1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Classical America] Parents of Overweight Children Cannot Distinguish That Their Children Are Overwe

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, May 8, 2015.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

BMI is horrible. My 10 year old daughter is 5'3" and wears size 0 or 2 clothing depending on the brand and according to her BMI, she is slightly over weight.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Is this the section you have a problem with?

I haven't done the math but it seems perfectly logical. Why do you think it is preposterous?

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

^ Great quote

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What does this have to do with Euripides?

Thread title sucks. Neg rep.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

This was a fat kid in the eighties.

1 person likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The USDA is a textbook case of regulatory capture. Hence the schizofrenic research posing as "food science" over the last 50 years.

I'd like to think bottom dwellers (like me) from both political sides can agree that that is bayud even if neither party will do jack **** about it.

7. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

BMI is not BS at all. Unless you're a professional athlete or bodybuilder/powerlifter (which I'm really doubting any children are) then it works perfectly.

8. Remii

Remii Member

If you're going to go this route than we can't overlook GMOs...

According to the Organic Consumers Association, it's estimated that 75 percent of processed foods contain GMOs -- and 80 percent of all food consumed in the U.S. is processed. It's no surprise that the Centers for Disease Control's (CDC) weight gain data shows that obesity has spiked dramatically since the early 1990s -- which just happens to be soon after genetically modified crops were introduced into the food supply.
    http://www.naturalnews.com/045247_GMOs_weight_gain_obesity.html

Just judging by the D&D... I see more posters concerned about some bu77shyt freedom of speech right to draw cartoons than they do about losing their rights to know what they are consuming.

9. Mr. Clutch

Obesity started going up in the 70's.

Anyways, correlation is not causation. You are telling me eating a GMO apple is making me fat? C'mon.

There is no scientific basis whatsoever for fearing GMO foods.

10. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

This is a tough one.

No parent wants to admit that they've overfed their child.It's difficult for them to comprehend that they have enabled the most important person in their life to eat beyond categorically healthy portions.

I have no data to support this, but it seems like America simply accepts being overweight or mildly obese as close to the the norm. In my community, I'd wager one in every four adults is overweight. I'd also wager the same for the kids.

Personally, I firmly believe healthy eating habits start at home, but they are also learned from peers. Kids eat what their friends are eating.

Moreover, and again, without any data, it seems like humans who have healthy weight levels learn how to maintain that weight through some sort of subconscious discipline. They may physically feel their limits of "fullness" or they may simply "choose" to stop eating out of fear of weight gain.

I think many of us count our calories intake as a learned behavior. Even if you have never had a weight problem, it's possible that you still estimate your calorie intake, especially carbs and fats. Is it a fear of extra weight or being called "fat?" I don't know.

I will admit to being in good shape and pretty lean. My father was 6"6' and was an athlete. My mother is 5"8 and skinny as well. However, our household ( after my father finally received his master's degree and made some decent dough...he eventually was a superintendent for a district of 30 schools; we were nearly homeless when I was 3-7 years old) had terrible food choices. I'm talking the sugary cereals, twinkies, Mac and cheese, Soda, etc...

But my sister and I never over-indulged. I don't know why. I think it was my peer group. We all played ball, and each of us would go on to play through high school.

My dad chose to keep those "bad" foods in the house because he was an orphan until the age of 18 and never had anything "fun" to eat. I think it was his way of giving us what he never had.

I find myself LUCKY to have not eaten all that was available to me when we finally had a house and food in the fridge. Was it because I noticed the painful insults that other kids at school received for being overweight? I don't know.

Anyway, there definitely seems to be a misunderstanding among parents and their children who may be overweight. Do overweight parents fail to recognize when their families are following suit because of psychological reasons? Stress? Depression?

To me, it's such a complex, interesting issue among American families.

I feel badly for the kids, especially the ones who have no idea what's happening to their bodies or that all that great-tasting food is setting them up for a tough life later on.

I don't know much about the thyroid element being part of the problem, but that's a whole different issue in itself.

Overweight/Obesity among kids is something that I don't think we'll ever solve because we can't change the behaviors of parents, who are the ultimate enablers, as well as the geniuses who make food commercials designed for kids.

It's possible that individuals with weight problems solve them only when they become self-aware that there is actually a problem, or when they have to, sadly, compare themselves to their peers, whom society or their community consider as physically fit or the "right" weight.

1 person likes this.
  11. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Food is too cheap.

12. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Probably because the parents are fat too.

13. Mr. Clutch

Fresh, healthy food is more expensive and also takes time to cook plus is perishable.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

BMI doesn't work perfectly, but when applied to large masses of adults, it's pretty good.

15. Remii

Remii Member

The article wasn't referring to when obesity started going up... It refers to the dramatic spike in obesity.

I didn't say that... And neither did the article.

From my understanding you probably won't find much scientific research in this country since Monsanto buys out and or fights most who do... And places like Europe and China disagree with you... And these companies spent a lot of campaign money to keep from labeling food. What reason do they have to do that...??? The head of the FDA use to work for Monsanto btw.

But regardless on the opinion you and I have on GMOs... People should have the right to make their own choice on rather or not they want to be experimented on.

16. Mr. Clutch

Yes, you have the right to eat what you want. No, you don't have the right to demand whatever labels you want on whatever you want.

All science on GMO has been bought out? No, it really hasn't. Europe and China do a lot of crazy things.

The big increase in GMO use started in late 90's while obesity spiking was already well underway.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

GMOs?
    _____

Nearly a third of all men in London are too fat to see their genitals

More than 30 per cent of men in the capital cannot see their penis due to the size of their waistband, a new nationwide study shows.

A man unable to see his manhood is fives times more likely to suffer from Type 2 Diabetes, experts say.

The West Midlands turns out to have the highest percentage of men in the country struggling to see their genitalia.

This survey is part of the ‘Big Check’ campaign by WeLoveOurHealth.co.uk, who are highlighting the importance of their waist band measurements rather than the Body Mass Index (BMI).

link

18. Mr. Clutch

How do they test this, exactly?

19. Exiled

Exiled Member

There is a good reason why they called Glen Davis a "Big Baby"

20. Remii

Remii Member

How can you have the right to eat what you want if companies have the right to not let you know what you are eating... You're contradicting yourself.

I didn't say that.. But you make more of my point that people should have a choice because all the science hasn't come out.

Exactly... And when the Chinese government passes on a chance to make money because they don't want to experiment on their people, you should pay attention.

Really... Because I keep finding articles that state other wise.
    http://health.usnews.com/health-new...demic-of-obesity-in-us-kids-began-in-late-90s