1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela...$12 million man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 7, 2018.

1. ballscientist1

3 free agents championship-level starters and 4 quality free agent benches

If I were an owner, I would let all 7 free agents know It is impossible to pay everyone market salary.

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Where do you come up with this nonsense?

Nerlens Noel was highly sought after before the trading deadline last year. As a Restricted Free Agent Nerlens
    received practically no bids. He is earning a whopping $4.2 million this season. Teams had more money last
    season to spend.

If Capela signs an offer for 18+ million + trade kicker or whatever. The Rockets will turn to Nerlens Noel.
    Or Dedmon after opting out of his current contract with his player option.

Same thing the Rockets went thru with Parsons. Morey had Ariza on stand-by. Your nonsense is just
    silly. The system will make the next guy better.....with on the money passes from CP3 and Harden.
    I guarantee Dedmon would work in our system every bit as well as Capela. Question is will
    Capela work in every other system without Harden or CP3.

I’ve told you before, Beverley was a system player. A Point Guard who doesn’t run the team. His job was to
    cross mid-line and give the ball to Harden. Bev was not a penetrate and dish guy. Just an off the ball shooter
    whom we asked to somewhat guard PG’s so that Harden doesn’t have too.

1) The Rockets ask their centers to screen, roll, receive a lob, and then dunk.
    2) Rebound
    3) Block shots/alter shots

Not worthy of max money. Sorry. If Capela what’s max.....then Morey would consider long and hard.
    Viewing other options. Just like he did with Parsons.

Dedmon can do all of these things with the great Rockets supporting cast.

As you know since you are a Warriors fan. Since when have the Warriors gone big money on a Center?
    Cavs? Tristan Thompson? They regret it.

Bogut? Teams regretted giving Bogut a big contract.
    Mozgov? Teams regret giving Mozgov big money.
    Brook Lopez? Teams regret giving Lopez max money.
    Etc.

Cousins will get max......A Davis will get max $.....because they also shoot 3’s and post up. Capela does not.
    Teams are not going to create cap space to give a RFA like Capela big money......greater than $20 mil.
    Not even Mark Cuban is that dumb. Pushing the Rockets into going the cheaper route plays against
    the Warriors favor. Against the Mavs favor as well. Rockets will sign a top free agent regardless of
    if Capela re-signs or the Rockets get another Center on the cheap. Maybe the Rockets bring in
    David West. That would improve the Rockets and hurt the Warriors.

Deuce, buffalobills!!! and kevtse like this.
  3. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

LOL at thinking Dedmon is every bit as good as Capela.

Noel didn't have a market because he's not that good. He was traded for 2nd rd picks for a reason. You don't throw a bunch of money to a RFA who got shown the door by one team and struggled to an 8 pts, 5 reb season while not starting.

Capela is a top 10 rebounding, 15-11 guy who leads the league in eFG%, is only 23 and still improving. He has a super high ceiling who has developed a floor of a top 10 center.

That's a guy who gets paid in RFA.

felixng2012 and YaoMing#1 like this.
  4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets keep him we are 1-3 seed material.

We lose capela and we are 6th seed material at best.

The new nba with zero rim protection and zero inside moves this guy is max.

Morey had the thing about finding these guys not signing them. This is one you sign.

i watch our team now..and despite all the depth feels like if we were to lose capela that we wouldnt be able to win it all.

Hes only going to get better

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Noel was a possible rental when Dallas traded for him because he was headed into free agency as a RFA.
    There was many talk that it would require a 1st to pry him away from Philly. Same with Okafor at the time.
    You can google that for articles stating such.

Capela is a system guy. You don’t understand what that means. Put him in a conventional system
    with poorer players around him and his production decreases. Put him on another team and you will see
    his numbers decrease. The team would need to have 3-point shooters on the perimeter for Capela to
    be successful. Why because teams will just pack the paint. Leaving him no room to operate.
    People here can’t see that Harden and CP3 demand so much attention that it gives Capela so much space to maneuver? Plus the abundance of 3-point shooters giving Capela more space? Warriors would be a good fit as well? But they wouldn’t give Capela $20 plus million either. Because they go cheap on centers.

You can see many threads on this site with people stating the Rockets will never win with Capela just this year.
    I told people wrong. Capela will flourish in the Rockets system of screen, PnR, dunk. His defense
    was what the Rockets needed on the perimeter. And his rim protection would improve enough.
    You have to admit Capela has evolved drastically since game one of this season. I’m here to tell
    you that Noel would improve drastically as well. Dedmon would rip it up in our system with our players.
    Add a LeBron James or an Aaron Gordon as well. If you still say Dedmon or Noel wouldn’t work.....
    you just don’t have the vision or lack the basketball I.Q.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Clint will be a Rocket for a long time. He will get paid, but there really isn’t a large market for him. If you look at his prior background he isn’t the type of guy that will want to leave somewhere where he feels at home.

