1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Climate Change] Lake Erie up to 60% Covered in Ice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I never saw Inconvenient Truth, so I'm no climate change expert. But, what part of Al Gore's sophisticated spreadsheet predicted increasing Great Lake ice cover?

Consider that they are freezing earlier as well:

To bear in mind, the Great Lakes are glacial lakes, formed after the melting of the Laurentide ice sheet (an amalgamation of various large glaciers).

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Climate Change? What happened to global warming? Now any change in temperature means we need to hand over trillions to the government? Very compelling stuff liberals.

3. Major

Major Member

Perhaps the part that predicts more extreme weather in both directions? It always fascinates me when anti-climate-change people complain when climate-change people try to link a particular event (hurricane, heat wave, etc) to climate change, but then do the same with their own individual events. Gotcha moments don't work in the world of climate change, on either side.

4. Major

Major Member

There's a huge difference between the theory changing and you simply not understanding the theory.

1 person likes this.
  5. tallanvor

when the theory changes 3-4 times the authors/backers of these theories lose credibility. Not hard to understand.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

why are you b****ing about liberals? why dont you go complain to the people that phd's in the different fields that do studies that revolve around this.

who cares about al gore? do you see me complaining about him having around a million more votes then bush in the election and not winning?? ;)

7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Even if the theory did change 3-4 times (it was never "everything's going to get warmer everywhere forever), it would only indicate that science has analyzed more data and gained more understanding, and thus must adjust its findings.

8. tallanvor

Because liberals are the ones trying to force me to hand over my hard earned money for their beliefs that constantly change. Just 3 years ago I was suppose to hand over my money to stop the Earth from turning into a fireball. Now I am suppose to hand over my money to stop the great lakes from freezing or something. It hurts the poor alot more than me.

Scientists don't seem to agree on the subject, but either way scientists aren't trying to take my money. They are just reporting their results/opinions. Its just you liberal assholes.

9. Major

Major Member

When people think that changing the name changes the theory, they lose their credibility about their basic understanding of science. Also not hard to understand.

The basic theory has not changed. I'm not sure why the name was changed, but it was probably because of things like the OP not understanding that "global warming" does not just mean everything is getting universally warmer.

10. Major

Major Member

That's for confirming my earlier statement about you not understanding the theory.

11. tallanvor

The reason for the name change is that earth is the same temperature it was 19 years ago. Yes the theory has changed, the goal hasn't. control the people.

[​IMG]

I think you don't understand the global warming theory

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

because only liberals study climate change duh :grin:

13. Faust

Faust Member

global warming is just stuff made up by lefties to have more control for the nanny state. they take my money and spend it on the welfare people. i trust the oil and gas corporations more than Obama and his scientists who just want more and more money. the companies give us jobs so we have money to buy things and be happy in life. the govt just takes it away and gives nothing back.

Lets say lefties are right. The world is ending because of humans. Well you lefties live in a democracy. if your neighbors voted republican and the world ends because we didn't do what scientists wanted then that's just how it's gonna end. if the human race votes to end itself by not listening to science then wwhats the point of arguing when the end comes? if the danger is so great libs should've done a.better job at getting the message across. welcome to democracy. the people spoke and everyone goes down together.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I know that some of you don't believe in Science or academic and no amount of Science would change your mind about AGW. Don't know why you have such position, but it's your belief.

You might, however, want to look outside of Science concerning AGW, such as our own military and businesses around the worlds. Our own military has and is stating that GW is one of the biggest risk factor to nations destabilizing and future warfare. The trend for Businesses continue to be "let's prepare for what's coming" with GW. When it comes to our security and their pocket, their actions speak for itself.

15. Faust

Faust Member

that makes no sense. if the military and businesses believe in this stuff and they have so much lobbying power why are so many politicians against it?

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This OP just show how much they don't understand this topic at all.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Look at their pocket. First, the military can't give politician money. Second, the oil and gas industry is the one that have the most to lose. They have plenty of reasons for being against alternative energy or any thing that reduces their profit. The other businesses, they don't have that big of a direct impact, but an incremental one that they need to be prepare for. They wouldn't necessary pump so much money into politician when the return on that "investment" isn't as direct or great.

Whether or not it make sense to you, look at their actions.

18. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Is is difficult to see who is just being sarcastic or who just is this stupid in this thread.

There are to many trolls

1 person likes this.
  19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The IPCC says there is to be a reduction in cold weather events. What is this increase you are referring to? Source?

Besides sample size would be way too small to start attributing weather events to possible increase in warming due to humans.

20. Anticope

Anticope Member

You are either an entertaining troll or one of the dumbest people on the face of the earth, I can't tell. Either way, thanks for the laugh.