMG]

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If you add Odom, LAC, doesn't look as bad at drafting.