1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Classical America] Parents of Overweight Children Cannot Distinguish That Their Children Are Overwe

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, May 8, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not the same at all. GMO foods aren't low quality or unhealthy

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Most peasants have had very little access to protein. Animals were expensive to maintain and in many cases were as valuable for the labor they provided as much as meat. Chinese for centuries diets was very heavily based on rice with some vegetables which is one reason traditional Chinese food uses small pieces of meat as a flavoring more than as a centerpiece. For most poor Irish subsisted off of barley and then later potatoes.

High fat and cholesterol is a very valuable food source for a very active lifestyle but traditionally has been hard to maintain. For hunter gatherers there was a lot of effort in hunting animals to get those substances. Agricultural societies there was the tradeoff of energy to raise the animals, including food and water that might otherwise go directly to human consumption. It is really only with the advent of industrial farming that vast amount of high fat and cholesterol foods can be easily obtained by most people with little energy expended.

Further it is also because things like fat, cholesterol and sugar was so hard to obtain that evolution has hardwired us to want those and store them in fat in case of lean times. One problem while we are getting obese now is that our bodies weren't meant to constantly have easy access to food.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True different type of carbs have different effects but if one were to just eat a peasant diet of grains and / or potatoes without also laboring like a peasant they would probably still get fat.

As I said earlier diets are only one part of the problem of the obesity epidemic. Sedentary lifestyles are also a big part. As long as you are getting an inordinate amount of calories of any kind and in far in excess of what your metabolic needs you will probably get fat.

4. Mr. Clutch

That's true but the question then becomes why are we eating more?

The specific types of processed food which combine carbs and fat in certain way could send reward signals to the brain that cause us to overeat.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I've had chickens and cows and they aren't that hard or energy intensive to maintain. Cows eat grass make milk, throw chickens some grain and they create an egg everyday. We are talking about the majority of people not just the poor. Based on my knowledge of old plays even poor people had skinny looking cows, chickens and goats.

What we are really talking about is (I think) can we trust the government to tell us what is healthy and the proof says we probably cannot. A high carbohydrate diet and a fear of fat is a bad thing. A vegetarian diet with trans fats is bad.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is the same because . . . . .why should they have to tell you what they contain either?

The people don't have the right .. . according to you . . . .to know what they eating .. . . .if they want to know they should research it.

so If something is low quality or unhealthy . .. . **** em . . let the buyer be ware

Rocket River

7. Remii

Remii Member

If it was just .001% those food companies wouldn't have had to sink $44 million dollars into California to fight against proposition 37 and almost lost... And the Non-GMO labeled food wouldn't be making any money. You're only assuming everyone trust the FDA (and the rest of the alphabet boys) as much as you do.

According to who... Scientists who work for the FDA...? Lol... It's still monkeys walking around but I'm sure you can find scientific research that says humans evolved from monkeys. But it was scientific research in the other article I posted and here's another for you ---> http://www.collective-evolution.com...-proving-gmos-can-be-harmful-to-human-health/

Around 60 countries have a ban on GMO's and Russia recently put a 10 year ban on GMO's. Only time will tell if GMO's are 100% completely safe and healthy and not just science.

And again, regardless of our different opinions people should still be able to have a choice and it would cost these companies nothing to stamp GMO on their products.

And our bodies may not have been meant to be eating all of the processed foods and or chemicals used on foods. But it use to be more people who would eat to live instead of living to eat and now that has reversed... At least in this country.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I will revisit this thread when I'm not drinking a raspberry latte.

9. Mr. Clutch

Read again. You have the right to know whatever you want about a product.

You dont have the right to demand everyone put anything you want on a label.

You're not realizing these antiGMO folks are using government to funnel money to themselves with these tactics. They aren't winning the science debate so they are trying to out regulate their opponents and put them out of business.

It isn't like the example you stated because it has been scientifically proven GMO is healthy and high quality.

10. Mr. Clutch

It would not cost nothing.

Not only would it cost money to change the labels, it would also give the false impression to consumers that these foods are unsafe.

It's a scare tactic. Its false advertising in the reverse.

Im really not in favor of governing like California and Russia. Some of the most hysterical political movements have originated there.

You haven't given me an unbiased source yet.

11. Mr. Clutch

I seriously doubt eating just grains and potatoes will make you fat. The food that is the culprit is highly processed food like enriched bread, fried foods, softdrinks and anything with corn syrup.

Going back to just plain grains and potatoes would be a huge improvement. Although I do question grains at time.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

My days of arguing over GMO's on clutchfans is over (for the most part) but I just want to chime in on a thing or two.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=97567

This is something that should be alarming to many.

13. Mr. Clutch

Again, it's how the question is asked.

The referenda lost in California and the rest of the states don't care.

14. Buck Turgidson

Just to clarify, he's the Deputy Commissioner for Food, and he was outside counsel for Monsanto 25 years ago. Truly alarming.

15. Mr. Clutch

We shouldn't even have a deputy commissioner of food.

This isn't Russia

16. Buck Turgidson

I'm sure there's some folks in Brenham who would agree with that statement, along with Commodore and the other nutbar libertarian types.

17. Mr. Clutch

But seriously what does he do?

Besides take money from corporations and paranoid anti GMO folks, of course

18. Remii

Remii Member

Corporate interest should never go before the interest of citizens to be able to make a choice on the foods they consume. You can't politic for the right for people to draw cartoons to offend people and then say people don't have the right to know what they're eating... That's crazy.

California is just one example... Lol. It's a couple of states that have actually won the label battle so there goes your .001% theory Mr Free Range Chicken.

I would like to see your unbiased scientific research you've found about GMO's being 100% safe...

19. Remii

Remii Member

And then he returned to Monsanto between 1996-2000 as VP of public policy... And for the FDA one of his jobs is deciding which labels goes on food... #ConflictOfIntrest

20. Mr. Clutch

Non of my arguments have been corporate interest arguments. They are consumer interest.

Good strawman though