1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema] John Wick 2 2016

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Buck Turgidson

Sorta related, I read this morning that the guy who directed the first one wants to reboot Highlander. That could be fun.

2. VanityHalfBlack

I'm not sure about that. Fury Road and I think that's what you're referring to was one big chase scene with cool explosions and set designs.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah I'm not sure if that's what I meant. If so I disagree with my opinion haha

Pen15clubber and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  4. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Pretty damn good, action scenes were on par, but just didn't like how most of them were at night

Story is a little more complex than the first but passable

I laughed my ass off with the phone conversation saying "I had to avenge my sister's death"
    the Pencil scene.... OHH EMM GEEE
    Was a bit disappointed that it wasn't in Rome for more of the movie
    thought it was kind of weird at the end where made it seem EVERYBODY was a hitman

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I must say John Wick has somehow elevated his double-tap gunfighting into an art form in the sequel. It has become a concerto of bullets, ballet, and brutality.

There are moments when it genuinely resembles performance art; a hyperviolent dance of meticulous choreography and masterful execution.

Then, there are brutal takedowns delivered with such lethal precision that one shivers at the mere sight of a pencil.

In all, the Baba Yaga delivers on the promise of an equally satisfying sequel, which is a rare cinematic triumph.

10/10.

6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Fantastic sequel.

The lighting in the catacombs was terrible. Terrible digital cinematography. Can you imagine what it would have looked like with someone like Roger Deakins or Benoit Debie. The action choreography really elevated it's 2nd tier movie studio (Lionsgate) made in Canada cheap aesthetic.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

daaaaaamn breh. 11/10

the perfect action movie. so many memorable kills, hard to choose between them. a couple that i remember:
    - in the catacombs, baba runs out of clips so he stabs his rifle into the enemy while he reloads. then blasts the breh from within
    - in the train station baba stabs a breh between the legs from down under, then rips whatever's down there open
    - in new york when common was after baba, and they were going through a white tunnel of crowds, baba on the 1st floor and common above him. they shot at each other with silencers very discreetly so nobody would notice. couldn't stop loling

my only complaint was... and this could be a reflection of jontro getting older... the sound was incredibly very loud, especially in the opening sequence. could just be the theater i was in, but i've never had problems with the volume being high before in my life.

but was it just me or was there no music throughout the movie? except in the catacombs where there was rave music, but that was part of the events going on, not background music to help set the tone and emotion. the action spoke for itself.

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Man, my only complaint was the extra ground rolling around stuff. This isnt mma or anything. John Wick doesnt need that fighting style. He gots gats. Actually another one was after he gets the 1911 gun with only 7 rounds, he does his thing, picks up somebody elses gun and had unlimited ammo apparently. Shouldve switched/swapped more guns in that scene.

Favorite was in the catacombs where he had a mantra style of killing these dudes; one in the chest, one in the head. Brap, brap, done. Solid 9/10

Jontro likes this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

this is true. they did the "slam you into the ground" and "mma ground hugging" a whole lot, but it always ends with a bullet to the head so it wasn't bad. i think they went over the chest to head shot thing in the first movie where they mentioned that it was his signature kill, so that wasn't nothing new.

i do realize this about keanue tho, his cautious walks seem to be too much effort. i guess it's his style of walk, but it's like you can see his head bob left and right like he's struggling to walk. a little comical.

also one more thing... in the end, why did the continental breh give him the round metal thing? he's out of the league of assassins, hence no longer abides by the rules... so what good would it do?

#29 Jontro, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Big fan of the ground game, the BJJ and real life shiz in the film.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I suppose I should look at the credits, but is The Continental still part of the movie and "under same management" still -- ie is Ian McShane back. The Continental was a big part of the charm of the original. Or any other interesting casting like Alfie Allen or Willem Dafoe.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

yes, the continental is still there, with the same management and everything. they even expanded to an overseas continental.
    as far as casting, i thought they did well in casting the main bad guy and adding common as the badass opposition.

it seems like the movie literally picked up where the 1st one left off.

heypartner likes this.
  13. VanityHalfBlack

WOW! that is high praise!!! You hated Raid 2 and most marvel movies. Now I need to see this!

Jontro likes this.
  14. VanityHalfBlack

Can someone explain the action? Is it that quick edit cut hollywood bullshit where you can't see **** over stylized? Or is the action scene more wide and scope and you can see what the *** they are doing? It's mostly gun fu right? There's no martial arts in this I suppose?

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

i think you can't escape the hollywood quick cuts, just part of fight scenes nowadays. it's similar to john wick 1 in style. however it's not as bad as other action movies where they have bad choreographers and actors who can't fight, hence forced to use the close-up quick edits.

i think overall, you'll enjoy it. watch it nao!

16. Sacudido

Sacudido Contributing Member

Not the quick cuts. Wide angle and you get to see the entire scene unfold. There are martial arts techniques displayed, but it's integrated with the gun-play. The long takes let you see that Keanu is doing almost all of the action himself. I personally thought the movie was awesome, and will make time to see it again.

17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I have read that people are saying both John Wick movies may be two of the greatest action movies of all time and may completely revitalize the genre. Do you guys agree?

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

don't know about that. the second one was much better than the first, action wise. and i can think of plenty other action movies that are better (with an actual plot too!) than the first. john wick 2's action was so good that it really didn't need that great a plot.

the best part of both is there is absolutely no love story at all. at all. well cept for the wife dying, but that doesn't count. it didn't need teh noodz (tho i wouldn't mind some) nor excessive cursing... just flat out f*** you action.

Dave2000 and Xerobull like this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Great Highly enjoyable movie

Rocket River

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Saw it last night and loved it. The head shooting got so ridiculous that our audience was laughing and applauding. Weird scene (but then it was an Alamo, so everyone was getting lit).

Common was really really good. Stole scenes from Keanu, not that it's that difficult, but still.

Loved some of the strangely absurd humor in it.
    like when they're trying to sneak shots at each other in a mall, or when they keep tumbling down flights of ancient painful-looking stone stairs. And love that he doesn't name his dog. And love the gun p*rn sommelier.

In terms of the end...
    ... where everyone seemed to be an assassin, I think the director at that point is intentionally trying to get you to understand how terrifying it would be to leave that system and have a price on your head. I think some of the people looking at him weren't assassins but were just like WTF with that crazy-looking limping guy in a 3-piece running with his dog.