1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela officially signs deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jul 23, 2014.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

In scouting report, it said streaky shot! At 19 yrs old, that's not bad. Remember Clyde had NO shot when he came out of UH. Give him time.

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Q/ for someone who has followed the Capela drafting process closer than me (due to going on holiday with no internet).

But was the goal for Capela to be stashed overseas if we landed a bosh/melo etc star player. i imagine it was or else he would of being signed alot faster since he signed for the full 120%.

also what the hell went on with this FIBA clearence, why did it take so long when i know other players over the years have got clearances straight away, seems to me like it was just morey not wanting to bring him over right away.

3. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

No internet? Did you go to a third world place?

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Kinda kinda didn't, bali (Indonesia) but our hotel's Internet didn't work for some reason, resturents had spotty internet but I couldn't keep up with all the threads on people like Capela, mainly just followed breaking news and when transactions actually happen

5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

6. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Jones? Really?

Jones was a beast for us last season. What makes you think Capela will take his spot?

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I have no idea what you are talking about here other than being salty still about not matching Parsons' contract.

Low ball Capela???.... Low ball him about what? He's signed for 120%!!! of his rookie allotted salary. That's not what I consider low balling. Who says Morey is trying to trade him other than loony's like Basketcaseahollic? Morey hasn't traded D-Mo or Jones yet. He hasn't traded Canaan or Covington yet. Why would he trade Capela right this second? If he's so terrible why would he be needed for every little trade Morey might or might not do?

Did he low ball Parsons???... Well sure of course. You know who else got low balled???.... Every single restricted free agent ever by the team holding their matching rights.

Of course Morey low balled Parsons just as Phoenix is low balling Bledsoe, Chicago did with Asik a few years ago, and Memphis low balled Marc Gasol a few years ago. At the end of the day they are either going to match a max offer or your not. However if they aren't getting contract offers that you can match than there is literally no point whatsoever in offering a contract that obviously is over market value.

Not only did Parsons get a max offer, but he also got a ridiculously terrible contract.... Morey thought it was over-market value and didn't match. Not matching was the right decision IMO. However its his fault in the first place that they even put themselves in that position to begin with.

Morey made a mistake going into free agency this year... (actually he made 2). However those 2 mistakes have no bearing whatsoever on Clint Capela, Nick Johnson, or previously with D-Mo, Jones, Canaan etc. There is no reason to take a dump on Capela just because you are salty about the Parsons/Morey situation. Two different worlds.

#107 dobro1229, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I see he averaged a solid 9/7 overseas.

Whatever, we all know he has pretty significant upside, but he might be a couple years from being a couple years away.

Hopefully he develops quickly and can contribute by his 2nd or 3rd season.

9. AXG

AXG Member

10. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Capela will show us the meaning of "throw her down" with his dunks, something that Asik should have done more often.

11. Raven

Raven Member

Unfortunately? Yeah, it would be awful if he ended up getting let out of his contract one year early, so he could sign a Max contract. :rolleyes:

It's the very fact that Morey views rookies as assets that they get more playtime and opportunities. This works out for them as much as it works out for the Rockets. Lots of journeyman players, around the league, guys making enough money to live a very very comfortable life, first got their reputation by playing for Morey. Guys like Landry, Budinger, Hayes, and Brooks. Would the undrafted Hayes have ever gotten a chance if Morey hadn't tossed him a life preserver?

Unfortunately, indeed. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  12. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Some of the posters around here can't be more than 12.

Morey treats his players as well or better than most but there isn't a GM in the NBA (not a good one at least) that doesn't view his players as assets. Anyone that manages assets knows that your assets are only valuable if they increase in value while you own them. You sell assets that are declining in value(like Lin). Morey understands this perfectly unlike many of the geniuses on this board.

This is the main reason that losing CP for nothing hurts. We had an asset that had increased in value exponentially and we got nothing for it. I assure you that Morey is more pissed about it than anyone on this board.

1 person likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Most likely, the FIBA clearance was delayed as Rockets didn't know if they were going to bring him over, stash him, or trade him.

1 person likes this.
  14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Yep, also it's interesting to note that Capela's camp was adamant since day 1 about coming over right away. He was hanging out at Vegas Summer League with McHale and Morey. Very cool to see this kind of motivation from a guy with a reputation of being a slacker.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah I am a tad salty but not without reason. He has no results to show so far which is true.

We gave away everyone we developed as far as I can think back.
    And Les and him also did not retain the services of JVG and Adelman instead we are dealing with a rookie coach McHale.
    No good assistant coaches so far.

(Gay-not Morey's fault but he was an assistant GM), Landry, Brooks, Lin (first time), Landry, Batum, Parsons

Picked Morris over Kawhi, picked Royce White
    The whole debacle with Terrence Williams, Jonny Flynn, Thabeet.......

He basically hit and miss throught half a decade to acquire 2 stars that are flawed and need a third star or super role players.

Ok I am giving credit for not giving up and still gambling to improve the team but I do not see an end to this except that he needs to obtain more stability in this organization.

This has been an ongoing exchange of mediocre, below or above average players.
    Good coaches have left the team and mediocre ones have replaced them.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

To come back to Capela.
    This kid is no guarantee so I won't be blindly hyping this guy.
    If he works hard, he has the tools to become an NBA role player, perhaps more.

