1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela To Work With Dirk's Shooting Coach This Summer In Germany

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nejyh, Jun 5, 2015.

1. rockets13champs

Thts mirotic right now

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

My first impression on hearing this was I hope he won't fall in love with hitting jumpers, but I think he wants to add shooting skills to his pick and roll dunks.

He definitely needs to develop a jumper, and improve his free throws. I am happy he wants to play in the summer league.

I was hoping he would spend the off season working on low post offense, rebounding, defense and strength training.

He will need to work very hard on these aspects as well.

3. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah I agree with you. I would prefer he develops first other harder to learn skills like working in the post.
    maybe they plan to play twin towers next season and they prepare him.

4. htown7829

htown7829 Member

He'll be amongst the best floppers in the league now

5. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Yes! Clint's got great hands to be able to gather off that pnr with the options of 1) Dunking it from outside the circle 2) stopping and popping at close range 3) getting a an oop 4) getting doubled and passing it off to DMO/Smith/Jones/ or the initial passer rolling to the basket too. PNR with Smoove/DMO. The possibilites are endless. Clint on ISO over everybody? Get out of here!

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Up his FT% to 70-75% for the next few years and he is set.

7. baubo

baubo Member

Amare's post game improved significantly after working with Hakeem. So did Kobe and LeBron. Hakeem's stuff doesn't work with big stiff centers because Hakeem's not really a center in terms of his skillset.

8. i3artow i3aller

How many of those guy's were futbol strikers growing up? Clinty's soccer background will surely be a positive factor given his footwork.

9. eman

eman Contributing Member

If he can become a high-% FT shooter... Be still my beating heart!

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So he needs to work with Yao for his FT shooting then.

And work with with McHale for being the best 6th man ever.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He was hitting over 50% after that 0-15 start. There's no reason to think he can't continue to improve in that area. At the very least, he's close to eliminating himself as a prime "Hack-a" candidate since Silver and the league reportedly won't be doing anything about that this offseason.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

What you really want out of this is a turn around jumper. The Free throw is is only going to be 5-6 points. He needs a move he can rely on and then later he can develop a counter move and a pass out. Glad to see. This is the type of devastation we want to release on the Warriors. We will no longer live in the shadows.

13. delishman

delishman Member

Err. Meteor Man is awesome but he ain't ATR. Maybe compared to our friend from Argentina.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If it's Holgar he is a bit of a legend in Dallas. Don't know who else he has worked with but Dirk has been working with him since he was a teen.

15. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

A lot of guys who work out with Hakeem don't have the body figure to replicate Hakeem. Capela is the first player I've known that has/can have a atheltic long body like him.

And he's really young - mchale says he just soaks up learning like a sponge

16. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

All I know is... I cannot wait to watch Capela in the summer league playing more than 10 mins a game.

Watching D'mo dice up scrubs last year was such an absolute pleasure. I'm hoping Capela can have a similar impact with his defense, rolls, and putbacks.

17. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I'd be really disappointed if Morey trades this guy. He's the future at the center spot. If he develops a jumper, I can see him and Dwight playing together in the front court.

18. Remii

Remii Member

Several... Like Kobe and LeBron for example. But it's harder for big men to learn Dream's moves because of the footwork (according to him). But it's obvious D-Mo has been catching on and and I think CC will too. Those two probably played soccer when they were kids like Dream did. But D-Mo also already had a post game and could shoot and CC is raw. He's doing right by going to work with Dirk's shooting coach 1st.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Ugh...

He needs to work on increasing his core strength, banging and hitting his free throws.he is NEVER going to be a guy you dump the ball down in the post. He at best will be a good finisher and hit a decent amount of open 10-12 footers but that is all secondary pie in the sky stuff at this point. Worry about the basics.

Everyone sees young athletic 5's and talks about molding them into these polished post threats. You don't go from 0 to 60, you already develop skills that are innate at an earlier date. Tyson Chandler, DeAndre Jordan, Dwight Howard and Keon Clark all had zero post games and none other than Howard developed any, and with Howard he is going away from it. The guys that could put the ball on the floor or score inside already flashed those skills early on; Dream, Eddy Curry, Yao, Jefferson, Olajuwon, Duncan and Ewing. Ocassionaly you get the guys that develop as a shooter like Noah but that is added after the fundamentals.

Capela will be a rotational big that can block shots, guard most 4-5, rebound and finish inside. If we get lucky he hits 75% of his free throws and hits the open jumper.

The sky isn't the limit, but even what he will be is cry important.

20. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

I don't know why everyone thinks Capela is trying to evolve into some banger in the post. He probably going more for an Ibaka type game. Elite defender and pick and pop/roll. Him and dmo would make a really dynamic front court.