1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glynch, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Capela will be needed when Amare and/or Aminu comes in. Dorsey is just too short too go against those guys, unless you want to see a layup drill against us. I know it is asking too much for a rookie to warped speed his development, but we have no choice with D-Mo being out.

Here is to a breakout playoff season for Mr. Capela.

2. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

All the analytics that Morey needs to see

He's gonna be our new troy Daniels this year

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

When Dwight Howard took a seat in the first quarter, rookie Clint Capela came in as his backup. There is a big difference, however, between matching up with Jack Cooley and Amar’e Stoudemire. A year ago, Rockets coach Kevin McHale was willing to call on a little-used rookie in the post-season, turning to Troy Daniels against Portland. McHale said Capela has greater understanding of the Rockets’ schemes and coverages than when the Rockets first called him up. Stoudemire showed the Rockets he is still effective even if he is not the high-flying force he was when he was Capela’s age. Capela’s length and jumping ability might be a better match up against Stoudemire than Joey Dorsey’s strength, but Stoudemire is still a particularly tough match up for a slender rookie so lacking in experience. Dorsey could be better prepared to battle him and to take advantage of the Mavericks’ frequent issues on the defensive boards. Even a few games ago, there did not seem to be a decision to be made. In the games Dwight Howard played, Capela didn’t. But he was the first center off the bench against the Jazz. He might be an option against the Mavericks.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What's the from?

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

take this for what it is worth. but dorsey has had a negative +/- for the last 6 games in a row. while capela has played in 4 of those game and had a positive +/- in ALL 4 of those games.

pretty telling. obviously the coaches know this and many other stats comparing the two. at this point i would be very surprised if capela doesnt get some playing time in this series.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Youth (Clint Eastwood aka just Eastwood) beats, I know where to be on defense (Dorsey, I have pictures of McFail, Morey, and Les with some animals). He opens the lane because he can finish over people with monster dunks and put backs. Plus plays above the rim blocking shots.

Let the young buck play!!!

8. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Surprised he didn't get much time today, probably because Dwight was a beast.

Will McHale ever try Dwight and Capela at the same time?

9. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

He played most the time dwight didn't I'm happy for just the 10 mpg at this stage

10. Normalus

Normalus Member

That's the most he will probably get if Dwight is not in foul trouble. No, they won't play at the same time, ever.

11. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

another solid performance.. he's a very talented player, i think we are fine for years in the center position

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Capela wasn't needed in the 2nd half. Neither was Harden apparently. But Capela was pretty solid in his limited minutes in the 1st half. He had a beautiful dish to I think T-Jones for a dunk. And he made 1-2 free throws when they went to Hack-a-Clint.

13. Convictedstupid

I don't know why mchale ever plays a smith/jones tandem. This duo even saw minutes with Tyson Chandler in the game.

14. hakeemthagreat

They said he had a 30 minute session with Dream before game 2. If so, its always good to hear the master working with the young pupil

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The problem with playing them both together is that Capela can't shoot and he can be clumsy with the ball if you ask him to do too much. He's still growing, I don't want to ask him to run a PnR with Howard right now lol.

This kid is going to be a monster, and these high confidence minutes he's getting off the bench are probably going to do nothing but help.

16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I thought he had another good game minus a missed dunk and a couple situations where he could have pursued the rebound a little harder. but for a rookie... I'm happy because he's keeping Dorsey on the bench.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

If Capela can give us 12 solid minutes every night, that's all we need

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He was fouled on that miss-dunk.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He has good instincts for a rookie. He knows the game better than you would think. That, plus not trying to do too much is what makes him able to contribute at this point.

I don't know if he'll ever have a face-up game that's worth a damn, but if all he does is become a rich man's Brandan Wright then that wouldn't be bad at all for a guy drafted that late.

20. marky :)

marky :) Member

Yeah I agree. He has good positioning and spacing on offense for a rookie especially in the playoffs. He also doesn't seem to be out of place on defense or offense to not make a play on the ball. When he bulks up in the upcoming offseason, he would be a good DD(dunk & defensive) player.