1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clemens coming close to bashing Beltran

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by BSW, Jan 21, 2005.

1. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

Did anyone else catch where Clemens came close to bashing Carlos Beltran's performance during the regular season?

He did not sound very happy with him for screwing the Astros over and stated Beltran's departure is part of the reason of why he did choose to come back as he felt depressed for the city.

Should be interesting to see what happens when Clemens pitches to him for the first time this upcoming season.

2. fya

fya Member

I heard it, but 18 million is hardly depressive.

3. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

He's trying to make himself look like a savior or something, but the guy has 18 million reasons to come back to play. If he wasn't making a boat load of money, he wouldn't be playing...not because he felt bad for Houston.

That being said, I'm glad he's back. The Astros should at least be interesting and fun to watch this year with a chance at the wild card at least.

4. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I think he is owed at least $18 million for what he did for Drayton McLane last year. To McLane, that money is going to be the best money spent as far as money it brings in.

Glad to hear Clemens bash Beltran a lil bit. I'm hoping he gives him a nice Number 1 Up and IN the first time they play the Mets in NY. In fact, why not nail Piazza right afterwards ... I don't mind if Roger gets ejected in that game :D

5. coma

coma Contributing Member

I <3 the Rocket.

6. fya

fya Member

You are not the only one.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

I heard it too. But if you listen to it in context, you'll see that it wasn't Beltran bashing. Rather, Clemens was pointing out that Beltran's not-so-amazing production in the regular season could be replaced. He's right. Beltran did not hit very well in the regular season. And while Beltran is a great player, his total production as a 3-month rental wasn't exactly mind-boggling to the point where it's irreplacable. If we can get some upgraded production in other areas, and our new CF hits alright, then we can still contend. Especially since for all practical purposes we "gained" a great pitcher this year in Pettite.

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

that would make my year.

9. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

that would make my life.

10. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

roger would have played for nothing but players union would not allow it. look for many charitable contributions from the rocket in the next 10 months

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

exactly. my business partner knows his family fairly well. when he signed his big contract with NY, his wife told my partner that it was all gravy to them at this point. that they reached the financial goals they wanted with their financial planner, and that was it.

12. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Okay so he makes 18 million this year. He is worth it. He will be bringing the fans to the stadium and Drayton needs that.

Look what he did for the team last year and did it for 5 million bucks. Now factor in his 18 million this year so it's about 23 milion over 2 years which is roughly 16.5 million over 2 years.....i am very content on giving him this money becuase of the amount of fans he brought out and will bring out to the games this year.

13. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Actually, 11.5 million. Quite a bargain.

14. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I think you need to get one of your waitresses to do the math for you Stack. ;)

15. MONON

MONON Member

You know, with the Rocket signed, this team is about the same(minus Kent & Miller of course) what we were so excited about last season. Even after we signed Beltran, he only hit 240 for us during the regular season. I think Willie T. can hit 240 and be almost as good in CF & on the bases. I'm getting excited about this season.

16. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I agree. He's depressed as he asked for 22 mil.

I'm glad he's back, but don't feed me this.

17. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I heard his interview on 740 and he basically did bash him. Saying that Carlos didnt do so well towards the end of the season, then all of a sudden played well in the playoffs. Then said that they made a "substantial" offer for him but denied us and was upset about that. I loved how he said, "Losing Carlos isnt bad, but losing him AND Kent was a big blow".

hehe, screw Beltran... :p

18. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Yeah shut it lol....ill stop taking shots before i post...don't ask me how i did that kind of math....the one subject i am exceptionally good at....

19. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

I saw that and was thinking the same. He kind of bashed him a bit.

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I agree 100%...dont' get me wrong, it would have been real nice to have Beltran, but if you look at the stats on what he did in the regular season, then he is replacable...That being said, I don't see the Mets being in the post season anytime soon, so can't worry about his post season stats...