1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela is a mediocre rebounder and a low IQ defender

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1510 Polk St, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

If there's a sense that we can make a LBJ or PG13 acquisition next year I'd trade Cap, Ryno + a pick for Jordan. I know that's a lot, but I don't see Ryno getting moved without a 1st attached to him and you can't get DJ without giving up something more (i.e. Cap). We'd be screwed at PF, but it's not like we're getting much from Ryno anyway and if it helps us clear Ryno's $$ for next summer I'm all for it. It'd be a total setup for next year move though.

Crashlanded19 and Beardaholic13 like this.
  2. Mr. Space City

i like capela but chris paul is 32 and we don't have the time to keep waiting for capela to finally turn into the player we all feel he can turn into.

Invisible Fan, Rox11, OTMax and 4 others like this.
  3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

We always get stars just slightly beyond their prime.

4. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Cliipers Jordan will come next year

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Say whatever you want, but you can't say he's a mediocre rebounder this year. Clint has absolutely been an ELITE rebounder this season.

4th best rebounder in the league behind only Drummond, Jordan and Whiteside.

BigMaloe and D-rock like this.
  6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It's tough, because Capela has been really good this year, and seems like he may continue to get better for several more years and become a late blooming all star. But if we're going for it this year, we may need someone who's more fully developed as a rebounder and rim protector.

7. juanm34

juanm34 Member

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Right

Could you imagine what we would have thought 7 years ago if we were told in the future the Rockets would have acquired Chris Paul and Dwight Howard... the best freaking players at their positions, all NBA championship caliber players, future HOFS ... AS WELL as having traded for a young player who was going to develop into a top 5 MVP caliber talent.

I would have been certain we would be winning multiple rings lmao.

D-rock likes this.
  9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

This is off topic but Tobias Harris would be a great fit at the PF position for us.

Ryno when he's hitting his threes at 40+ % is a real game changer for us and makes us damn near unbeatable.

But he's been really bad the last 10 games and is a huge negative when on the court.

Tucker has been pretty bad also.

We need Luc and harden back asap so Ryno and tucker can go back to playing 18 min a game when they don't have the juice.

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Capela is fourth in rebound rate for centers, behind Whiteside, Drummond, and Jordan. He is as close to 2nd as he is to 5th. His rebounding is fine. His defense is fine too. The Rockets want him to be a shot blocker, and he is among the league leaders there as well.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Late blooming? He's barely 23 now and he's already putting up per 36 numbers that are All-Star level. I don't think the problem is Capela. I think the problem is Nene and Black aren't playing up to expectations. If we could upgrade the back up center spot we'd be in a much better position.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Part of Capela's defensive issues stems from anticipation and understanding of angles in the paint. Think that will come with experience. Capela is gonna carve out a nice NBA career, and his best attribute is that he is always willing to learn. I do wish the Rockets really devout a lot of time to him to improve his post play on defense and offense. This year he has shown some ability to catch in the post, dribble and then attack the rim. That wasn't there as much before. I dont know what the Rockets are gonna do with Clint in the offseason...tough choices.

charlieaustin likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Answer is Nerlens Noel. Perfect back up to Clint.

14. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

I remember when Clint first stepped foot on the floor as a Rocket in the preseason several years ago. Completely lost and the definition of raw. From then and now he has made a quantum leap. Low IQ is easily confused with lack of experience. Clint is still very young and considering where he was a few years ago compared to where he is now there is a very good chance he will get much better in the future.

Deckard and Rocket River like this.
  15. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I love Clint, but he is the key to moving Ryno and the only possible way this team gets any value out of a trade deadline deal. Clint is at 2M this year and an FA after the season - one can expect that next year he'll be close to the Deandre salary range and looking for ~20M annually. I wouldnt be surprised at all to see Ryno and Clint packaged as part of a deal for a strong PF and adequate C (or vice versa).

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is this adjusted for his low minutes?

Rocket River

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: How replaceable is Clint?

I think that is the question. Can you get a player at his level with the same money you will spend on him this off season
    Who are those players?

Rocket River

18. basketballholic

Capela will never have DeAndre's physique. Never. He doesn't have the frame for it.

19. joeson332

joeson332 Member

troll

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

No. Playing limited minutes may allow him to exert more effort in that time, which could improve rate stats like rebound rate, but even if that is the case, his numbers are probably not SO inflated that it would move him way down the board.