1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela/Artis Gilmore's Drop Step & Jump Hook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 30, 2017.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'll start off by saying Clint Capela was our best choice on offense last year. He shot 64.3% from the field, but only played 24 minutes per game. I think his percentages can easily come down some and make him an overall bigger threat out there. Like a higher volume threat that opens up everyone else on the regular.

So I was watching old film of Artis Gilmore while thinking about how dominant Hakeem was. Hakeem had a million moves and what he did just isn't very easy. He was a master. Clint is no master, but neither was Artis. What Artis was, was effective.

His drop step (please note that Artis is a lefty and Clint is a righty so everything would have to be flipped):

[​IMG]

So Clint would have to get the ball on the left block for this move to work. You fake once inside, drop step outside and move towards the basket. The mechanics are simple and effective. Clint is a hard worker, so if he does this move 100s of times a day, he'll have it down. It's subtle, but there are two moves here. The second is a shot from close when the defender doesn't bite on the fake.

If he masters this move, so what.. people will learn how to defend it. True, but there's a counter to this move. The turnaround in place jumper.

Two examples of the turnaround jumper from either side (again flip everything, notice on one side he shoots one handed, the other with two)

[​IMG]

He always turns baseline in every move, but the simplicity of it works. There's counters for the moves so if the defender tries to get in close, you go to the basket with it. If he gives you room, shoot over him.

How's he going to get the ball in the pick and roll? The Spurs cut off the basket from us last playoffs because every time we went to the basket, we were trying to dunk the ball. Sometimes Clint needs to stop short if that's not open and wait for the ball on the low block. Other times, the point guard will get to the basket only to discover it's well defended and Clint can bail out the point by sagging. So if they clog the paint, take the low block and make a quick post move.

Yes, it's not as efficient as a dunk, but the dunk won't always be there. Time to add some caveats to Capela's arsenal.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Every big man should be doing hundreds of drop steps and the counters that go with drop steps daily.

It is the drop step that is the foundation for literally every move, even up to the Hakeem Olajuwon level.

3. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Artis is 7-2
    Capela is 6-9, he needs to play more like amare and a little like artis.

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Sarcasm? Was Deandre Jordan the best choice in the league on offense at 71.4% from the field? I'd like to see Capela develop, but I doubt he becomes a reliable option on the block especially with the system we run. We're not throwing the ball to him looking for a drop step. Harden and CP3 are masters at creating offense. Gordon is the sixth man of the year. Capela will be lucky to get anything but lobs.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

How was Capela our best choice on offense? His FG% is so high because the vast majority of his attempts are created by someone else. He's not that good at getting his own. I think he has some promise on the low block since he seems to have a soft touch and isn't an uncoordinated stiff. Maybe one day he'll become a reliable option in the post.

I want 15 points, 10 boards, and at least 2 blocks from him this year while averaging 30 mpg.

Chanmarr, HTX Ninja and larsv8 like this.
  6. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

You got too much time on your hands dude...

7. don grahamleone

Do we need to discuss how you don't have enough time? I've had this conversation with a few drama queens, but never a man. What do you need from me to feel better?

8. don grahamleone

Yes, Deandre Jordan is the best choice on offense in the league. If you can get him a lob, he's money. That play is absolutely the best offense in the NBA. How much else can he do? Not much, but IF he's available for a lob, you give him that ****. Are you thinking when you type? When you read? Did I ask Clint to run the offense? Hell no. Just add a couple of moves to his arsenal because he's money when they can get it to him. High percentage offense good, poor percentage bad. Confusing or something?

I clearly set out a section at the bottom of when to get him the ball on the low block. Did you read that or fast forward through it and just hit reply?

9. don grahamleone

Yeah, let's play keep away from the highest percentage shooter? WTF? He's the first option in a PnR because if he's left open at the basket, he's money. I'm trying to make him valuable when the rim is protected.

10. CertifiedTroll

It would be an early member of the site trying to discuss basketball fundamentals. That isn't what this place is about!!

Incoherent ranting, sarcasm, sources, sarcasm.

11. jch1911

jch1911 Member

You forgot melo-drama

12. omgTHEpotential

I don't buy that Capela is 6-9. No ****ing way. Dude looks at the very least 6'11. I'd say even 7'0.

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. don grahamleone

Yeah, because sarcasm defeats basketball fundamentals every time, right?

Somebody out there is bound to still like the game right? That's why we're here aren't we? Because we love the Rockets? And we like discussing improvement?

14. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

I don't agree with every point you're making but I do believe Clint is really gonna surprise some people with how good he is in a couple of years....

I've seen a few move and dribble drives that end with spin move layups that lead me to believe that Clint has more game than he's shown. It's just not part of the offense yet.....

Only problem is that it would be like telling Shaq to stop the drop step and dunk to shoot 15ft jumpshots... Don't stop the lobs and pick and rolls until you have to....

15. Coach E

Coach E Member

Just no...

Catch lobs or catch a pass take one dribble dunk.

Practice put backs.

That's the current Role of a C

16. don grahamleone

All the antagonism tells me I'm on to something. When people try to pigeonhole you, there's an opportunity. There's space. If no one thinks you can do it, proving them wrong is what the game is about. Gotta love basketball for that. Do what they think you can't do.. well.

All this offensive opportunity is there for Capela when teams counters and guards the rim. All you idiots seem to think that you should keep hammering into the defense the same way and hope it works. News flash, it stopped working when the Spurs made it a priority. Any smart coach in the league will copy, but another news flash.. we're still a PnR team. Gotta adjust or become a dinosaur. The smart man/woman looks for opportunity when the way is blocked. I have an answer, ya'll got nothing. Otherwise you'd come up with something.

I look forward to innovators and innovation. Quips without any actual reasoning is asinine.

RudyTBag likes this.
  17. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Honstely, gramham dude i been here since your momma had you in the sac. I dont like your choice of vibrant put downs, it shows how much you lack skills of verbatim. Honestly we could of done better in the draft and have gotten a fierce PowerFoward like a Chris Weber type PowerFoward but if clint is all that houston could of gotten in the draft so be it...

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  18. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

I rather have him doing the Iblocka. Hit the open shots or go hard for the lob. Yes it would be great if he have some low post move, but doing so it will clog up the paint. Not something you want to be doing when you have Harden/ Cp3.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he can bust a few drop steps in the middle of some of these rolls to the rim. I really love how much his left and right hand jump hooks have developed too. I'd really love to see him improve his finishing off the bounce pass sort of like Nene. Right now he is clearly more proficient when the pass is high, but If he could snag a bounce pass and explode, or use a quick drop step, it would give CP3 and Beard more options to deliver him the ball in crowded areas.

20. don grahamleone

Yeah, I agree. You don't want to clog up the paint in general, but this is specifically for beating a team that clogs the paint every time we run the PnR. That's what San Antonio did to us in the playoffs. They made Clint really ineffective when they did. They started out letting Clint go to the rim, but then Pop made the adjustment. There were two guys in the paint every time we ran PnR. Shots weren't falling from deep so we were SOL. My idea is to make us not SOL when teams clog the paint.

So the idea is that instead of rolling hard to the basket, Clint rolls to the low block for a very deep post up. If you look at the top post at the gifs, there's some wasted movement in those moves that can be simplified even more if need be. But to agree with your original idea on not crowding the paint, that's not really an issue here. I'm trying to get Clint out of the paint and on the low block. Does that make sense? Like Clint becomes more of a trailing roller in the PnR. Instead of going to the basket, you roll to the low block.