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Capela is reaping benefits of system yet system or not he is starting to show incredible value and star potential. I want to test your theory and have him rest ready for playoffs and bring in this brandon wright guy. Apparently he is that high flyer and Id be curious to see how that goes. You might argue he is plug and play.

I get your notion of not overpaying and system but this understates what capela is. I think you are missing out on the emergence of a bona fide star with height and post moves. He may not be in the anthony davis category but he is creeping near. Due to his ability to score and post i would take him right now over say a mutumbo at this age.
    You are missing that point of fine line good and REALLY good. I dont think you can interchange ..tarik black and nene proves that. Capela is creeping on REALLY good. . But put in this wright guy and lets see. I think you are way undervaluing capela incorrectly.

You lay a good rationale but I disagree mainly based on idea that capela is damn good. Hes not a javale mcgee or deandre jordan. He is a legit scoring inside and rim protection to push out to our big strong mbha moutays arizas and tuckers to push around perimeter.
    Maybe how draymond green might mean more to gs than to says hornets or heat.... I guess i agree with you that there is a somewhat quantifiable aspect of system and what a draymond green or a capela means to a system. You sometimes need to pay for that AND more importantly - its worth it. With hardens age we could set a nice few years of continuity

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

The owner doesn't have to let the players know anything. The players already know this. You must view the players as idiots.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Morey would trade any role player if he can nab a national team or superstar player before it's time to pay. That's smart. But Capela is an exception imo.

People don't seem to be able to conceptualize Capela's potential. In the 2022 season, Capela will be Harden's current age in 2018. Again. IN THE 2022 SEASON, Capela will be 28, as in roughly the age where most players play their best basketball. To say that a player who has improved almost every year to date will not improve significantly between the ages of 23 and 28 is absurd.

There's a reason why Dedmon and Noel are cheap and available. The only thing Capela has to do to be worth up to $20m is play exactly the way he's playing for 3-4 minutes longer. The likelihood that Noel/Dedmon can replicate that kind of production for just ONE season (nevermind 5 seasons) is low. Just the time it would take to recreate the chemistry, precision, constant improvement. Forget about it.

We need Capela and Capela wants to be here. Unless a top 15 player becomes available, I don't think Capela is going anywhere.

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Thank you for your tactful posting. Well thought out and respectful.

I believe you are falling exactly for the system numbers and are fooled by them. Not not that shines is gold.
    I am one of Capelas biggest fans. I admire the work he has put into the game. He fits Houston perfectly.

Now the “But”
    You mentioned post moves; which goes with Post Up game.
    Would you say Nene is a good Post Up Guy.......or Ryan Anderson is a good Post Up Guy?
    The numbers say yes.

http://stats.nba.com/players/playtype-post-up/

Playtype-Post Ups
    Player.............................frequency.........................ppp........................NBA percentile......

Ryan Anderson.................3.2%...............................1.13.................................95.2...............
    Nene.................................6.0%...............................1.13.................................96.4................

Capela..............................3.7%................................0.67................................11.9..............

Now look at Dedmon on a terrible team with little to no 3-point spacers.
    Dedmon............................1.4%................................1.40................................———.............

Brandan Wright................8.3%.................................0.80.................................33.5...........

One can not just look at the end result that player A made x amount of pts and x amount of rebs. Ask how?
    Brandan Wright might be a better post up guy than Capela......so therefore Brandan Wright is worthy of
    $20 plus million, right?

According to your post, I’m not sure you know much about Wright. You referred to Wright as, “this Wright guy”
    So im going to cut you some slack. Morey could have gone with Bogut; but today’s NBA require Centers
    to get out on the perimeter and defend more often than sit under the rim. I would prefer Capela over DeAndre
    Jordan. Jordan looked bad vs the Warriors recently. Warriors kept attacking Jordan defensively by getting
    him out on the perimeter vs a smaller player.

I have to leave right now. But I could post some numbers of Capela-Wright-Dedmon-Noel and others later
    if people wish to discuss system fits. Fact of the matter is that teams see 6’11 to 7 ft plus guys coming
    up the ranks from high school and college. Teams that are rebuilding will invest in these guys. Other
    teams don’t have the money to throw at Capela since they want to go after Cousins or A Davis.
    Then you throw in other options available in free agency like a cheaper Noel or Dedmon.

