1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clipper Game Thoughts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Nov 1, 2001.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Game Thoughts

Yet again, the offense wasn't too pretty...but here's what to take from the game. The team got into triple digit FGA, shot 37% and WON....not supposed to happen.

1.) Mobley is a horse...he seemed to play the entire game, and has INCREDIBLE stamina, probably due to his summer conditioning. He seems to be the only guy with his outside stroke working. Nice line, outside the 8/24-18 points, 10 boards, 5 assists, 3 steals and NO turnovers. He was a warrior in overtime, fighting inside for some offensive boards, and also had a MONSTER block on Lamar Odom.

2.) The team obviously worked on two problematic areas from the last game: FT shooting, and turnovers from the backcourt. They ended up with a very nice 20/23 from the stripe, and only 9 turnovers, very incredible for an OT game.

3.) The big men got into foul trouble, the offense ran through Brand, but the V-Raptor came up big. Clutch free throws, and solid defense from Willis, and boardwork saved us. We had SIXTY rebounds. Cato, while his stats aren't impressive came up with some solid play against Brand, rebounded and fought it out in the paint well, and kept his head. He also did well against Kandi, limiting him to jump shots (which he seems to have added to his arsenal).

4.) The biggest difference is the shutdown of opposing guards. McInnis has historically torn us up, but only shot 5/16. Francis and Mobley are wreaking havoc, combining for 6 steals. Rice played solid defense, and Odom never got into a rhythm.

5.) The offense showed some signs of busting out. When Rice hit those jumpers, the offense scored about 10 points in 2 minutes. They were the same type of shots he's gotten, but they started to fall. He seemed to get into a better rhythm later, I think it'll be about 2 more games before he's torching defenses. Talk about leadership and toughness, after he took that elbow to the face. He didn't even flinch.

6.) Griffin showed more signs of the dominance he may be able to take up as the season progresses. He got good looks, but seemed to be rushing it from the baseline. He looks more comfortable around the top of the key area, where he hit a nice jumper that got the offense clicking. He got a block on Miles straight up, and Miles didn't score when Griffin was guarding him. Walt Williams was a different story...

7.) Walt had another one of those headache games. He missed about 4 wide open jump shots in the first quarter, and was torched by Darius Miles. In the 4th/OT, Walt did rebound well, and hit a couple key shots.

The Rockets have loads of great 3 point shooters. Once they shoot better from there, and from the field, which they will, they will be tough to beat. They're winning without that facet as it is...

2. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Good points NIKE,
    But like you said, I think the biggest reason for winning was stopping mcinnis. That guy would consistently give stevie fits...I think steve didn't really take him seriously before but the defense stopped his pentration that killed us in all our defeats to their team last year. Brand was a monster but pulled a Rahim and kind of disappeared in the 4th(except for his freethrows) and helped us win that game. Stevie was the freakin man today! my god 32/10/5! He's put up all-star power foward numbers these past 2 games. The T-wolves will be another big test...Rahim, Brand, and Garnett in 3 straight games. I think this would really show that we can win against great PF of the west.

3. treeman

treeman Member

I agree, especially on the backcourt situation. Are the Bucks really better than these two?

I was most surprised to see decent defense being conducted. I didn't see the first game, but I hear it was similar... This summer the line was our offense will rock, our defense will suck. I am very heartened to see decent defense - not great, but 'decent' is better than the 'horrible' I expected. The offense will come.

If they can keep up this sort of defense then this will be a very scary team. I'm excited!

4. DLS

DLS Member

32/10/7 :D

It's early of course, but it kinda was frustrating that we had oppurtunities to put the game away without OT and we didn't. Seems we don't have that killer instinct yet (yes only 2 games, I know). 2 wins is 2 wins though and whos complaining?

What was the deal with Walt in the lineup along with Rice. I only got to see the last 7 min of the 4th qrt. :( .....was that a safety net so Willis could come in to play center?

How was TMo's game? How was his D?

