1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Climate Change] Winter Watch 2017-2018

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Dec 7, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I went to the local Exxon station. I was able to fill up my tank. So did the guy behind me. Guess there isn't a need for more drilling...

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Despite the early December snow and cold spell after Christmas, 2017 was the hottest and wettest year on record in Houston. 3 of the top 5 hottest years in Houston have occurred since 2011.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

Thanks to you and the guy behind you in your efforts, keep up the good work.

6. Bagwellian

Bagwellian Member

Do you believe in global warming?

7. Cohete Rojo

Yes.

8. Bagwellian

Bagwellian Member

Why did you start the thread?

9. Cohete Rojo

To document any deviated, unusual, or otherwise unforeseen weather events not represented by mainstream media, the IPCC, and other such authorities on the topic of climate change; to discuss such phenomena and discuss any skepticism of the "consensus" on climate change.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So as long as you somehow value 3 weeks worth of data with 30 years worth, I see your point.

But that would mean I would have to be as bad with math as you are.

#30 fchowd0311, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    R0ckets03 likes this.
  11. Bagwellian

Bagwellian Member

So, global warning (climate change) is backed by extensive scientific evidence. I'm not sure why anyone would be skeptical about a consensus on climate change. It seems that nearly all scientists agree on climate change, backed by documented evidence, so why would anyone be skeptical of this?

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Because Fox News told em so

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no legitimate skepticism about climate change, it's been almost unanimously accepted by the scientific community and backed up by extensive evidence.

Additional snowfall, blizzards, and snowing in unusual places actually support rather than detracts from the idea of climate change. Hotter air can hold more moisture which would create more snowfall.

14. Cohete Rojo

The IPCC does a shoulder shrug on the cause-and-effect relationship between the Walker circulation and global warming. There are plenty of things to be skeptical about.

The IPCC even publishes its assessments by confidence level because there is not overwhelming certainty on every aspect of global warming and climate change. Some of their past publications had probability distribution charts that showed the (ever so) slight possibility of ZERO net warming due to anthropogenic greenhouse gases.

15. Cohete Rojo

This cheap rhetoric has been parroted before, except it was about the “Koch Brothers”.

Please, in detail, elaborate on the “Fox News told em” rhetoric. I’m curious, which part of the above explanation has to do with “Fox News”?

16. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201613

In other words, all 12 of the hottest years since 1880 have happened since 1998 including record heat for 2014, 2015, and 2016. I wonder where 2017 will rank once the final numbers come in...

That's the difference between climate and weather. Weather happens in a particular geographic region, climate is what happens across the entire globe.

17. Bagwellian

Bagwellian Member

There is a difference between "overwhelming certainty on every aspect of global warming" and denying that it exists. This is typically what a number of conservatives, including Trump, say. They actually deny climate change. I don't think anyone here denies that there are some areas up for debate. But you seem to be implying that it is much less of a "thing" than it really is.

18. Cohete Rojo

That's good for Trump and a number of conservatives.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All statistically based science publishes confidence levels. That's how forecasting works.

As for this cold snap - try actually listening to scientists and not your right wing blog:

https://www.indystar.com/story/news...ks-cold-weather-and-global-warming/995553001/

peleincubus likes this.
  20. Bagwellian

Bagwellian Member

I'm new on here, but you seem to be acting purposefully cryptic or something. Is this how you always communicate? You start a thread on climate change by making several posts that seem to contradict it, then dance around it by saying you believe in global warning.... but....

If that's your style, OK. But it's just a bit strange.