1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clemens' wife wants him to play one more year

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by BSW, Aug 25, 2004.

1. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/225574p-193763c.html

Rocket gets boost from wife

Roger Clemens may postpone his retirement for another season.

HOUSTON - This is Roger Clemens' last year in the majors, right?
    Maybe not.

Clemens' wife, Debbie, said that when the family discusses the Rocket's plan this winter, she will try to persuade him to return to the Astros for one more season.

"It's funny, because for five years I really wanted him to retire," Debbie said Monday. "But the way this season has played out ... with Andy (Pettitte) getting hurt and the team not doing as well as everyone expected, I don't know that he accomplished everything he wanted. So I'm going to push for Roger to play one more year."

When told of Debbie's thoughts, however, The Rocket laughed and pointed to his right calf, which he injured a week ago and tweaked again while pitching on Monday.

"She must not have seen me hobbling around out there," Clemens said. "It's a lot of work to get in shape and keep grinding like this. I'm not even thinking about anything regarding next year right now. I couldn't think about that until this season is over."

Yankees fans pining for the Rocket to return to New York probably shouldn't get their hopes up, either. The allure of playing at home and being able to see his kids - Clemens lives in a Houston suburb and has a clause in his contract that allows him to skip road trips when he's not pitching - has been the best part of this year, Debbie said.

Unfortunately, the Astros' play hasn't been anywhere near expectations. With Roy Oswalt, Pettitte, Clemens (13-4, 2.92 ERA) and Wade Miller forming a quartet of aces, Houston's rotation should have been unmatched. But Pettitte hurt his elbow on a checked-swing early in the year and, after pitching through it for several months, had season-ending surgery yesterday. Miller was also hurt, and, despite trading for Carlos Beltran, the Astros quickly fell behind the Cardinals in the NL Central.

Once thought to be a lock for the playoffs, Houston has only faint hopes for a wild-card spot.

"Obviously I wish we were doing better," Clemens said, "but that's not really going to play into next year, I don't think. Doing this, playing this year, was about a lot more than just results."

Still, if the Astros are able to keep their core players together this winter, Debbie thinks her husband may want another shot.

"I know him and he's so competitive," she said. "We'll just have to see what happens."

I hope she can get him to come back and take another shot at it.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

New Title: Rocket gets boot from wife.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

I'd like to give her a boost.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

It would be nice to see him come back for one more year. But I think the Astros will have to revamp the roster in order to be a contender again.

Codell: I'm sure you do. ;)

#4 Rockets34Legend, Aug 25, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  5. synergy

synergy Member

BSW, when I read the title of the article I thought you had some inside information. you know what i'm talking about :eek:

6. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

7. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

:eek: too funny

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

It would be awesome to have him back.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He may but I think a lot of it depends on what the team does to improve the defense behind him.

DD