Man I love the Rockets!

5. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

The Rockets defense has been OUTSTANDING when it needed to be. The Rocks held the Clips to 6 pts in OT. The Rocks also held ATL to 8 pts. in OT.

I'm not sure how this is "decent?"

And hold ATL to under 90 pts in 5 quarters of play. And holding the Clips to 92 pts in 5 quarters.

Folks, it has been their defense alone that has won these games. Their offense has...well...sucked. They managed to hit a shot when they absolutely had to but they didn't make it easy on themselves.

The Rocks defense has been the difference.

6. krosfyah

Walt and Rice played cause KT and Cato fouled out. We needed size but also needed some offense. That's why TMO or Griff didn't come in.

7. treeman

treeman Member

Spurs defense is outstanding. What we've done the last two games is on the higher end of decent. Holding the Clippers to 37% or so is not 'great', it's 'pretty good', 'not bad at all', 'decent' - that sort of thing...

This is more than I expected, and (aside from Steve and Cat) the offense hasn't even started yet. There is no doubt in my mind that the offense will start soon. When Rice gets his legs, when Griffin and TMo feel more comfortable, when Cato decides that a slam dunk is a better option than a half-assed layup (not to knock him, I am happy he's actually moving), this team is going to be extremely difficult to beat. If they can just keep up this decent level of defense. ;)

8. krosfyah

How can you say "decent?" In 10 quarters of play, the opposing team only managed to score more than 22 points only once. Clips 1st quarter = 25. And held oppon. under 20 pts 6 times.

If the Rockets play that level of defense all season, they will contend for the Western Conf Champ.

I'm realistic and understand that won't happen (I hope so. ;) )

Holding a team to 37% will win you 90% of your games.

I call that much better than "decent."

But you're entitled to your own opinion.

BTW, we also shut down SA in the preseason. Give credit where credit is due.

9. treeman

treeman Member

OK, OK. It was very good defense. It just seems odd to be saying that about this team. It seems... unnatural.

I am pleased, even if I have a hard time finding the right words for it.

10. krosfyah

Now I'll agree with that statement. It's been a while since we've seen good defense so we forget what it looks like. :D

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

NIKE:
    Good points, as always. I agree completely about McInnis, as he was a key and I think the Rockets did a good job on him. Willis was huge and although Walt struggled with his outside shot and Miles did eat him up a couple of times, I think he had a good overall game. He was a key player in us winning tonight, IMO. Cato played hard but had a rough night from the refs. KT looked good at times...it was funny to hear Calvin get upset when KT wouldn't take the outside shot.

Brand really hurt us..he will make a huge difference in the Clippers this year. The Clippers are better than both the Suns and T-Wolves. Odom didn't really hurt us that bad, IMO. Keyon Dooling hit some big shots. Nice offensive foul that wasn't called in the overtime by that punk, Piatkowski.

I would like to see the Rockets get an easy win, but I will take 2-0 any chance I can get it. Especially, considering that the Rockets offense has been miserable in shooting the ball.

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I've been to both games and one can easily tell that Cuttino and Steve are playing their asses off on defense. They are both bodying up and not leaving their man open at all. When the Rockets double team the defensive man on top of the key is hustling like a madman to cover whoever gets the ball. I think Rudy might have finally drilled defense into the heads of our players and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While it sounds good to say "5 quarters of play" or "10 quarters of play" I feel it necessary to point out that an overtime period is far from the same time length as a regular quarter (5 minutes, right?).

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Cato's line, 0 pts, 6 rebs, 1 blk., 6 fouls.

Looks like the same Cato to me....

15. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Baqui: Don't talk about Cato's play unless you watched the game.

