1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clearing something up: The Rockets didn't choose Lin over Dragic or Lowry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 24, 2012.

1. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I see a lot of people arguing causation like this and trying to timeline GM moves even though it has nothing to do with the bottom line.

The bottom line is that Jeremy Lin has big shoes to fill. The Rockets had two borderline all-star point guards who were both on the precipice of having breakout seasons. Now they don't, for [reasons]. They have Jeremy Lin. The mechanics of how and why that happened and which trade would have possible or impossible with which pick or with what cap space are not only uninteresting, but are completely irrelevant to the bottom line. Which again, is that Jeremy Lin has big shoes to fill.

2. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

It is no sense to blame the player signing any contract that favors them. Who wouldn't want more money for financial security reason especially for those young players? Its the FO who determines what players they want for the best interest of the team, right or wrong.

3. JorgePenha

JorgePenha Member

For me its clear.

Rockets isnt a good place for playmaker PG.

Never was on their entire history.

Rockets always prefered the bigs and 3 shooters players, on their strategy.

And PG are the smartest players.

They realized this, and request to leave.

Brooks, Lowry even Goran. Do not want to stay in Houston.

4. nono

nono Member

Dragic and Lowry both wanted out of this system it seems where bigs and shooters are preferred over point guards. No wonder Lowry got along so terribly with McHale.

5. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

If he really expected the Knicks would keep Lin then why did he go through so much effort? He signed Lin for $5 million more than Lin thought he could get. He paid Lin more than he thought he was worth to make sure the Knicks had to pay around $70 million in luxury tax to keep him. Morey knew the Knicks (and Bulls) situation and he took advantage of it.

He did the math. It took all of us a while, including the Knicks, to realize Lin simply wasn't worth it.

Dragic doesn't owe anything to the Rockets. You argue he owes something to the Rockets for playing well for them. Everyone knew Dragic's breakout was not a fluke, but many questioned whether or not Lin could keep it up (post-injury or not). Dragic did the smart thing. There is some sort of stigma about signing a basketball player to a long term deal once he hits 30. If he is out playing his contract then he won't take that player option to get another long term deal. The truth is point guards decline slower than other positions.

This bothers me. Don't the Rockets ever want to sign players to, you know, keep them? McHale wanted to keep him, Morey wanted him and so did the fans. Considering his contract and his performance he more than deserved the player option. It's not like we would need to upgrade the PG position if we'd kept him for at least 3 more years.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The difference is that Dragic had just 28 starts because he was a backup to a 2 time MVP in Steve Nash and our own pretty damn good point guard in Kyle Lowry. Lin has just a few starts because he was undrafted, cut twice, and was on an injury riddled team that needed a point guard. It's Dragic's fault for not taking a lower valued contract to stay in Houston over the former team that he loved in Phoenix? Seriously?

7. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Like I said, it's a very rare occasions in the NBA where someone with only 28 starts deserves a player options. So yes it is his fault for not wanting to stay in Houston because Rox contract was actually a good one presented to him for his 28 starts. But because he wanted that extra option, he chose to leave Houston. You can't blame the Rox for not wanting to risk a player option on someone who has little start.

8. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

Dragic > Lin

Morey messed up big. Why so reluctant to give Dragic a 4th year?

9. CometsWin

No, it's certainly not his fault for taking the better contract with another team. It's a poor evaluation by this team of the player you had and the talent available to be signed.

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Lowry had nothing to do with it.

Choosing Lin over Dragic looks like a colossal ****up so far. And it's pretty clear Alexander wanted Lin back badly. They weren't going to keep two starting points on the roster.

11. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

The logic doesn't make sense, we are discussing whose fault it is for Dragic's leaving. You are pinning the fault at Rox, but the reality of the situation is that it is a big risk to sign someone with a player option who only had 28 starts. So you can't blame Rox for his leaving because they actually gave a great contract for his 28 starts. So in the end the blame should be on him for leaving Rox because there was a better contract. He chose monetary value over the team it's as simple as that.

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

LOL what about my statement is ludicrous?

Frankly I never blame players for wanting to get paid. Dragic wanted to be paid for his effort & if I was in his shoes I would do the exact same. Do I personally think Dragic was selfish hell no. I am of the opinion that nobody deserves blame. The NBA is a business & both Morey & Dragic made business decisions.

I just thought it was funny that very few Rockets fans have said Dragic was selfish for wanting that player option. For most NBA fans the norm is that they usually unfairly blame the player for being "greedy" however in Dragics case that isn't what is happening. Just a thought.

13. CometsWin

It's Dragic fault because he left for a better contract than the Rockets offered and you're saying my logic doesn't make sense? :grin:

14. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

No I'm saying he's the one that caused him to leave the Rox. I have no problem that he want a better contract. I liked that he got better appreciation. But you can't put the blame on the FO for this because they actually gave him a good deal.

15. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Nobody knows if that's the case it's to early to tell, give Lin a chance just like Lowry and Dragic were giving a chance.

Dragic may be better now but you don't know if that will be the case thru the life of the contract. This is Dragics 5th year and this is more or less still Lins 1st year. Part of the reason Dragic came to Houston was because he was only shooting 27% from beyond the arc in Phoenix that year.

Many players have improved their shooting in the NBA, once Lin does that will make the rest of his offensive game better.

Lets not forget that Dragic liked Phoenix anyway, there is no guarantee that even if the Rockets gave him the 4th year that he would have chosen Houston over Phoenix.

16. mazinger

mazinger Member

The only reason Dragic isn't with the Rockets was because he wanted a player's option on his last year. Morey was not going to have any of that so he didn't sign him. The only players that are worth a player's option are superstars and Dragic isn't one.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i wasn't upset about dragic till this thread. thanks

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Because those contracts are hard to trade.

Dragic is not a superstar.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Guys, it's not about the 4th year, it's about the player option. Stop saying "Morey wouldn't give him the fourth year!"

Dragic wanted a player option because it gives him the flexibility to choose but still have financial security.

Morey wouldn't give it because he has a policy of "no player options for non-superstars". The reason for that is because player options make a guy virtually untradeable, and because they have no good 4th year outcome for the player's team. If Dragic was better than his contract, he declines and walks for max money. If he was worse than his contract, he accepts the player option and you're stuck with an overpaid player.

If it was just a regular guaranteed 4th year maybe Morey would have done it. The option makes it a no go.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

how much does he make per year