Capela gives the Rockets the ability to sign a max and go over the luxury tax mark because of his “Bird rights”
    But there will be a limit Morey will not cross. Just like in the case for Parsons. Morey said the same thing.
    “We are willing to pay anyth8ngvto keep Parsons in a Rockets uniform.”

per 82games.com
    ..........................................Capela...................Wright
    Passer Rtg...........................1.5.........................1.9
    Player Rtg...........................41.3.......................25.8
    Block Rtg............................10.4.......................10.5
    “Hands Rtg”..........................7.2.......................12.3
    48-min PER (Center)...........29.5.......................25.6
    48min PER (PF)..................——........................16.2

So buyer beware. Not all numbers are created equal.
    Capela does many things.....and some things not so much. David West for instance.
    West Post Ups at a frequency of 20.5%........0.89 ppp.........59 NBA percentile.
    Is that worthy of $20 plus million? Compare that to Capela 3.7%......0.67 ppp....11.9 NBA percentile.
    Yes Capela is great......but all centers do not do all the same things. And all centers do not play for
    the Houston Rockets......next to CP3/Harden/Ariza/Luc/EGordon/Tucker/Nene...(Ryan Anderson) spacing
    the floor.

Interchange Dedmon and Capela teammates.
    Capela......Bazemore/Bembry/Ilyasova/Plumlee/Prince/Schroder/Isaiah Taylor/Muscala/Delaney/Collins

Good luck with that. Capela can put up some numbers maybe.....but I’m sure his efficiency would be garbage trying. Give a Dedmon a break. He is on a bad team.

IBTL and cdxiong like this.
  11. H-Town Rockets Guy

If we can get Capela for 12 million, its a big bargain. He fits our system well and he continue to improve his game every year. He play that pick and roll game every damn trip on the offensive end. Sometimes, multiple times on the same possession. He gets great looks because of Harden and CP3 but his willingness to screen and roll is what makes him a great fit for our team. I don't think he will be available for 12 million per year. Maybe 4 years 60 to 65 million is more realistic.

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you for thanking me. Thank you back. i love you man.

Anyway people on internet might argue you are spitting facts when Im admittedly looking at the eyeball test of how much better we are with capela in there. I am happy enough knowing what i am seeing and have seen to say the guy has good inside moves.. and super high upside. Post generating offense he has something. That is need as a cross check to defenses against our lethal guard oriented 3 point game.

He isnt as scrawny anymore and he is plus 7 foot. You dont let that go. We cant be too cute (although it is morey) and we arent the patriots. Capela is essential.

We could put scott pollard in there and he might flourish too but you risk the unknown everytime you do that. In that sense capela is a known commodity vs some of the guys you mention.

As others are stating.. due to age you pay if and when time comes.

Paying him to keep him is buying stock in him. He still has huge upside. Think about that too.

The parsons analogy fits here except we should pay and if have to do what we have to. The real story then is whether he can be healthy enough to earn it as parsons did not.

With capela i think you do more than you did at time to keep parsons and you hope and pray from a health standpoint it works out. Because if it does, i only see upside with capela. In that same respect more so than I saw in parsons at time we lost him.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  13. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

haha, Joel's market was really high because articles said so last year? Just ignore what he was actually traded for just after those articles were written amiright.

The dude doesn't carry much value. He's not good in the locker room, hasn't improved at all since he was a rookie and is said to not have a great work ethic towards improving.

As far as Capela benefiting from the team he is on, oh my, what a revelation. Did you come up with that all by yourself? This all started about him being a RFA and whether teams would give a big contract to pry him away. The answer is yes. That was the point of giving his stats.

You used Noel as an example of teams not going after a RFA. I've pointed out, with actual relevant facts, Noel last year and Capela this year aren't comparable.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

29-1 with Capela starting with CP3 and Harden - you don't **** that up.

DD

IBTL, BigMaloe and Plowman like this.
  15. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Capela is a bad dude. I remember when Bill Simmons and everyone else laughed at our pick.

Morey & Capela proving the doubters and haters wrong since

buffalobills!!! and kevtse like this.
  16. kevtse

kevtse Member

Had Morey not picked him, I wonder if any other would use their pick on him. What was his draft projection?

17. ballscientist1

Jerry West wants two things: Valuable young players and cap flexibility.

I agree that Rockets need to save every penny and have big cap space. It would be great if you can sign both LeBron and Aaron Gordon, but it is not easy.

18. ballscientist1

This is what I mean:

1. match Capela offer sheet first,

2. tell 6 other free agents: Tilman has 40 million budget for them (total team salary/tax budget $200 million)

3. Then hold a free agent meeting (players meeting only)

If Paul wants 36 million starting, then everyone else walks for nothing.

Hope Paul starting salary at $25 million, then sign Ariza at 6 million and LMM at 5MM, other 3 free agents minimum salary.

Keep entire team together next season! Murray! !

#118 ballscientist1, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  19. ballscientist1

Capela's agent wants commission and reputation. Is there a way to stop this guy to talk to the following 6 teams?
    6 teams with major cap space this summer seem like they will use upgrades at center: Lakers, Bulls, Dallas (assuming Noel is out), Phoenix (not sure if they plan on playing Chriss and Booker as the 4/5 going forward), and Brooklyn (probably depends a lot on how they feel about Jarett Allen) and Clippers (if Jordan is out and dump small expiring contracts)

20. buffalobills!!!

Green has outplayed his contract