1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clarett is likely done for year

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 4chuckie, Sep 2, 2003.

Tags:
  1. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

As being reported on ESPN he is no longer practicing with OSU as of today.

The scoop I am hearing is he showed up for the game on Saturday in another new luxury SUV and did an interview with ESPN, which ticked off alot of people.

The AD of OSU also had a press conference and said he will not be playing for the forseaable future. He cited bylaws 10 and 12 (integrity/evasiveness/truthfulness and amateurism).

Anyways that's the latest, more than likely he won't be back at OSU his year and possibly may never play in the NCAA again.

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

He should have declared for this year's draft. If he comes out next year (and why wouldn't he?), he will be drafted.

3. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

I believe there is a rule that you have to have completed your sophmore (or junior) year to qualify for the draft BobFinn.

4. mduke

mduke Member

You have to have been in school 3 years. So a RS sophomore can leave after his sophomore year. Or a *cough* Tommie Harris* cough Junior.:)

5. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Dont think he will leave, if he does he will have to play in Canada, doubt he will wanna go there, i think he will just challenge the rule and what most analyst say if he took the rule to court long enough the NCAA would probably just give in to him.

6. Major

Major Member

Dont think he will leave, if he does he will have to play in Canada, doubt he will wanna go there, i think he will just challenge the rule and what most analyst say if he took the rule to court long enough the NCAA would probably just give in to him.

Just FYI, it's an NFL rule ... the NCAA has no say in who's eligible for the NFL. I'm not sure the NFL wants to open that door - I could see them fighting it and potentially dragging it out.

7. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

They are now reporting that he will likely look to transfer or challenge the NFL rule.

He has serious issues and if he did violate NCAA rules I do not think he should be allowed to play in the NCAA. I think it is rediculous that these kids can violate the rules and then just transfer and continue to play.

8. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

And the school they leave is punished by the NCAA.

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Actually Athletic Director Geiger (from OSU) has a note from the NCAA from the investigation they conducted saying it was a "individual" problem at OSU and not related to the team. So no risk (at this time) of any sanctions.

Another option for Maurice is to stay in Columbus, begin suing the NFL and join the (to be announced) Columbus Arena League team (I believe they are transferring from Buffalo?). It may be in his best interest to get out of Columbus, but what better way to sell out an Arena team than to have a 19 y/o All-American playing on it.

It appears a lawsuit to the NFL will require years, so I am guessing his best option would be to join the CFL/Arena League, apply to the NFL and sue for lost compensation while it is in the court system.

10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

If he were to transfer, wouldnt he have to sit out a year before being able to play?

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think I heard on ESPN that this year would count as his 'sit out' year.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So its Okay that the coaches can do the same thing?? And the coaches don't have to sit out a year.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm assuming the kid really screwed up. So now he's paying the consequences. My mom would have been glad the team booted me to the curb. This is a good leasson for him to learn if indeed he really did screw up. You don't get a free ride in life. You have to earn it. The punishment makes him stronger. The longer it is the better off he'll be for it.

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I am going to probably regret saying this considering how much I despise the Buckeyes, but I think it would be hilarious to see Ohio State repeat as National Champions this season.

If that does happen, I would love to see the look on Clarett's face. It would be the best thing as it would teach him that he is one player and that it is teams that win football championships and not individuals.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

And why did that tick people off? Last I heard the OSU people were defending him and couldn't wait to get him back on the field.

Is it because SUVs cause terrorism?

16. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

He got in trouble (one of the reasons) for illegaly using a car from a dealership. Having another new one shows (assuming this indeed true) that he isn't changing his ways.

17. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Yeah but Ohio State has to ok his transfer/release. OSU is keeping him on scholarship so he is not being released at this point to go anywhere else and play.

Additionally while he is on scholarship OSU and the NCAA will determine his penalty. Now what do you think will happen if he starts talking about playing somewhere else? Well OSU will recommend a VERY large suspension.

It's in his best interest (for now) to keep quiet, let the suspension come and then take action. Doing anything now will just ensure he won't be playing anywhere in the NCAA anytime soon.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This kid is going to crash and burn in the NFL.

His life is a train wreck.

DD

19. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I saw his interview on ESPN a couple of weeks. He didn't sound like a moron. I wonder if he is getting bad advice.

20. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

My college roommate this year comes from the area where Clarett comes from and he said that the whole cleveland/ youngstown area knew that Clarett needed help through high school to the point where the diploma was put in his hands for him. He went to two different high schools. And he says that Clarett would be one to borrow a car from someone and not think that the rules are for him. He knows what he is doing wrong but doesn't think that he should be punished and that the rules effect him.