1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Climate Change] Winter Watch 2015-2016

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Equilibrium.

It's not about percentages at the end of the day, it's about volumes and buffers. Life on this planet exists because of the random luck of some many things going right. Our modern civilization came into existence with certain environmental factors - including temperature, sea-levels, co2 levels, etc.

Human activity has been producing co2 out of balance for over a 100 years, fortunately there are natural buffers (like the ocean's ability to absorb co2) to dampen the effects.

But at a certain point, you exceed those buffers, and small changes in Co2 result in significant changes. Co2 levels are higher than they have been in 15-20 millions years, and it's rising.

As a result temps are going up. The proof is iron clad and any legitimate scientist knows it is caused by co2. Even the scientist hired by the Kock brothers now admits that co2 from human activities is causing global warming.

This debate should not be going on. It's past science and into the realm of the earth is round and not flat. It is denial of reality to choose to be ignorant at this point.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Season's greetings.

[rQUOTEr]Below-normal Atlantic hurricane season ends; active eastern and central Pacific seasons shatter records

The Atlantic, eastern and central Pacific hurricane seasons officially ended yesterday, and as predicted, the Atlantic season stayed below normal with 11 named storms, while the eastern and central Pacific were above normal with both regions shattering all-time records.

Overall, the Atlantic hurricane season produced 11 named storms, including four hurricanes (Danny, Fred, Joaquin and Kate), two of which, Danny and Joaquin, became major hurricanes. Although no hurricanes made landfall in the United States this year, two tropical storms – Ana and Bill – struck the northeastern coast of South Carolina and Texas, respectively. Ana caused minor wind damage, beach erosion and one direct death in North Carolina, and Bill produced heavy rain and flooding while it moved across eastern Texas and Oklahoma. Hurricane Joaquin is the first Category 4 hurricane since 1866 to impact the Bahamas during the month of October.

NOAA scientists credit El Niño as the leading climate factor influencing both the Atlantic and Pacific seasons this year.

“El Niño produces a see-saw effect, suppressing the Atlantic season while strengthening the eastern and central Pacific hurricane seasons,” said Gerry Bell, Ph.D., lead seasonal hurricane forecaster at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center. “El Niño intensified into a strong event during the summer and significantly impacted all three hurricanes seasons during their peak months.”

Bell said El Niño suppressed the Atlantic season by producing strong vertical wind shear combined with increased atmospheric stability, stronger sinking motion and drier air across the tropical Atlantic, all of which make it difficult for tropical storms and hurricanes to form and strengthen. However, El Niño fueled the eastern and central Pacific seasons this year with the weakest vertical wind shear on record.

[/rQUOTEr]

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hey, get with the program. Ted Cruz and his followers here have quit using the term "scientist" and now calls my types "climate activists."

So I don't call him a republican senator anymore. I call him a "stupidity fund manager."

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I like it! :grin:

5. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

As an aside, it's pretty funny that you just explained logarithmic by coming up with an example that's actually exponential. Might wanna look up what logarithmic actually is and maybe ease up on the insults champ.

6. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

The effect of CO2 on temperature is logarithmic... Champ. Please sit down and let the adults talk.

7. Cohete Rojo

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

How will El Nino likely affect Houston if at all?

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's 70 degrees in Boston and its Dec 24th. That has to be some sort of record.

11. Cohete Rojo

How difficult is it to take five seconds to look this up on the internet?

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Really? My statement was in jest. Yes, I already knew it was a record. Jesus, what is up with being so confrontational?

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Warmest Christmas ever -- proof that Global Warming is making December a second November which is awesome.

14. Cohete Rojo

Wow, nice job posting a graph with no source or added context.

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

It contains both a source and context. There's even more context by being posted in this particular thread. Still, if you insist:

Temperatures are rising. Relentlessly so.

16. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Don't mind the op, he's just salty the weather isn't following his thinly veiled narrative.

[​IMG]

Don't worry op, it'll finally cool down next week.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's being predicted as bringing CO an awesome ski season...and fulfilling that prediction right now with awesome XMas break champagne powder.

ducks out of thread before ppl use this as proof against climate change.

18. malakas

malakas Member

I don't know what's wrong but here the weather is crazy. My pear tree bloomed because it thought it was spring. The almond tree bloomed two months ago.
    It hasn't rained for two months at all and it's always sunny. The temperature is 68 in Fahrenheit. It's the warmest winter I remember in all my life.

19. Cohete Rojo

Where did this graph come from and who produced it? None of that information is available in your post. That is JCDenton level.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes it has been in my opinion a great winter in MN. This December has been more Houston like, we even had a thunder storm last week, than Minneapolis like. A lot of my MN friends though are pretty disappointed that they can't do stuff like ice fishing or play hockey outside. For me I will gladly trade not shoveling snow at the cost of missing the opportunity to sit on top of a big sheet of ice freezing my @ss off waiting for fish to bite.

On subject though while this has been a remarkably warm winter for much of the US as I've said before weather isn't climate and taken alone this isn't proof of global warming any more than those last year who were saying a big snowstorm in NY is proof against it. What matters is the trend and this winter is another data point in the overall trend. I we look at trends we can even out that while this year's winter in much of the mid and eastern US is remarkably warm last year it was the much of the western US and most of the world that was very warm last winter so overall the last two winters have been warm globally. That says much more regarding the state of climate than whether flowers are blooming or there is 10 ft of snow in NY in December.