He fought for position on defense like a madman, worked hard for boards, and got a few bad calls. Cato played with the same spirit that he has every game this year.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

{start sarcastic remark}
    WOW. We finally have a Rocket(s) Scientist on board. NO???? Seriously? Well, I thought it was the other way around
    {end sarcasm}
    Should I be happy that we beat the Clippers, or concerned that the game went to overtime? I need help. :confused:

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The sign of a good team is not how well they play when everyone is shooting well (the bulls and the grizzlies can even do that). Its how they play when shots aren't falling. The Rockets found a way to win even though no ones shots were falling except for Francis. We are winning the close ones which will bring us over the hump to get to the playoffs. The rockets have played great D these two games. I saw very few gimmies this season. I am excited.

Of course I want to see some blowouts because my heart can't handle this much drama for the whole season.:D

18. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

It was also nice to see Glen Rice heat up for about 2 minutes (not being sarcastic). When he starts to become more comfy with his role, he will get better like he did with the Knicks.

I thought that Willis' FT's were HUGE. I don't see Cato even drawing iron there in that situation.

The Cat is a freak of nature the way he logs minutes faster than a massage parlor runs out of baby oil. Unreal.

As far as Eddie, as soon as he realizes that he is one of the most talented guys on the floor, WATCH OUT!

And Stevie....words can't describe what he means to our squad and it showed again last night.

19. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Nike: All very excellent points. You summed it up nicely.

SRF: I think the key to Brand was that he was absolutely exhausted by the end of the 4th quarter. Played out. I know KT won't get credit for that, but he should get some of the kudos. And, maybe BRand got a little bit frustrated too. He carried that team most of the game, with exception of flurries by Darius Miles and McInnes braking out of coverage.

Tree: Their half court defense was sharper than the first game, and the Rocx switched off nicely at times, especially at the top when the Clips tried successive high picks on the same play. Really, that is fundamental in Chapter One of "how you beat a young team". Deny them their first option, man to man at half court and collapse if they penetrate. (We kinda gave them back the advantage a couple of times, well .... okay .... make that several times, when we allowed them a second and third opportunity on their possessions.)

DLS: TMo was there on the court but basically a non-entity,IMHO. ( I guess I lost my wish for having Torres show his D against the western kids.) But I fully expect both TMo and Torres to show some stuff in some upcoming games.

Krosfyah: “ … Walt and Rice played cause KT and Cato fouled out. We needed size but also needed some offense. …”

Exacta-mundo.

“ … It's been a while since we've seen good defense so we forget what it looks like. ..”

Or. more like, we are all so surprised we are willing to attribute it to anything but just good solid defensive coverage. LOL

Baqui99: Those numbers don’t look very impressive, but they don’t tell the story either. Cato was involved and finishing his defensive plays. His outlet pass is right out of Hakeem’s playbook. He used his body well and his positioning is 100% better than his best game last year. He is learning to play within himself. (Gawd am I saying all these things about Cato?)

Rockbox: “ … The sign of a good team is not how well they play when everyone is shooting well (the bulls and the grizzlies can even do that). Its how they play when shots aren't falling. The Rockets found a way to win even though no ones shots were falling except for Francis … “

That was RT exact sentiments after both of these games. He is looking happy and having fun watching these guys.

"The Cardiac Kids " are Two to Won .....

;)

20. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Rudy T has to become more serious about KT, offensively and KT needs to drop the indecisiveness. In my opinion, KT was going to get the better of Brand but we went away from that. I understand why we did. First, we have other people to go to and second KT is his worst enemy. He is so quick. Do not hesistate. In your iso, get on with it. He would get more calls that way and have a better chance of finishing the play. Having said that I do not think we have mentally made the commitment to allowing KT to dominate. We are more thinking of him as the lead in to Griffin. We should be calling more plays for him and play that would regular get him 18-20 pts per game, because he has the ability. And I would play him at SF too.

By the way, the defense on this team is unreal! And that is without Morris and Oscar in the mix.

I know that RT was bent on us winning these games, but I do believe that the rotation will be 10 or 11. Right now we need Cat and Fran to log big minutes to get us over this hump. Long term survival and success will require a reduction of minutes. We have a back to back this weekend without one on the road. So we will see.