1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema] Whiplash

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bobmarley, Jan 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Just watched this and was blown away. What I found interesting is what the director envisioned happening after the finale concert. While it would seem Andrew found acceptance from Fletcher at the end after bouncing back from Fletcher's cruel move in grand fashion, the director implied the two would still hate each other afterwards even though they shared a moment. And, instead of envisioning Andrew going on to a successful career after, he saw the character sinking back to that lonely, depressing place he was before the concert and even going on to overdose on drugs dying an early death in his 30s.

While it would seem Fletcher finally produced that musician he always wanted through his tactics, it was implied that may not necessarily have been the reason for the performance at the end.

Interesting movie and even more interesting in the director's dark vision for what followed that we did not get to see. The ending felt like a "happily ever after" type ending but appears to be anything but. The "triumph" was fleeting it appears.

#21 Surfguy, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  2. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

JK Simmons killed it. Supporting actor award well deserved

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Don't see how one can watch Birdman and Whiplash and think the former was better, Whiplash is the best movie of the year.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/bird-lives-again_816390.html

This was refreshing. There are so few movies about the pursuit of excellence.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Birdman and Whiplash were my two favorites of the year, but no doubt Whiplash was better. JK Simmons' performance is something I could re-watch infinitely. Definitely agree with you.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I probably prefer Whiplash to Birdman, but it's close. Really the difference for me are the endings. Whiplash's ending is perfect. Birdman's ending is confusing and felt unnecessary.

6. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

that is interesting. curious how that would have played out

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Just watched this because I'm in the middle of a 16-hour flight. JK Simmons was incredible as was the movie.

The premise had no appeal to me at all and it took about 15 mins before I got hooked.

Based on earlier comments, won't bother watching Birdman which was next on the list.

8. Buck Turgidson

Lame. You should watch it.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Birdman is better. And surprisingly, the drumming in that movie is better too.

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Same with the premise but I ended up loving this movie.

You should see Birdman, it's excellent.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Tried to watch Birdman but couldn't stay awake the rest of the flight. From what I did see, it was very good.

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Kyrie Irving used this movie as inspiration and even wrote the name of the movie on his shoes during the playoffs.

13. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I put Whiplash above it on my movies of (last) year list, but Birdman is certainly worth watching

I'm seeing it at Bonnaroo with a live drum score next month and I'm really excited for that (Birdman I mean, though Whiplash with a live drum score would be cool too)

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!