1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clemens Not Offered Salary Arbitration

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Creepy Crawl, Dec 7, 2005.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Amen brotha

2. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Does anyone think that there is any chance that Clemens would sign with another team or is it Stros or retirement?

3. NJRocket

I honestly dont see it. No other team is going to let him go home to Houston to watch his kids etc during the off days....and I cant imagine him having anything left to prove elsewhere.....not to mention that the only teams that can really afford him are in the northeast...making the offday provision even more difficult.

Not to mention...doesn;t he have a personal service contract with the Astros? Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest?

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I honestly don't think it will happen. Roger has a great gig over here by not having to go to all of the games except when he pitches. Joe Torre has already said that wouldn't happen in NY.

I think it's Houston or retirement for the Rocket.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

This is the right move for the Astros. And, to me, it signals that Clemens will pitch in the World Championship of baseball in the spring and then ride off into the sunset. His mother passing away and the fact that he was too injured to perform during the World Series probably had the most to do with him making up his mind to retire.

6. NJRocket

The other thing to note here is that had we offered arby to Roger, we would be locked in to paying him a minimum of like 15 mil....my guess is that had a LOT to do with it....because even with a potential pay cut, he still eats up a ton of salary

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Of course, the Astros have not officially NOT offfered arbitration to Clemens until midnight tonight.

8. NJRocket

true...but why eat up another day of winter meetings delaying the inevitable...i hope they go about their biz today as if they are not offering it

9. bobrek

What they should do (if it is "legal" according to basbeall guidelines) is have him sign three documents prior to midnight tonight:

1. We make offensive improvements to the team and salary rises:
    Clemens signs contract for 8 million.

2. We tried upgrading offensively, but things didn't work out.
    Clemens signs contract for 16 million.

3. Clemens signs retirement papers.

In January, the Astros submit one of the 3 documents to the league office.

10. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

At his age, I seriously doubt that Rocket could pitch in the World Championships, pitch a whole season, then go deep into the playoffs. I'm all for waiting until May 1st to bring him back... if that's what's going on here.

11. bobrek

If he were to pitch in the World Championships, I assume it would be akin to spring training with the exception of the intensity. I doubt the managers will push the guys too many innings.

12. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I can see both sides of the coin here. The Astros have to move forward and Roger isnt ready to make a decision. I would love to see Roger pitch half the season and be ready for ther post season

13. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

I think one of the bigger issue here is Roger's wanting to know if the Astros are serious about getting a bat or two. I mean, if no arbitration is offered, he can sit back, mend, then wait and see if he has to endure another half dozen or two games where he loses 1-0 in '06. Then, if they make good and sign someone to help out, he can make his play, retire or whatever from a position of information instead of speculation. It can be a win/win for both parties if handled right. Better that than doing like last year and waiting till everyone is signed... while Boras played us like fools....

14. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Regardless, he could still use a month off. It is highly unusual to have a pitcher his age performing at his level. It could be unreasonable to expect him to sustain it throughout a whole season plus the playoffs. Plus, I think he'd like the hype of holding out until May - "Will he or won't he?" - keeps him at the top of Sportscenter.

15. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

nj. doesn't he also own part of our minor league system? I remember something about some players getting involved in it. .

16. NJRocket

i think thats nolan ryan u are thinking of......but iirc, clemens signed like a 10 yr personal services contract or something

17. bobrek

I believe some of the current players have ownership in the Corpus Christi team.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The Hendricks Brothers are pompus hard asses to the max, they are going to take this as a direct challenge to their manhood. It's going to get real ugly.

They will run a full court press on the local sports media to have Purpura portayed as the man who ran off Rocket. A "John McMullen". The Astros will say we love Roger but we have to do what's best for the baseball team and we couldn't afford to be 'held hostage' (buzz word).

Oh the pissing match this is gonna be!

(Or it could just be a ploy by both sides to make sportstalk ALL BASESBALL, ALL THE TIME...Reggie Who?)

:D

#38 Dubious, Dec 7, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  19. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Steve Phillips just said on Sportscenter that Clemens would pitch next year, but for a team other than the Astros. Take it for what it's worth.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah, right.

he also said last year that the astros would be the 2005 version of the 2004 seattle mariners.

maybe he should conduct another press conference.