1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[cinema] lucy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OmegaSupreme, Apr 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

maybe I'm stupid, but could you clarify/elaborate on what you mean here?

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

In the "judge a book by its cover" world of opinion... I don't like the title of this movie. There seem to be a lot of single female name movies and a lot that at least sound like Lucy. I don't like that.

3. Buck Turgidson

Because it's a completely made up statistic with zero scientific evidence to support it.

4. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

haha interesting stuff. I've never really thought about it. I just always assumed we used less than 10% of our brain. Glad to learn something new

cheers

5. Buck Turgidson

Well, it's true that we don't use 100% of our brain *at one time*.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

This is not true either. Scans show that every part of your brain is active even during sleep.

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Just saw Under the Skin because it has Scarlett Jo in it and is rated 86% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I haven't seen a more pointless movie in my life.

8. Salvy

Salvy Member

Wait no..... Can confirm sometimes we only use part of our brains and not to its full potential.... I can"t give you a certain percentage because that would be nearly impossible to prove or provide but here is some evidence that very much proofs that only using 10% our brains if not even lower is possible and its real....

Here is an example of a brain only working at 7%, #7 is the subject....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vh_wLpQjh6k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is another example of a brain working at an even lower percentage... #25 is the subject....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mejFtEY5faU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One more, brain was probably at 2% here.... Subject, all three males...

[​IMG]

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I know when I look at Scarlett Johansson that I am using less than 10% of my brain :grin:

80% on Rotten Tomatoes.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Are you sure it wasn't #13? He was the one that points at #2 to switch to another offensive player. :mad:

Not EVERY part. :eek:

[​IMG]

11. Salvy

Salvy Member

Don't do this to me Swoly....... #13 was clearly just stretching his arm and finger.... Even #13 did signal to #25 that #2 was our best option at pg #25 could have focused on the game more....

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Really?
    I saw it on my ON DEMAND and was curious about watching it
    Had not pulled the trigger and watched it yet . .. .
    so . . . this is good to hear

Rocket River

13. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

Are we really discussing the "science" behind this movie?

We will never mutate and have special powers.
    Spider bites will not allow you to walk on walls.
    Radiation exposure will not make you turn into a Hulk.
    A metal suit will not make you fly and chase you in the air to get you into it.
    A "young" sun will not make you superhuman--if you were sent to a distant galaxy.
    There is no one with a hammer watching over us us from a distance universe.

The point of these types of movies is to take us out our boring daily routines and give us a few hours of wonder and amazement.

So, just go enjoy a great special effects movie. I am sure they will through some "science" explanation in the beginning to make you believe it could be possible--just like all these type of movies.

14. Buck Turgidson

Sometimes I use 110% percent of my brain. It's not as cool as it sounds, though, 'cause I have epilepsy.

1 person likes this.
  15. VanityHalfBlack

Exactly. Call me old fashioned but I'm a big believer in people making up their minds when it comes to films by watching them - not reading a few Internet comments. If a movie doesn't interest you, don't watch it. Nobody is asking film fans to champion every movie that is released from the gates blindly - or even forcing them to watch every movie. That said, until you've seen a movie yourself.

16. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

But I use 100% of my head.... heey oooh!

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed
    I hear so many people parroting something an 'expert' or 'critic' say
    as if they have to 'true' opinion of their own

it is irratating

Rocket River

18. Nero

Nero Member

Yeah.

Getting back to discussing the actual movie, and interrupting the circle-jerk of people who apparently judge the merits of a movie solely upon whether or not every fictional premise is 100% scientifically accurate..

I have been watching the previews for this movie for a while, and it LOOKS like it may be a fun cool movie.

I like Scarlett, and I like movies where people can do amazing things.. its fun to discover each newfound ability or power right along with the main character.

However, it's a Luc Besson movie, which is a bit worrisome, because he tends to just be silly sometimes..

Also, the marketing troubles me a little bit. Exactly as you noted, the preview is cut and edited in such as way as to create a 'conversation' which most likely never actually occurs in the movie. Morgan Freeman's response to the question of 'What happens when she reaches 100%?' of 'I have no idea.' is NOT really happening in the movie.

Now I know a lot of movies do things like this, but in my experience, it's never a good sign, because it's deliberately deceptive and borderline unethical.

The bigger question is, WHY would the people marketing a movie cut a preview in such a deceptive way?

Unfortunately, the answer to that question is usually '..Because we can't find any better way to market this thing.'

This, to me, is always a huge red flag.

I am hoping this movie is good and fun, but I am getting the vibe that it will be forgettable, like that Depp movie Transcendence.

19. mikus

mikus Member

20. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Scarlett + Luc Besson is an interesting combo. Trailer looks cool but a little cheesy IMHO. And the omnipotent powers just from using '100% of the human mind' or whatever is a little hard to buy for me.