1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela will be a star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 19, 2015.

1. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

But but but, Morey is terrible at drafting.

2. csc177

csc177 Member

Our new starting center

Code:
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/u5V3pSW.gif[/img]

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Mostly on potential, by watching him shoot FT. He shoots like a shooter, not like Howard, Shaq, or Mutombo.

I am not sure why he doesn't try any midrange shots. Maybe he can't shoot. But his mechanic seems sound.

Deckard likes this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There is a video clip of him on YouTube, making a 12 ft jumper for RGV in a D-League game. It was a confident shot with a high release point.
    Once he gets better at shooting jumpers, I think he will attempt them.

5. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

6. bberge

bberge Member

capela's touch around the basket is amazing. To me, his layups are more impressive than his dunks. sure, it shouldn't be that hard to convert at the rim, but tell that to Asik and (to a lesser extent) Dwight.

7. Normalus

Normalus Member

He has mid-range game, he was shooting them in France and just a poor guess why he doesn't try in NBA - it's coach's decision. Probably not so consistent and needs a large amount of repetition.

8. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I don't think we can conclude he has a mid range game, look at his shot chart for the Vipers this year, he took 15 total shots not directly by the rim all season, if he had a mid range game he would have used it there (I put no weight on his NBA shot selection yet, as his role will change over time). That being said, he does have a nice release and along with putting on weight, a mid range jumper would be a nice addition but it could be a little while.

http://stats.nbadleague.com/playerShotchart.html?PlayerID=203991&display-mode=performance

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Thanks. That's shot looks good. I don't follow his DLeague games and his Euro games. So I don't know if it's a fluke shot or a regular shot.

Anyway, like I said, his form looks good. And by judging his touch around the rim, I think he definitely has the potential to deveolop a good midrange game.

If Blake Griffin can learn to shoot a midrange, Capela's shot looks a lot prettier than Griffin's.

10. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Had to remove the code, but I can see the whole image now.

11. Normalus

Normalus Member

I don't think you can argue since, both, Rockets and Vipers play same basketball - it's either 3's or a lay-ups. And either you fit that role and play or you're sitting on the bench. That's about it. I was in Nike International Junior Tournament about 3 years ago and he was in love with his mid-range, although he was not very consistent with mechanics. In addition he was not that big at that moment, skinny guy at 6'8'' or 6'9'' only.

In this video below you can see two sweet jumpers from last year Hoop Sumit.
    [youtube]Y5BICh_Z82A[/youtube]

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Anyone else think he looks like a young Michael Jackson?

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Has there been any EU player entering the NBA that can't shoot? Seems to be s fundamental thing they stress. Even though his ft % is low, when I saw him shoot ft, I saw great form. He can develop a decent midrange and ft shot.

14. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

If Capela can give the Rockets 30 minutes of ball like he played in Game 1, the Rockets will be okay tonight. Capela was damned near perfect in Game 1.

15. souvlaki

souvlaki Member

Jan Vessely

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'd expect to get 20-25 minutes out of him tonight, depending on Smith and Jones. If the 2 of them are playing anything better than they did in game 1, it will cut into the need to play Capela big minutes.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

put Capela in when Warriors go small, he can guard on the perimeter

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

19. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

He's been right under our noses the ENTIRE TIME...Clint Capela is the "3rd Star" Maury's been looking for all along! :eek:

20. brooksstephens

He might have the slowest release on a shot in the NBA.

If he shows the touch, I'd love to see what Yao Ming could do with a guy like this coaching him on his release/back to the basket game for one off season.