1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela to RGV Vipers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 10, 2014.

1. basketballholic

Teach the boy to shoot the 3-ball.

2. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

[​IMG]

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He just turned 20 and will look pretty raw out there. We'll need patience with this one, at least two years. At least he's got the stuff you can't teach: length and athleticism. Hopefully, he learns the rest.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I like the block at 1:07 even better. His man (realizing he's got a shot-blocker on him) decides to turn away from the defender for a hook shot. Capela rejects it anyway.

His potential as a rim-protector is tremendous.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

And people want him to be shooting 3's because???

I know people just absolutely hate the idea of "wasting" a roster spot on Capela this year and instead would rather have someone like Jeff Adrien but I don't think people realize that with a little patience this year, the Rockets could potentially have themselves a legitimate paint protector backing up Dwight for the next 3 years AFTER this year on a rookie contract making on average about 1.6 million per year.

If he works out this year to about 75% of what we expect of him you are looking at a major hole filled on a value contract for at least 3 more seasons beyond this one. Why people don't see this, I really have no clue. That's well worth the roster spot this year IMO.

6. basketballholic

Teach the boy to shoot the 3-ball. A rim protector with that skinny frame that can step out to the corner and knock it down is very, very valuable in today's NBA. Just ask Serge.

Doh..wait. We don't have a shooting coach!

7. chandlerbang21

Ibaka is one of the best MIDRANGE shooters in the league so Capela should learn that instead.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The dude is long. He's listed at 6'10" and looks every inch of that. Heck, he's probably still growing. Looks to have a frame that can be built up. Doesn't have "stick legs," either. Those blocks look effortless.

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

He was a great pick. I can't believe the folks who think he is a bust. I am still predicting that he will be only the playoff roster and will contribute against certain teams.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

While I agree with that a good rim protector is necessary and that his contract is favorable, the kid is raw as hell. There's a chance he might not pan out at all (like many big men do). We're stuck with him now, but I would have much rather traded the pick. As we saw with Yao and T-mac, a core can easily crumble in a few years. Especially with Dwight not getting any younger.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Based on that short video, Capela is, of course, raw but he also seems to be fundamentally sound at the same time. He has definitely been coached well IMO. He always has his hands up ready to catch a pass, he runs the floor hard and isn't afraid to move his feet laterally. Those are all great skills/habits that many NBA bigs NEVER learn.

THIS is a guy who Hakeem could do great things with.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Actually he measured up at 6'11 with a 7'5 wingspan (9'3 standing reach).

He's massive. It's basically the same measurements as Dwight

[[Anthony Davis has a 9'0 standing reach.]]

1 person likes this.
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Traded the pick for what exactly? What great deal was there on draft day last Summer that was going to net the Rockets anything that would have been close to the possibility of getting 4 cheap years of a backup 5 behind Dwight?

Not saying Capela is going to work out, but what other great alternatives were out there on draft night with that pick that you know of that would have greatly contributed to the core of Harden and Howard immediately and in the future?

I'm not really understanding what the huge problem people have with this. Even the best teams of all time draft young players. There is reason why EVERY team in the league gets 2 draft picks a year despite whether they are good or not.

You know what... you guys are right. Les should have renounced their stake in ownership of the Vipers as well... I mean... The Rockets have a short window with Harden and Howard, and need to be focused on that core. Best if the franchise ditches their time and effort down there so their assistant coaches, and development guys can focus squarely on the core that can win a championship.

14. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I like this kid...is raw, but from what little I've seen of him, he's 10x better than Dorsey.

15. dje243

dje243 Member

They need to get Hakeem in to work with him quickly and someone to help with his shot.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If the Spurs had drafted Capela, the same people who are criticising the Rockets for drafting him would be praising the Spurs. 'great pick, could be an excellent backup big for them in years to come'

1 person likes this.
  17. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

...@52 second mark of video, it looks like he's in the lane for at least 6 seconds.

Nice smooth shot blocking, long arms, nice timing & quick jumping...a lot to like about Clint.

18. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

THERE IT IS!!!!

T_Man

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I like these videos of Capela. Just going to be 2-3 years.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Rockets aren't stuck with him, they're investing in him. They were offered future first round picks for him.