1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Climate Change] Lake Erie up to 60% Covered in Ice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Anticope

Anticope Member

Hmmm....

http://science.time.com/2013/06/06/sorry-a-time-magazine-cover-did-not-predict-a-coming-ice-age/

Nice try though.

2. val_modus

val_modus Member

I have enjoyed this discussion thus far and tend to stay out of the D&D for the immaturity often displayed here, but I will definitely look into the Time article you posted.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Good call. I fell for it. Oops. My bad

good luck with that. haha. my bad

The Global Cooling Article is from TIme magazine 1974 (not 1977)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling#1974_Time_Magazine_article

Stilll I had the cover wrong. I am ashamed.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

hey why don't you blast those liberal boogeymen again so you can... you know... demonstrate to us how mature you are?

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Are you trying to disprove global warming or solstice and equinox? No one ever said the earth's axis would stop tilting.

7. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Internet chain letters are perfectly legit sources. My uncle repeatedly tells me so.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

this exact debate conducted here in about 20 years will be a bit humorous.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

One way or the other, yeah probably.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Tallnover... It's this simple. Read the scientific peer reviewed studies that are public that support man made climate change. Line by line refute the empirical evidence and the extrapolations that the studies include line by line and come back and post your refutation on why man made climate change is a hoax/liberal agenda.

If you do that then your perception as an earlier poster pointed out as a type of individual "who reads only the cover of a book and thinks that they know exactly what the book is about." would be deemed false. At least in your posts in the D&D, you exactly sound like someone who is a layman of everything but pretends to be knowledgable in everything. You have not once yet put forth any hard empirical evidence on why man made climate change is a hoax. You just keep on espousing partisan bull****.

11. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

"Climate Change" is a cover used primarily by the American left, Europe and South America to achieve the following objectives:

1. Reduce Russia's power over Europe by means of their fossil fuel exports to Europe.
    2. Stunt the growth of China and India (who rely very heavily on coal)
    3. Raise taxes in the US to expand government control over society and reduce skyrocketing national debt
    4. Damage Middle Eastern economies, many of which are hostile to US interests

The empirical evidence that global warming is occurring simply does not exist. The IPCC climate models have been wrong time and again -- not only at forecasting but also at hindcasting temperatures. There is no evidence, which is why the left does not want to debate this issue. The warming argument consists of anecdotes and hyperbole, neither of which are good reasons to impose sweeping costs on consumers. Then attempts are made to conflate the pollution argument with the warming argument -- because everyone is against pollution, right? It's just another deception. Anytime politics takes control of science, you know you have an integrity problem.

12. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

The irony...it burns!

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

what data measurements would disprove climate change theory?

14. Faust

Faust Member

When you say insults you have lost all arguments between adults. i dont know how frustrated the lefties must feel to see their fellow citizens vote anti global warming politicians into power. almost no republican or libertarian believes in global warming or that humans are effecting the climate with greenhouse gases and this will harm us. In my town they would laugh at you for saying it. ive been hearing about the dangers of it since the 90s and nothing has changed. even if you moved to communist places like germany you cant run away from america and china polluting. So why run?

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Repeated many times, but the #1 conservative branding expert, who advised Dubbya and the conservative congressional leadership is the guy who masterminded this name change. He did so because his research showed that people felt less threatened by the words "climate change" than "global warming".

So if you really actually care about people using words to manipulate you, you need to look at the people standing behind you. If you really doubt me, let me know and I'll find the interviews where he talks about it.

But I'm thinking that when you find it Is conservatives who are manipulating you rather than liberals, your outrage will melt away. Either that or you'll continue to ignore reality and keep lobbing smarmy comments at liberals over something your friends are responsible for.

#55 Ottomaton, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  16. Anticope

Anticope Member

So to sum up your viewpoints in this thread:

- You trust oil and gas corporations.

- You believe that corporations give us jobs so that "we have money to buy things and be happy in life."

- If the world ends because of global warming it will be the liberals' fault because they didn't do a good enough job getting their message through the thick skulls of voters on the right. Therefore, we should all go down happily together because of Democracy.

- Nothing has changed climate-wise since the 90s.

And you're seriously wondering why I insulted your intelligence?

2 people like this.
  17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

what evidence would disprove man made climate change theory?

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes, climate has always change over the earth lifetime to date and as part of the natural cycle (or major event). We have good historic data on climate change. This data is a useful part of our understanding of what causes the climate to change and is part of current theory of climate change. The climate changes (of significant impact) takes thousands to millions of years. Human activities, of course, contribute to the nature of climate, but has always been assumed to be insignificant. What is different is that now we have good data that human contribution is not only significant, it's to a level that is causing the climate (global warming) to change at an accelerate scale. Instead of thousand to million years, that has now been compressed to hundreds of years or even decades.

In the past, with climate change that take thousand to millions of year, life of earth adapt. Some don't and perish. Other do adapt successfully. Today, with global warming that causes significant changes to the climate within a much shorter time frame, life on earth will also need to adapt, but it doesn't have the same time span. Some will adapt, some will not. The key is that we, human, is contributing to this and we have some control of slowing it down or reducing the significant of the impact. It is in the best interest of our next generation that this current generation be truthful and honest to ourselves, learn what is global warming, and take actions. If not, luck be with us that the Science change, that we come up with a great engineering way to solve the problem (part of the oil industry stand btw) or that some unknown event help along the way.

1 person likes this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

evidences that man doesn't contribute to climate in a significant way

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Salient point.