1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Clint Capela will be a star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 19, 2015.

1. TheresTheDagger

#NotInMyPaint

Oh we have a new rally cry fam!

Williamson, Game7, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Tremendous video.

I seriously love Clint Capela. (Obligatory no homo).

houston19519 likes this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's not cool to say no homo in 2018 bro.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Hakeemtheking and Killatron 2000 like this.
  4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like Dream.

Bobsputin, Game7 and Killatron 2000 like this.
  5. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I just hope his performance in the playoffs so far have risen his trade value enough so that we can trade him for Thon Maker.

Invisible Fan and justtxyank like this.
  6. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Have to admit that I was wrong about Capella as recently as this past off-season. I didn't anticipate how much he would grow defensively. His ability to switch onto perimeter players and guard then competently has been huge on this team.

Before him becoming an elite defender, I thought he was a decent dunker and rebounder-- useful but nothing special. Somehow Capela's dunks seem boring compared to the real freaks like DeAndre Jordan. I thought a healthy Nene was better and a competent backup (like Tarik Black) could give us 80-85% of what Capela gives, enabling us to use him as trade bait.

I was wrong

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I knew he could do it seeing a play when he defended Steph Curry at the 3pt line in his rookie year. I actually didn't expect him to be anything more than dunking on offense.

9. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

Just need Hakeem to teach him a jumper and we got a dynasty.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The ceiling for Capela was there. I could see that. The problem was seeing it consistently enough. I was dubious we would see the consistency. We ARE seeing the consistency during the playoffs.

So I was wrong as well in that aspect.

(Note to forum members. You can be wrong. It is ok. If you know what i mean.....)

Hakeemtheking and cmlmel77 like this.
  11. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Not true. Some people are never wrong - the just aren't yet proven right. Yule C.

MorningZippo likes this.
  12. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

yep. Reminds me of the Mario story of Dream and Robinson the night they gave Robinson the MVP award. Dream told Mario that David had HIS award and went out and embarrassed him.

Plowman likes this.
  13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i just hoping to keep tabs on the clutch fans who think i'm crazy for saying that Capela will be maxed out by someone, and that ultimately we'll have to max him, trade him, or lose him for nothing like Parsons.

23 yr old center averaging 14/11 and 2 blocks (15/13/2.5 in the playoffs), and is still developing. + Plenty of teams with money and no talent

= Clint getting maxed

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Since we're all having a coming out party (no homo?) I can honestly say that I thought his kryptonite would be his lack of hands and awareness in the paint, both offensively and defensively.

On top of his lack of shooting touch... couldn't see him becoming more than a glorified role player in our system. He may still be a bit of that, but all his strengths have allowed us to overlook his major weaknesses.

Hopefully he hasn't peaked and we can get him moving even closer towards All-Star status.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Look at his Per. He is an all star if this is his new level of play.

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Very few people saw it coming. Capela is breaking out from game to game. Just an unbelievable growth for a player. Like I mentioned before, Capela and Oladipo have been the biggest upside surprises in these playoffs. They are not yet superstar level, but definitely stars.

Morey is going to have headaches this offsets trying to retain all or most of our players.

17. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think Capela is only going to get better. He’s still young and doesn’t have a lot of basketball years under his belt.

If he can become a true 32-34mpg player, which judging by these playoffs seems likely. He’ll be a legit 17/13/2 guy next season assuming he can get his FT percentage up to around 65% Rudy Gobert level.

His defensive had been impressive, he’s turned into exactly what we wanted and needed on that end. He’s been the best rim protector ever in the playoffs and it’s not close.

He’s outperformed two centers on both ends that were thought to be better than him. One guy being an all star and the other a dpoy guy.

Clint is special we gotta pay him and keep him. He’s not replaceable imo.

18. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

CJ/Damian and KyleL/D.Derozan had great seasson for their teams this year just like Beard/CP3, but when it counted the Blazers and Raptors got swept. The main piece they are missing is what we have. I'm going to buy me a Capela jersey.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Only following games last season on the internet, one thing he consistently did was put up quality plus/minus numbers.

As much as people underestimated his skill set, they also undervalue his raw athleticism including intangibles like soft hands, touch, and timing. His plus/minus consistency I think says he has always been a force defensively

20. lockmat

lockmat Member

Nailed it