1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela 21 years old with potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by peleincubus, Nov 8, 2015.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Clint is now eligible i guess with minutes played, and leading the NBA in FG %

pretty awesome that he is only 21 years old. hopefully he can stay healthy this year and the rockets end up with an extremely solid bench by the playoffs.

in my opinion dmo should still come off the bench

pg beverley
    sg thorton
    sf brewer
    pf dmo
    c capela

extremely solid. i'm just hoping for good health.

as far as dmo coming off the bench instead of starting i think is smart because he can create offense better than jones.

dmo/capela; jones/howard is better than

jones/capela; dmo/howard

2. Normalus

Normalus Member

basketball is nothing like ice hockey where you rotate 5 players at once every time, but our bench looks legit

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The starting lineup is more important than the bench, the starters need spacing, so much so that we look better playing thornton even with the huge defensive issues it creates than with jones. We could use a post threat too.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is developing into a genuine rim protector. His 4 block shots against the Kings were very impressive.

1 person likes this.
  5. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Agreed. Most starters are getting 30+ minutes per game anyways. Another factor is that I do think Jones can do better defensively against oppenents 2nd unit.

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I liked his poise when the Clips were hacking him and he shot his FTs calmly.

He was also outmatched by Griff and DJ, but he didn't put his head down, and he was able to get some dunks in, tit for tat.

Who could have foreseen when he 'forced' Rockets to sign him last year that he would be legit this soon? Thanks, Clint, for believing in yourself.

7. whathappened

whathappened Member

The clippers broadcast mentioned that he is averaging 9pts, 7rbs, 2 blks under 19 minutes and is the only player EVER to do it

8. vince

vince Member

Getting guys like Capella consistently, are a reminder that Morey is one of the top GMs, he gets top 10 talent as far back as the 2nd round. Not all of it pans out, but he does hit on a great deal of them.

9. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

motie is needed just as much with howard.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Clint certainly looks damn good for someone that still seems to have so much potential left. The guy is averaging 8.6 PPG, 6.6 RPG and 1.9 BPG in less than 20 minutes a game. That is pure gold. Howard and Capela could be the best 1/2 punch the NBA has seen in many years.

He is a max contract waiting to happen if he continues to improve at the pace he is improving.

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

Capela is doing great and almost 80% on FGs does not happen by accident. He has those long arms and seems to learn quickly. His blocks are impressive indeed. He blocked DJ straight up tonight. This guy will be great and really hope we keep him for years to come.

12. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Morey: "So Dwight I'm gonna need you to take a pay cut so we can give Clint a max instead"

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

How long are rookie contracts? 4 years? Depending on how long of an extension Dwight signs(assuming he opts out next summer), Clint could be ready to take over the starting spot(and get paid max money) just as Dwight starts to decline.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Although I am very impressed by his shot blocking and defensive potential, I don't see much upside in him on offense.

He has no post moves or footwork. He may develop a jump hook. I think he will become a good center eg Tyson Chandler, but if a star front court player becomes available, I would consider including him in a trade.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

if i did i didn't mean to imply that.

i just meant at every position there is a solid backup. which is pretty rare. regardless enjoy it now because when durant comes to the rockets it will take some of that away ;)

16. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I see the franchise center of the future.

17. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Sounds a lot like you're describing Dwight or Deandre, 2 max guys.

Not saying Capela is there yet, but big guys these days don't really need to be ultra skilled offensively as long as they are hyper athletic and play above the rim on both ends

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Capela seems to be extremely far ahead of the curve. This is the equivalent of early in his rookie year. Who knows how far he will develop. I am guessing he will be more than adequate as our starter post Dwight. Maybe even star potential.

Seems to be a positive on both ends already.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Just a thought, Ariza has been shooting awfully, if he doesn't pick up his play, and Thornton continues to ball, maybe we could experiment with him coming off the bench like Iggy does with the Warriors.

Lawson / Beverley
    Thornton / Ariza
    Harden / Brewer
    Motie / Jones
    Howard / Capela

It might have issues with defense, but it certainly can't be worse then our current lineup and it would give ultimate spacing with 4 35%+ 3pt shooters around Howard.

20. Newlin

Newlin Member

I really wish Capela could get some more D-League time. Yes, the D-League. I think Clint has the potential to have a nice low post game. I think he wants to try to use it too. In the preseason, a couple of times he got position down low and was calling for the ball. He also attempted a couple of hook shots. Also, last year in the D-League I saw him knock down a few shots facing the basket.

I really wish we could send him to the D-League for about 10 games and just feed him the ball, time after time. Unfortunately, we need him too much as a back up center with the Rockets to give him D-League time.

Capela has great size for a PF, but is not huge for a center, compared to many other centers in the league. If he could develop his offensive game to include some moves a few feet away from the basket, then he will become a real weapon on offense.