1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Climate Change] Lake Erie up to 60% Covered in Ice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Jan 13, 2015.

1. cml750

cml750 Member

I assume you only ride a bicycle and avoid all fossil fuels? Are you doing everything you yourself can do to save our planet? If so good job and keep up the good work.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why would you assume that?

I never said we shouldn't drive cars - don't be an idiot.

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

That statement has nothing to do with acknowledging CO2 as the cause of climate change. In fact, it says nothing about reducing or eliminating carbon emissions. It does make a statement about sustainable and efficient energy - I can't argue with that.

CO2 is not toxic - it is plant food. Adding CO2 to the atmosphere is not dangerous.

I have reasonable doubts about the IPCC's climate models. Here is a list of some uncertainties in their data and one of the most glaring:

This was from 2007, so the IPCC has a whopping 33 years of solar irradiance data. And here was NASA's take from 2003:

There are other uncertainties such as aerosol effects on albedo (clouds):

Considering that many climate models showing CO2 as the main driver of global warming take into account the uncertainties with solar radiation and albedo, I'd say there is a very strong and very reasonable doubt against such claims.

I've quoted NASA, IPCC and MIT. Who have you quoted?

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

A - the issue with CO2 is not toxicity to our bodies, it's the effect is has on atmospheric conditions. Just as too much oxygen would be a problem, so is too much anything in our atmosphere. Our way of life depends on an equilibrium. Do you get that?

None of these things actual dispute global warming and that it is man made. It only disputes the IPCC forecast models. The fact still remains the warming trend we are experiencing is due to man-made related co2 emissions.

[​IMG]

This shows how other variables are not driving climate change. And here is a summary (click on the link for sources) for the science on why solar radiation and other variables can not be the cause of global warming:

http://scienceblogs.com/illconsidered/2008/10/what-is-the-evidence-that-co2/

http://www.earthinstitute.columbia.edu/news/2005/story04-28-05.html

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You are arguing that the MAB recommendation for the US to be the leader and driver toward "sustainable and more efficient energy to SLOW climate change", is not about carbon emission reduction? You actually would need them to literally spell that out for you? That is strange to me. My initial thinking is you are intentionally being dishonest. But I have to wonder if you simply are so deep in denial that you are lying to yourself and don't even know it. There is another possibility, but I think you are too intelligent to be that.

Another few quotes from the report for you to ponder on. I hope you are not going to say CO2 is not a greenhouse or "heat-trapping" gas, but at this point, I wouldn't be surprise if you do.

6. cml750

cml750 Member

Shame on you for not doing everything in your power to reduce your carbon footprint.

7. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

So you are telling me you haven't reviewed it enough to give me a number for climate sensitivity or still don't get the concept. To me that sounds like "it got a lot hotter and is going to get a lot hotter, but I can't tell you how much."

No, I don't think the sky is falling and no I don't think it's a serious risk because this is not the hottest it's ever been and this isn't the most CO2 there has ever been in the atmosphere. If anything, CO2 might help stave off the ice age that's due back someday.

The only tendency that our planet has shown is to go into glacial periods. It has never gone into runaway global warming in the past. What makes you think that all climate feedbacks are positive and increase warming? You don't have any geological evidence to speak to that.

I'll come clean...I'm an IT guy and we fix problems. We do that by analyzing the scope of the problem, looking at root causes, and implementing solutions that are the most efficient use of resources to fix the problem.

In this case, that suggests to me that we should do what what benefits the largest number of people and hurts the fewest.

Our current policies do not reflect this mindset: Exporting pollution to China via pseudo-green policies, killing raptors and other birds, burning wood chips shipped from here in England instead of coal, increasing energy costs on pensioners to pay wealthy landowners for their wind farms, and denying third world countries cheap energy that could lift millions out of poverty.

Looking at what we've done in the name of saving the planet so far does not make me have much hope for better green policies in the future.

To sum up, show me some policies that make sense and aren't just a tax increase and I'll consider them...but don't tell me that some pensioner's energy bill has to double to "save the planet".

8. Cohete Rojo

Potentially cripling blizzard to hit the US northeast. Let me guess, another sign of run-away anthropogenic global warming?

9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Just a brief primer to help people understand the warmists better:

Summer = Man-made climate change
    Winter = Just weather

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

if the last two comments are any indication. you people are completely wasting your time doing research and providing them with information. you have several comments in a row showing data, historical information about the subject.

and you get there is a snowstorm in a certain part of the world, and whatever point mojoman was trying to make.

i think it would be interesting to write a thesis on people and them falling in line with their political parties and social issues.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Climate change means shifting extremes in weather. If you look no further than Venus you will see the eventual result of putting too much Caron dioxide in the atmosphere. This thread is the dumbest I have seen in awhile. Go live on Venus and see how it works out.

/thread

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You realize this supports the complete opposite of what you think it does right?

13. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Germans?

Forget it, he's rolling.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Extreme weather is predicted with global warming. Runaway climate is a virtual impossible on earth unless you live to 1 Billion or so.

15. Cohete Rojo

What's your source? I'll quote the IPCC's 4th AR:

It's been a whole two years since this happened:

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/849268fo-3I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Germans? :confused:
    Rolling? :confused:

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

#136 Dubious, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

If I put your balls in a vice, you might not be able to tell me how much each turn of the screw will hurt, but you better believe it will hurt a lot.

I don't think you understand the impact on our lives a few degrees increase in temperature will have.

I've show the the evidence of forcing factors which clearly show that manmade Co2 is the current instigator for the warming trend we are experiencing. I don't know what else you want.

I seriously doubt that IT guys are more versed in the scientific method than scientists. Maybe that's going out on a limb but wow, you know how genius those IT guys are.

That's why people are raising the alarm.

Except none of these things are actually happening. These aren't our current policies. And I don't advocate these kinds of policies. Personally I don't believe solar nor wind is the answer.

Agreed

This isn't a policy debate. I am not arguing about what should be done here, I am simply saying that global warming is real and the earth is warming, let's stop denying the basic science. It's crazy that the right wing which is so afraid of the potential policies the left wants that they attack the science instead of the policies. So crazy.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Why would you say that? I never claimed to be an environmentalist.

I think you are confusing policy with science. That's the problem with the right - so afraid of policy they will instead go off the range and deny the science they see associated with those policies.

I don't think Kyoto is useful. I don't think caps make sense either. I don't think higher fuel efficiency standards matter either. I don't think carbon footprint and all that stuff will matter.

It's too late. Policies can not stop Global Warming at this point.

Policies need to be put into effect to help deal with rising oceans and the impact of global warming on the food supply.

19. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Weather =/= Climate

20. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Please, find so much as a single comment which claims that the weather on a particular day means that climate change is happening. The people claiming that climate change is happening point to trend lines over decades, not the weather at a specific location on a particular day.