1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela - Looking Good in Preseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROCKETrobert, Oct 8, 2015.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

What Oden were you watching. He never resembled anything that looked dominate even when he was healthy. He started looking like he could rebound and play some defense when he wasn't hurt his offense never looked respectable.

2. Rokman

Rokman Member

Clint Capela will one day have people compared against him! That's how good he's gonna be. :p

3. alethios

alethios Member

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Interesting post. If he can avoid fouling I think he could effectively guard LaMarcus. How man players can defend the post and do a decent job also on the perimeter.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

also, how often do we really see a back-to-the-basket post up anymore?

i think the added muscle he put on this summer was a good idea, but no more is needed to hold his ground against most post players.

the ability to have your center switch on the PnR is much greater (and much more often needed) than to guard a big post player.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

You must have been too busy watching Rockets. He had a 4-5 game stretch that he was reasonably healthy (even when he played, he usually looked hurt) and putting up numbers similar to what Dwight does for the Rockets. Oden's issue was health and offense. Defense and rebounding skill was there in spades.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Well guys like Blake and LA do play with their backs to the basket so he does still need to add some more weight. Probably not that much as his body matures since he's still pretty young. But regardless a little more weight is still needed.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Watch the game not the box score. Lots of players have 4 to 5 game stretches. Also, the original comparison was to Shaq not Dwight. Oden never ever ever ever resembled a true dominate big man in the form of Shaq or even Dwight (who is certainly no Shaq himself).

Even when both he and Pryzbilla were both healthy he was never able to completely wrestle the starting spot from him.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

I really love the fact that every single team in our division has a legit big man for Capela to test against.

Duncan, LMA, Gasol, ZBo, Brow, Dirk. Lots of different skillsets.

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Oden was cursed with disproportionate leg length causing a series of setbacks. But his combination of skill and size was always something they thought would have propel him to a hall of fame career. Since his Ohio State days analysts pretty much had him as next all time big to enter the league.

11. cebu

cebu Member

potential facial turned to awesomeness..

waiting for this to happen against Durant.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And here's hoping the refs don't fellate LMA whenever Capela guards him.

I don't go around saying the NBA is fixed, but I do feel the refs / league office favor(s) those teams with a storyline.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Did watch. He was never healthy. At his healthiest, he controlled the boards and held down the defense. Only saw him reasonably healthy for a few games then he was hurt again.

14. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I am way too high on Capela. I truly believe he can be a top tier big man (not Cousins lite, but DeAndre/Tyson)

The amount of growth he showed throughout last season shows tons of promise when talking about his upside. He didn't look like he belonged in the NBA in his first year early on, then turned into a contributer on a contending playoff team. That growth just speaks volumes to his ability to improve himself and take to coaching. A lot of those young upside players don't show this trait, it's usually just hoping they suddenly just get it.

He's the exact center you want in the modern NBA. Incredibly long, athletic, fantastic rolling ability, ability to guard effectively on the perimeter and in PnR, and quick hands. He's not going to be an elite defender just yet because he needs some seasoning, but in 2-3 years I see him at that point.

From preseason he's showed flashes of passing ability and a soft touch around the rim.

Call me crazy, but if Dwight leaves in FA or just can't stay healthy, Capela will be able to take over. He won't be the superstar Dwight was in Orlando, but he could give us Dwight's defense (Capela actually contests shooters) and the alley oop threat Dwight was. Only worry is will he be the rebounding force Dwight was.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Bullard brought something up I was thinking about earlier this week...Capela gets pretty low, for a big man, when he defends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Naismith

Naismith Member

Sad but True

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Doesn't surprise me at all. He played soccer until he was 13 while growing up. It will give you great footwork for all other team sports.

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

I think it's important to remember that we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg with Capela. Try to remember Hakeem in his first years at UH. Clint is still in the early stages of developing his overall game. Just like Hakeem, it's going to take years for Clint to develop his offensive Arsenal. Clint just turned 21 years old. When Hakeem was 21, he was still at UH, and his offensive game was still very raw.

It's impossible to know what Clint will eventually develop into at this stage. But, at the very least, it appears he is well on his way to being an excellent defender and rebounder. In todays NBA that alone makes him very a valuable player.

What all this means is that we shouldn't be all that concerned about what happens when Dwight's career comes to and end with the rockets.

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'll be ecstatic if he turns into Mutombo. Expecting him to have The Dream's offensive repertoire is just not going to happen.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Even though Dream was raw at UH, his touch was very evident. He made plenty of turn-around jumpshots there. I want Clint to emulate TD on the offensive end. Nothing flashy. Just effective.