I think Morey might have lost it. He seems like a kid always chasing after the moon in the well.

After Yao he had mediocre teams but he still made it to winning seasons.

Now that he has 2 superstars again the team rose to the Top 8 of the league, very good but still not good enough to contend.

He is always chasing, and it might not be enough.
    He does not have the best player in the league nor does he have the best coach or the best system.

17. CertifiedTroll

Talk about flying elbow! (40 second markish)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/k6ZOnlpml1M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Trust me Raven your beloved Morey would have never ever ever let Parsons out of his contract a year early if he had known he was going to get a poison pill contract of that magnitude and lose him. Misjudging the free agent market is another story, Morey took a huge gamble and lost. Next year Parsons was going to be a unrestricted free agent and he was caught between a rock and a hard place IMO. What I meant as far saying the word 'unfortunately' is I don't see Capela being on the rockets for long with all the prior player turnover that's gone on during Morey's tenure. I'm a huge fan of Daryl Morey and feel he's done a fantastic job in acquiring 2 super stars, but even the best GMs make mistakes. The rockets are in a win now mode and in the hunt for the 3rd star, all of their young assets they own are currently for sell if that can help them acquire their big 3 IMO. I have never seen Capela play so know very little about him, but have read he's got tons of upside, so I hope he turns out to be one of those hidden gems that Morey has found late in the draft in one of the deepest drafts I've seen in memory.

19. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I'm sure he will spend time with the Vipers. However, I'm also sure that Capela already is enrolled in Dream School. He is the same weight and height as the Dream coming out of college and looks like he has some of the same qualities. If Olajuwon can impart his discipline and work ethic to Capella, we might have a player. D-Mo and CC could be an interesting pairing if they each achieve a modicum of their potential.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You have a right to be salty as I have been as well. Morey made 2 huge mistakes leading up to this Summer related to the Parsons/FA situation.

A. He mis-evaluated Parson's mission/vision goals going into free agency, and ultimately should have had the forsight to see that he needed to trade Parsons for something before June 30th or be ready to see him walk for nothing. IMO something is better than nothing. He wanted to be a star, and wanted out. He was going to find a way out somehow.

B. The premature LinJaculation. He made a huge mistake by not putting a deadline on Bosh to make a decision that was tied to moving Lin & Asik's deadlines. Moving the pick (which will have GREAT value if the Rockets miss the playoffs this year) to get rid of Lin was a horrible move that now proves to be unnecessary. I wanted Lin traded as much as anyone, but would have much rather let him wait out this year on the bench than see that pick go for no good reason.

So Yes... you have a right to be salty. However I would still hope a poster with a history such as yourself would be able to be object about things that have happened outside of the spectrum of July 2014.

Clint Capela & his potential as a Rockets shouldn't be thrust into the cataclysm that is the Parsons/Lin/Bosh conundrum. He deserves fair objective criticism outside of the Parsons/Morey dilemma.

Now to the draft pick nit-picking. I honestly don't have time to go through every single transaction here and tell you why you shouldn't give a s$%#, but let me pick one-

-T-Will, Flynn, Thabeet, and might as well throw Jordan Hill in there-

You do realize that Morey gave up NOTHING to get these guys don't you? Morey got a pick back for J. Hill, and got a pick (that ended up being D-Mo) in the SALARY DUMP of Thabeet. That more than counteracts the pick (which was the ONLY asset of value) Morey gave up to get T-Will.

While we are on this subject... Do you know what player was taken with the draft pick used to acquire T-Will???.....

Shane Larkin.

Morey took a gamble on a few high-upside prospects in a time where the Rockets needed to rebuild anyways, and actually MADE GROUND in terms of assets.

Who gives a S$#%??? Why does anyone really still care that Morey acquired the 09 draft class for pretty much nothing??? Because he could have been playing Jeff Adrien more minutes???

We went through about 2 years of heavy roster turnover. We lost some really good players to some potentially all-star level players (Lowry & Dragic).

However I dont think that was the case with Parsons & it shouldn't be with on-going players coming off their rookie deals (we will find out soon enough with Beverley this next Summer). Parsons is/was viewed as the same caliber of a player like a Lowry, or a Dragic IMO.

The fact is, the old pre-H&H Morey (09 - 12) would have traded Parsons last year before going into free agency when his value was peaking as an asset in order to get another asset that could be then flipped. Pre H&H Morey might even be smarter than post H&H Morey where he actually backs off of his second nature asset gathering moves.

That's obviously not the case now. Its also obvious because D-Mo and Jones are still on the roster & are obviously being developed now to contribute rather than to showcase for a trade.

Things are different now after the H&H acquisition. I dont know how anyone could see that as any other way. How else would you explain the signing of Ariza? Pre H&H Morey would have laughed off the idea of acquiring a veteran role player making 8 mil per.

So again.... I think you and others have a right to be salty about Morey's 2 major sins of the Summer, but lumping every single transaction of the past 8 years to explain one singular thought process about Morey, the Rockets players, & the other Rockets brass is not very objective.

#120 dobro1229, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014