1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

clip deal on table?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bigdee2898, Feb 10, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Bigdee2898

Bigdee2898 Member

i have a friend that works for the agent of Derk Anderson,he tells me that the clips have offered him and kandi man for Drew,Walt,Mass and possibly the detroit 1st rd pick.what do you guys think about this? i say lets do it .this gives a real center aftet the dream retires after next year,and dream can help him on his footwork and shots and Derek is talent just ready to explode,he just needs to stay healthy,but you know we have the best trainer in the league in mr.jones he can get him right phyiscally.

------------------
    Eddie for three...yesssssssssssss..holy mother

2. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

This deal seems almost too good to be true. I'd do that deal in a second. Imagine having a line up of:

C- Kandi
    PF- Cato
    SF- S. Anderson
    SG- D. Anderson
    PG- Francis

if there is any truth to this deal, pull the trigger for the love of god.

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Just out of curiosity, who is Derk Anderson's agent these days? Wasn't he one of the guys that fired No Limits/Master P prior to the season?

4. WHAM!

WHAM! Member

no offense, but i have a bad feeling about getting rid of drew, the following players, in my opinion are untradeable, and i just feel it would be a big mistake to let any of them go:

francis
    mobley
    olajuwon
    cato
    drew
    anderson
    thomas

i'm sorry, but anderson/mobley and francis/drew gives us a pretty damn deep backcourt and i just don't think it would be good to break that up now. yes, we are going to need to fill in sf and front court help, but we have cato and thomas and i would rather try to fill up those spots through the draft and free agency and trading other scrubs than to let any of the players above go. we really have quite a gift in our back court, and yes we do need help up front, but i think it would be better if we were patient and tried to fill in our front court and keep our back court the way it is instead of breaking up the backcourt to fill in the front. be patient and good things will come.

5. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets may not have to break up this super deep backcourt manually. Drew and Mobley are growing beyond being backups. It would be in their (Drew and Mobes) interests to seek starter positions (and starter's money) with other teams if they can't get them with the Rockets. As long as Francis is a Rocket, Drew won't be starting. So if the Rockets get a killer deal for Drew, they should take it.

6. dream_team

dream_team Member

this deal IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE! if this is true, rockets should take it in a second... i don't know what the hold up is? i think Kandi can benefit heavily by playing with Dream and taught by CD. also, DA is injury prone, but i'm serious when i say this, he has All-Star potential. he's that good!

7. Steve Phrancis

Yeah, I agree WHAM! If we only had Mobes to gripe about taking ill-advised shots the message boards would be slow.

I would like that trade, the only problem is that we have to move someone over to 4 who is a 5. Kandi can't play Shaq like Cato can play Shaq.

8. KrisG

KrisG Member

Would the Rockets be willing to give DA the maximum salary he's going to ask for this summer?

I doubt it; but who knows.

------------------
    Kris Gardner,
    The Houston Roundball Review
    www.DoTheReview.com

9. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

yeah this does sound a little too good to be true...

I think Kandi definitely hasnt lived up to what everybody thought he would do but he still has an upside to him and he is a big man...he could definitely fill a great role and provide cato with someone in the paint for when dream leaves...Dont know much about DA but I do know he has pretty good looking stat sheet...so to believe that we could do this for drew, walt and tmass and a draft pick seems a little far fetched...why would they want drew walt and tmass and a first round pick?....what is that going to do for them? I dont know... it would be great but I just dont see it being too likely... anyone see this as being feasible that knows the money side of things?...just tell me where this would benefit the clips..i want to believe this is possible I just dont know....

10. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

I think that when you look at the players involved, the deal looks great for us. DA can be an excellent 2-guard. Kandi is a project, but shows potential. Our personell though makes this deal not as attractive, besides the fact that DA is going to get the maximum, here or not. Assuming he signs here, Mobley will not. It would make no sense for Cat. DA is good enough and if he makes 7+ million, he will get 30+ minutes. Mobley may not mind coming off the bench now, because when he enters the game, he is allowed to creat for himself a lot and he is in the game down the stretch. If DA is here, he will play in the 4th quarter, and so will Francis. Mobes is good enough to start in th is league and a team looking for a 2 may give him that chance.

------------------
    - Beck

Dream...bring back the goggles

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not interested. I don't see the Rockets getting anything they need in this trade. I liked Kandi when he first came in, all raw. But now he's still raw. Maybe it is the effect of playing for the Clippers but maybe it isn't. And Anderson is a good player, but our backcourt is already good, and he doesn't satisfy our needs at forward. Plus, I worry about his fragility. Trading away Drew, Massenburg and Williams I have no problem with, but I think the compensation needs to be focused at the 3 and/or 4.

12. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Not as far-fetched as some of you may think, but still not what I was expecting. To get Kandi AND Anderson, I would guess we would need to trade both Mobley and Drew. Just my opinion. However, if there is truth to this, I would certainly pull the trigger.

