1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glynch, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Normalus

Normalus Member

I thought he's Swiss, not French :confused:
    [youtube]Ld-AOpOX-Ys[/youtube]

2. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Anyone got the post game interview by Bullard with Clint?

3. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

The only thing I can think of at this point to justify Dorsey getting in the rotation over Capela is health. Clint has been playing with an injured groin and they want to be cautious.

His per36 stats though in 11 games: 12 pts, 15 rebs, 3.5 blocks

This kid is gonna be special.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Where are the folks that wanted to cut him in order to keep Jeff Adrien who is playing where nowadays?

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Congrats, lol. Well, he did not play that much either but he is developing

Adrien would have helped as well.

Tarik was not waived but ultimately let go. The discussion was between cutting Dorsey vs. Adrien vs. Tarik Black.

Dorsey won out and has been playing ever since.

6. CertifiedTroll

Clint Capela has nice shooting form. Hope he continues to add range in the off season.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Either way Black, Dorsey, and Adrien are who they are. I wanted to keep Black because I think he can keep improving but at the end of the day Dorsey, and Adrien are stop gaps until they can get real talent. Adrien can out hustle guys in training camp, but in the thick of the regular season, he's not going to match up with a DeAndre Jordan or a Robin Lopez any better than Dorsey will. NBA rotation bigs are just on another level than guys like Dorsey, Adrien, and Black even though they can help in spurts. You knowingly take your lumps at that position, and try to win games using your other strengths on the perimeter.

Making due with a Dorsey type this year will pay dividends next year when Capela gets a full off-season and training camp to get up to snuff with the NBA.

The Rockets have Capela locked up for 3 more years AFTER this year on a rookie deal. Having 3 more years of a solid backup 5 behind Dwight on that type of deal will pay dividends. And he's still got plenty of upside to develop enough to play the 4 alongside Dwight possibly... who knows, but right now he at least looks like the backup 5 we need for the future.

Either way you look at it, cutting Capela as a rookie just to keep someone like Adrien would have been a colossal mistake for the future of the franchise.

8. indo

indo Member

Just wanted to restore some truth about what I heard in this forum.
    Clint Capela is a player that I'm following since many year as the manager of the website swisshopes.ch.

First thing Clint Capela is from Switzerland and not France but has French native speaking language.
    He played is last international game against Russia in August 2014.
    Clint played the game already a little bit injured (groin injury). Even that he made he huge work against Mozgov (Cleveland) and Switzerland won the game. It was during that game he injured permanently
    https://vimeo.com/103318710

Second thing I don't think that Clint made huge progress this year. Maybe he made some progress but that just normal thing because he is young. The main problem is that when he could finally began his season he was completely out of physical condition. But he doesn't make a lot of progress in D-League that is not true basketball game. For me it was almost wasting time and I think he could have progress more this season.

Third thing CC is not ready for NBA. I don't agree with that. Sure he is a little bit raw. Sure he is young but he is more ready than any NCAA drafted player. Last two season he played with Professional Team in good level French Pro A team. This kind of professional team will beat easily any NCAA team. Played with old ex NBA experienced players like AJ Slaugter, Jon Brockman or Shelden Williams. So sure if he is in good shape he could an important contributor now for the Rockets.

2 people like this.
  9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Do we have a nickname yet?

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

T Jones first two NBA seasons disagrees with your assumption that this season was a waste for Clint C

11. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

please tell me your not believing Bill and Matt again :rolleyes:

12. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

Oh man Dorsey makes Black look like Tyson Chandler. Losing him was kind of big in spite of signing Smith.

13. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

Swiss Beatz

14. beardsanity713

nick name
    Swiss Hammer
    bc of his ferociously dunks

15. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

Swiss Army Dunk (S.A.D. because his defender got posterized)

16. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Swiss Chocolate.. Swiss Thunder.. Chocolate Rain... Thunder Swiss... Swiss Thunder... Ready2Rumble... Great Wall of Swiss.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And the problem or question remains unanswered until the end of the playoffs.

Can the Rockets overcome taking a raw rookie who might not be so ready for the playoffs, keeping some like Dorsey (an unknown commodity in terms of playoff intensity), 2 major injuries to rotation players?

Anything shorter than a 2nd round showing is a failure. Making second round and exit then would be an average outing.

WC Finals or 4th round Finals can be considered 'Success' this season.

At the end of the day results speak volumes. Yes, 56 or 55 wins does spell regular season success but it accounts to nothing much without postseason wins.

The WEST IS COMING and we still have an average coach (McHale)

Taking a raw rookie like Capela surely will ensure the future.

But what if that future will hold 14th picks or 16th picks constantly?
    Vicious circle

18. dmoneybangbang

Good read and good to hear a different take.

19. rocketsmetalspd

Swiss Hammer "I Like" ...Clyde :grin:

20. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

If this guy continues to develop then we may have found another "best backup C in The League"