1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema] Looper

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Apr 12, 2012.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I totally enjoyed this movie. I love sci if futuristic mumbo jumbo with a dose of morality. That kid was freaking awesome. I busted up laughing at some of those lines. He was brilliant. I wish they would have played it out further and we could have seen what the kid became. They definitely left me wanting more but I suppose that was the point. Bruce Willis was way too old for that role though. The scene where he meets that woman in the bar he looked grandpa'ish. That wasn't believable at all.

2. Classic

Classic Member

Just saw this movie. Don't know that I'd watch it again but it was unique and I was entertained. Sorta reminded me of Memento in a weird twisty way.

8.0/10

3. Classic

Classic Member

I dunno. Looked like every white guy/asian woman couple i've ever seen. She was about 29, he was about 55-60. About right. ;)

4. SunsRocketsfan

Then why not build the time machine in the middle of the ocean? Lol

Well then i guess there will be no movie for us to watch :)

5. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I agree. I enjoyed it, but not sure how some people where that blown away. Still worth the price of admission.

6. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Just watched it. 8.5/10.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Amazing movie.

9.3/10

Absolutely loved it, went in thinking I wasn't going to like it that much. The director did a really good job.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I have become the most cynical person imaginable when it comes to movies. I have to say, that this is the best movie I have seen in theaters in about a year.

There were times in the beginning when I lost interest or felt like going...thats a complete plot hole, but the direction it took more than made up for it. Looper provided a unique perspective, and I don't think it really borrowed from those movies you mentioned above at all.

9. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Everything was awesome until his older self came back, the movies depth dropped dramatically then. The score wasn't all there to enrich the acting and i just couldn't dig in and really believe anything. The restaurant part was great however.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Just saw it, 7.28/10.

Would have the secks with Emily Blunt in all of her accents. Or at least fap to.

I don't like what they did to JGL's face to match Bruce's, however. Too cartoonish. Should have left his face alone and we would have still believed it was a younger Bruce.

11. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

It was believable until they zoomed in on his bottom lip. That and him float-biking through a corn field were my most lol moments.

12. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Movie was very enjoyable.
    Did an amazing job with the kid, I think I went through every feeling about him the characters did lol. JGL also had Willis' mannerisms down pat.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

Didn't pay attention to this at all. What were some of his Willis mannerisms?

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I enjoyed it. It isn't a greatest movie of all times type of movie but it was good. It was well done, and it was something that is a little different than most of the movies out there. That's what I appreciated the most about it.

The little kid in it was great.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

meh... the kid screams like a girl.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

late to the party. just finished watching it.

Really enjoyed this movie.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Maybe because it takes a tremendous amount of power to work, and must remain hidden, including the power source (surrounded in a lead chamber). And they decided against underground, because the mob also wanted to use them for other purposes.

How's that?? :cool:

in the middle of the ocean doesn't make much sense considering the need to have and hide a great power source, so loopers are easier and they'd likely want it for other purposes, too.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I remember watching it and not liking it because jgl and Willis were irredeemable throughout the movie.

More like Pooper.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

One of the most forced sex scenes I've ever seen. Probably only Matt Damon and Penelope Cruz in All the Pretty Horses is worse. But also Matt Damon and the German woman from Bourne 1. I guess Matt Damon himself has zero chemistry with the opposite sex on screen. He's one rung below Keanu who at least had a good one with Sandra Bullock in Speed.

This movie would be a lot better in my estimation if they had just kept the world from the first half going. Watch enough movies or read enough short stories penned by Phil Dick and you realize that an extremely common motif in sci fi's is the idea of the chase. Everything in the future is proceeding like clockwork, then one irregularity exposes one of the undesirable cracks in the social order. After that, everything is downhill as the government tries to eradicate that anomalous person who had the poor fortune to bear witness to this breakdown.

Looper was cool while it was a futuristic chase movie. Then halfway through they decide to HOLD EVERYTHING and make the remainder of the movie on this sleepy farm in Kansas. It's like time somehow decided to stand still. Maybe this was intentional, but to me the effect was jarring and pretty much ruined the entire legacy of the movie. I mean you're talking about an entire 40-50% of the movie that sucked. And then Blunt runs into the room at night and goes, "I guess it's time for us to have sex now".

#119 Spacemoth, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  20. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I loved it for the exact same reason you hated it. I find that close to 100% of movies I watch become pretty predictable once you get to the midway point. This was one of the few movies where I had absolutely no idea where it was going.