Let's take a deeper look into this:

Clippers Needs:
    *They need some kind of depth. Walt and TMass are under contract and would provide them with that.
    *They need a point guard. Bryce Drew adds that. He is also under contract for next season.
    *This deal would give Lamar shooters to look for, in Williams and Drew.
    *The draft pick would probably be to sweeten things up.

Rockets:
    *Big man project to go along with Cato.
    *Solid shooting guard in Derek Anderson.

I actually believe this. From our point of view, the deal looks extremely lopsided, but the Clippers are filling in some roles by bringing in some guaranteed contracts, and adding some depth. Also, if indeed they do trade Taylor to the Lakers, they could use Walt's salary to help even out the deal. Then, Ship rice over to Philly, and Hughes would fill in the spot where Anderson left. Travis Knight would take up at center for Kandi.

The Clippers are pretty much set to rebuild around Odom right now, and do not expect Anderson and Taylor to resign. We'll see what happens.

13. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

I think that would be a great trade, even with Mobley in the deal as ThaCabbage speculates he must be. It would be robbing the cradle if he isn't part of the deal w/ or w/o that Detriot pick.

14. thacabbage

Sir Scarvajal:

If BigDee had posted this yesterday, I would have believed it not possible without the inclusion (is that a word?) of Mobley. However, after watching a quality young big man like Danny Fortsman be traded to the Raptors for garbage, this deal sounds a lot more realistic to me.

Facts:
    *The Clippers will lose Derek Anderson, one way or another.
    *They hope to lose Maurice Taylor and replace Anderson with Hughes.
    *They need depth and proven shooters.
    *they need a point guard.

Just because the Clippers greatest need are bodies on contracts, I would guess that Rogers or some other expendables would be included.

This would be a great deal, yet there would be some risks involved.

A:You still have Mobley, but this time with a star ahead of him. How will he get minutes?
    Cabbage:play him at the backup point guard as well. When Shandon sits, move Derek to the small forward, and play 3-guard.
    B:Can and will Shandon play the small forward?
    Cabbage:Shandon isn't a whiner, and he is the no-nonsense type that will do whatever it takes. He can handle it.
    C:Kandi?
    Cabbage:It's worth the risk. Two talented young big men would be a luxury.
    D:What if Anderson leaves this summer?
    Cabbage:Well, it was worth the risk. It's not like we gave up Mobley. We would be able to get over the loss of Drew if Anderson bolted. You atleast need to put yourself in position to take the risk.

One other thing:

If this went down, this summer I would trade the lottery pick, similar to what Toronto did this summer, for some veteran backup help. We would have a solid all-around starting 5, and would be in no more need of stars. Just vets who know their roles ala Antonio Davis.

15. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

I wonder if there is anyway to get the 76ers involved so we could give up Kandi for Ratliff.

Rockets: D. Anderson and Ratliff

Clippers: Hughes and Drew

76ers: Williams and Kandi and pick

16. thacabbage

Sixers won't give up Ratliff for that little. I was thinking more along the lines of:

Lakers: Taylor, Walt (ROUGHLY $7MILL, MAYBE A SCRUB HERE AND THERE.)
    Rockets: Anderson, Kandi ($5MILL, ADD SCRUBS)
    Sixers: Rice ($7MILL)
    Clippers: Drew, Knight, Hughes, TMass (ABOUT $6MILL)

17. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Wouldn't Philly need to give up more in that deal? I can't see how they can get Rice with only giving up Hughes. Do they have that kind of cap space? Those would have to be some expensive scrubs.

18. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

OK here we go, we send Kandi + Mobley or DA (our choice) to the 6ers for Ratlif. That becomes a pretty good trade for the 6ers too. We also still have a guard trio of Stevie, SA and a quality 1/2 (Mobes or DA).
    (I really don't see how Mobes, DA and SA can co-exist with all the 2 minutes plus a couple of 1 mintues and just a little bit more 3 minutes.) Is Ratlif worth that much? I don't know, but Cato and Ratlif could sure erase a lot of mistakes from an overplaying and active set of guards and swing men. We could also go bigger with Thomas or Los or whoever we draft.

19. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

The Rox should make this deal and then send D Anderson and Thomas to Orlando for Maggette and Harpring. Our line up would then be:
    Francis/Norris
    Anderson/Mobley
    Maggette/Bullard/Harpring
    Cato/Rogers/Miller
    Kandi/Olajuwon
    This would also be tweaked this summer in the draft and through free agency. The year after Hakeem's retirement the Rox could be a serious contender.

20. thacabbage

HUH? Derek Anderson is better than Maggette, and Thomas is light years ahead of Harpring...

Sir Scarvajal:

Kandi+Anderson for Ratliff...NO WAY.
    Kandi+Mobley for Ratliff...yes, but the Sixers wouldn't go for that.

But before we start speculating on where we'd trade Kandi afterwards, let's see if this rumor holds anything.