1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clemens Not Offered Salary Arbitration

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Creepy Crawl, Dec 7, 2005.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree TJ...it would hurt no one to offer him arbitration....if Drayton took it on the chin for one year, so what?

He is making the same mistake that McMullen made when Nolan left.

Hopefully Roger will want to come back in May after pitching in March for the USA.

DD

2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The other thing people are forgetting is that we are in this decision-making bind because of Drayton's self-imposed budget. He got a new stadium, he got huge attendance last year, he got a boatload of playoff income... where's it going?

Mark Cuban was interviewed on Jim Rome's show a few days ago. He took a look at buying the Pittsburgh Pirates. As a part of his due diligence, he had access to the Pirates financials. He said that they made anywhere from 10-20 million per season in net income. If the Pirates are making that much, what are the Astros making? Gives you a different perspective on Drayton's willingness to spend, doesn't it?

3. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

the Astros won the NL pennant last year

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yea... but they didn't deserve to because they didn't have a $100 million dollar payroll, they didn't have a superstar at every position, and Drayton McLane was the owner.

IOW, they got lucky... just like the 2002 NE Patriots, the 2003 Flordia Marlins, the 1991 Atlanta Braves, the 1995 Houston Rockets, the 1981 Houston Rockets... (and any other team that wasn't expected to get there, but eventually did).

5. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

I know, that's why I said they play in the useless interleague games. Teams in different leagues play interleague.

6. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i believe if they offered him arbitration, that money offered to roger wouldn't be available to pick up other players. and if roger won't make a decision until january about returning, you might as well have that money now to help your team NOW. we can't have the team go through what it went through last year with beltran. and that's why roger's actions have shocked me, he saw what happened and how it affected what the stros could have done to improve the team. as much is i love roger, we can't have him control our entire offseason. from what i've heard from not only ESPN but from other media sources, is that the astros ARE trying HARD to get more power in that lineup. and that's good. i'm glad we are more focused for the short and long term this offseason.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This is not another "Nolan Ryan" situation...

First of all, we didn't coax Ryan out of retirement, and then do it again the following year by offering him one of the biggest contracts in the game.

Secondly, Roger isn't even sure if he still wants to pitch... had he been sure he was going to pitch next year regardless, I'm pretty sure the Astros would have found a way to either work out a creative/incentive-based deal, or simply offer arbitration. Trust me, Drayton doesn't want to see him go to the Rangers either... I truly think a lot of people are convinced that for now, Roger is retired... and he won't even think about coming back till after he sees how he does in the WBC in March.

I really see only two outcomes happening... 1.) Roger is back playing with us in May, or 2.) Roger retires. Thus, what would be the point in offering him arbitration, and having that $15-20 million possibly tied up in him, without knowing if he was going to pitch at all anyways?

And if I'm wrong, and Roger does sign with another team, so be it... the guy would have had priorities that are probably different than what the Astros need right now... and while unfortunate, we'd have to move on.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Roger needs to show this city some love and play for a minimal amount so we can bring in some more hitting.

9. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

This is what annoys me about the whole situation.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/3510783.html

He said Clemens wasn't offered arbitration because it would tie up money that could be used to improve the team while the Rocket is deciding whether to pitch another season.

And in the next breath, he said the Astros had no plans to spend that money.

What's the club's payroll for next season?

''I have no idea," Purpura said.

Let's review. The Astros made a budgetary decision even though they don't have a budget.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's a very misleading use of words by Justice. By saying "the Astros have no plans to spend that money", he's implying that the Astros have decided that they will do nothing. However, the quote he uses to prove that implication does no such thing. All Purpura said was he had no idea what the payroll would be. That in absolutely no way implies that they will not spend that money.

I have absolutely no problem with the Astros declining arbitration to a guy that's made it clear he will not decide until January. To say that we've sat around and missed out on guys because of this is just plain wrong. According to the national media, we've been in talks to obtain Abreu, not to mention making a strong offer to Burnett. With the Bagwell situation, we were not going to obtain a Delgado or Konerko.

All that being said, if there aren't changes made from this point out-by either bringing in another starter or another bat or both-I'll be the first to criticize. There's still a lot of potential deals out there. Zito, Manny, Abreu, etc. I'm waiting until the offseason is over before b****ing.

#70 Rocketman95, Dec 8, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
  11. Buck Turgidson

Now there's a novel concept.

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

but that's no fun ;)

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well,

They certainly have not been pursuing any of the big name free agents, and since they waited this long, looks like we are out in the cold for this next year.

Well done Tim.

DD

14. NJRocket

my guess is that any major addition will come via trade

What about a guy (FA) who we could get on the cheap for a year, so to speak, like Preston Wilson?

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Jeez. The offseason's only halfway over. Not to mention, we made a nice offer to one of the best free agent pitchers.

There weren't that many big name free agents anyway. The two I would've like to had the most ended up staying where they were, one of them for less money than he was offered from other teams. That's Tim's fault? Please.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Juan Encarnacion as well. Or Burnitz.

But wait, the offseason's over and the Astros are going to suck next year. I'm just surprised no one's brought up Tim's weight. :)

17. NJRocket

If the fat b*stard can grab Juan...I'm all for it! :p

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I've had a feeling we were going to end up with him for a while now. I'd be happy with him or Preston and another starter.

BTW, lunch next week. I had to miss some time earlier this week, so I'm only taking 30 minute lunches the rest of this week.

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If Juan Encarnacion is the bat we add I will be very disappointed. Juan is not very good, he has a lifetime .268 BA, and .316 OBP. I doubt that would inspire Clemens to come back.

20. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I totally agree. I want a real bat and I hope it happens soon. I am sick with anticipation. With the Texans and Rockets sucking so bad it is a terrible time to be a fan.