1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clearing something up: The Rockets didn't choose Lin over Dragic or Lowry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

This is stupid, it's called basic research. Look at how he did in high school and college, and tell me he didn't deserve to get a single scholarship or get drafted. He didn't learn how to play basketball overnight in NY.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Without Lin we would be starting Toney Douglas.

Something people can't seem to wrap their head around is that the talks didn't fall through with Dragic. Morey didn't want Dragic, at least if he came attached with a player option. My guess is he thought Dragic is better than Lowry, which at the time would be bad for us because we just got turned down by Dwight, and were rebuilding (probably with Le$'s blessing). If the Harden trade came before FA I think Morey would have resigned Dragic already, since then we have our superstar and could go from "rebuild" mode to "winning" mode.

As for Brooks I don't want him on the squad, simply because he's too short and is a defensive liability. He was ok in RA offense, but considering the offense we have now is dumbed down he'd just be a liability. I think Lin's just performing bad because he's still injured, and even then he's giving solid numbers, not bad for 8M a year.

3. Oscarzero

Oscarzero Member

I take the question in another perspective. Irrelevant to Lin. Ignore all other facts. Should we give Goran the deal he wants? The one with player option?

I ain't sure but I guess Morey actually knows how good Goran is and decide he doesn't worth the deal. I think we all pretty know Goran's upside and limitations and to me he is NOT an all-star calibre player, and never will. Yes he is jerking up impressive figures but he is playing in a system that suit him most, and in a **** team. A comparable case is Martin: impressive figures at Kings and Rockets, but we all know he didn't worth the money, and would not be a key foundation for championship (well, unless he plays as a sixth man like now). The most likely outcome of that deal to Goran is, he plays quite well, the team is playing not bad, but still far from having championship quality, and we all got stucked at the 13-15th draft pick spot again. What's even worse is since there is a player option we won't be able to trade him for great value. We got stucked in the middle again.

Just my thought though. If Goran's deal is that "reasonable", many other team would go for it, which didn't happen. Goran isn't that much a big miss. With or without him we are pretty much the same this season anyway.

4. Oscarzero

Oscarzero Member

Oh yea as a side note, Kyle Lowry is a much better player than Goran because of his all round contribution. He is a big miss, but the matter is out of our hand.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Kyle Lowry > Goran Dragic > Jeremy Lin
    $6 mil for 2 yrs > $7.5 mil for 4 yrs > $8.3 mil for 3 yrs

#145 Aruba77, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  6. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Lowry got us Harden...

too early to judge Lin.... come back after all star break

7. VanityHalfBlack

Lowry
    Dragic
    Harden
    Parson
    Asik

WOW, that is a force to be reckon with right there...

8. peter2012

peter2012 Member

Can everybody stop talking lowry and dragic? They are gone not because of lin and deal with it. Give lin more time, he is not 100% back yet, still have difficulty finishing some lay-ups.

9. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Truth be told!

Would the Rockets be better off if Knicks matched and no Goran?

I can tell you one thing, Rockets get No attention from anyone until maybe Harden trade.

Question is, attention good?

10. peter2012

peter2012 Member

I am pretty sure his teammates like attention otherwise few people know them. Ask novak and landry fields, they will tell you how to get a big contract.
    Lin made teammates around him better is not a secret anymore.

11. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Both Dragon and Lowry are significantly better then lin but thats not the issue.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Lowry and Dragic were both great point guards that were on our roster last season. Everyone isn't going to magically forget about them because Jeremy Lin arrives. Sorry to disappoint everyone in this thread.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

While there's no need to forget them, there's also no need to pretend like Lin is the cursed cause that led to them leaving. With some sinister conspiracy theory that Les is so in love with China money that he's willing to sacrifice the team for it. Yet I get that from a lot of fans here.

I remember there was a huge stink on this board when it came out that the Rockets let Dragic go because of the player option. Yet fast forward a few months, and people seemed to have forgotten all about that.

14. zdrav

zdrav Member

If Thomas Edison was so smart, how come he's dead?

15. roxxy

roxxy Member

Your not serious right? That would be a hot mess.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Either way you put it Morey/Les chose Lin for $8.3M/3 years over Dragic for $7.5M/4 years. They were not going to pay that much for 2 guys at the same position, that would be silly.

No one is demonizing Lin. The organization signed Lin over Dragic for reasons other than current basketball abilities. That's what some people are upset about.

17. rokit

rokit Member

basically, you didn't read anything posted on this tread.

18. VanityHalfBlack

You dummy...

19. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Did you by any chance come across these two words in this thread - 'player option'?

Or these two words - 'fourth year'?

And people haven't really been lashing out at 'the organization' ... they'e been lashing out at Lin.

20. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

My eye-test alone says you are at a similar level ... ;)