1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Classical America] Parents of Overweight Children Cannot Distinguish That Their Children Are Overwe

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, May 8, 2015.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Blaming GMO's is taking the responsibility of eating habits away. In the last 30 years, we've seen an explosion of fast, cheap, easily available food. If that isn't your sign, I dont know what is. Portions (and I dont mean Chandler) are getting larger and larger. 20 years ago in my late teens, I was completely stuffed to uncomfort if I ate an average combo meal. Now it takes double that to feel that way.

The suggested 2000 calorie a day is bogus. If someone is eating 2000 calories a day of garbage day in and day out, they are likely going to get fat.

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Where is and what is Pizzadahut's opinion on all this? ;) :)

3. Remii

Remii Member

I didn't put all the blame on GMO's, I said they shouldn't be overlooked (considering the topic Rocket brought up)... And the government should have the responsibility of letting people have the choice to decide what they are consuming.

In one of those articles I posted it mentions that GMO's may contribute to having a bigger appetite... And now you make that statement... Maybe it's just a coincidence.
    Plus many fast food joints use chemicals in their foods like these ---> http://naturalsociety.com/4-worst-fast-food-ingredients-dont-tell/ No one knows how that will effect people over a long period of time.

On the 1st page I said many people live a fast food lifestyle... And they should probably stop.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

From your article.

According to the study, the BMI of the average 18-year-old from 1959 to 1980 stayed relatively stable at 22. However, it had risen to 23 by 1990, and to about 25 by 2000, the researchers found. That would translate into a weight gain from an average of 149 pounds to an average of 166 pounds for a 5-foot 9-inch, 18-year-old male. An average 5-foot 5-inch female's weight increased from 132 to 147 pounds.

5. Mr. Clutch

I'm really not. If you want to buy nonGMO food, no one is stopping you from seeking it out. Look for food labelled non GMO.

For example, I like to buy free range chicken and eggs. I look for products labelled as such. I dont demand that everyone else label their products as "NOT free range." That would be insane.

The more I think about it, the more GMO people seem like anti vaxxers. They have these extreme moral and anti-scientific views. They know most people don't agree, yet that doesn't stop them from demanding that they be accommodated, and they dont care about the costs they impose on the rest of society.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Yea... You argue that GMO's are perfectly scientifically certified safe but yet you're out label checking when you're buying food because you don't want to consume that shyt yourself... Lol... Contradicting :confused:

7. Mr. Clutch

Um, no. That's not what I said.

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I take much exception to the entire article. There's no connection made between starch and why so many Americans are overweight, or how the government is to blame for people being overweight. Consumption of starches have increased in the past 12000 years and the federal government did endorse a food pyramid, but nothing in that article makes any connections. It is only correlation.

9. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I'm only concerned when the cleaner starches my shorts. ;) :grin:

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Oh I thought you were saying something along the lines of bread and rice not being recent additions to the human diet.

The government spread a fear of fat and saturated fat which spread low fat products being available everywhere. It also encouraged actively a high carb diet through information and subsidy policy.

What kind of connections do you want? High carb diet causes inflammation? High carbs causes diabetes? High carb diet causes insulin resistance?

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Actually they fighting for the FREEDOM TO NOT SPEAK
    Around here they b**** and moan at the idea of GMOs being marked as GMOs
    They are nanny stating by saying. . . .the public is too ignorant to make up its own mind about GMOs
    so GMSO should not be labeled as such
    because they know what is best. . . .trust them

Rocket River

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

you have to the right to choose what you eat. . . but not the right to know what you are choosing?

Rocket River

13. Bandwagoner

If you want a government mandated label you have to have a reason for it.

14. Remii

Remii Member

Thanks for correction... I read companies spent $44 million in California over proposition 37.

Consumers wanting to know what they are eating should be reason enough... And that's not even mentioning the body of evidence that's growing on the health issues caused by GMO's. The US is one of the only industrialized nations without GMO labeling.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with the timeline analogy you posted and I also agree there is some good evidence that high carb diets have been shown to be a tie with diabetes. What I think is missing though in the analysis is the role that physical activities plays. While our hunter ancestors didn't eat a lot of starch at the same time they spent a lot of time and energy obtaining food. For most of history our agricultural ancestors also spent a lot of time and energy growing food and also for many other activities that required a lot of physical effort. Obesity, diabetes and etc.. haven't really been a problem for agriculture societies until relative recently which also correlate with the increase of very sedentary lifestyles with very little energy expended on other activities.

Diets high in starches have certainly contributed to obesity and other food related problems but there are other lifestyles that pay a big role. If starches were the primary culprit then we would've already historically seen high rates of obesity and diabetes among many peasent cultures where starches were a even higher portion of their diets than modern American diets.

16. Bandwagoner

No very little about history but weren't they still eating a very high fat diet? Unless they literally just had rice to eat there was never any fear of fat and never any HFCS in gallon sized cokes.

Full fat milk and eggs were a cheap staple of early agricultural americans.

17. Mr. Clutch

No one is stopping you from knowing. Just like with any product, if you want something specific, do your research. Seek out products that have your label.

But don't expect every product you buy to have specific labels when 99% of the public and science says its irrelevant.

You will end up with a billion labels on everything.

18. Mr. Clutch

What consumers? .001%?

There is no growing body of evidence. Not anything that passes scientific muster.

19. Mr. Clutch

It is specific types of carbs too. Societies that have traditionally eaten potatoes and rice are fine.

But fried food is obviously the bad kind of carb

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Mr. Clutch . . . PRO BRED SPREAD

http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/WhatWeDo/History/FOrgsHistory/CFSAN/ucm083863.htm

Rocket River