1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema] Clint Eastwood's 'American Sniper'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Cranberry_Juice

Whats the difference between Texans and rednecks?

Texan's ride horses and rednecks ride their cousin's

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The one thing I thought very odd was how they consistently used fake babies. Anyone else think that? Also, the CGI, at times, was somewhat shoddy. For instance, when the wife was breastfeeding the baby. It was obviously a fake baby with CGI'd hand motions to try and make it look real. It ended up looking kind of bad. Don't know why that is one scene that sticks out in particular. Also, at one point, in the nursery, there is a baby doll laying plainly out in the open for everyone to see. Loved the movie. Just thought that was kind of weird... I thought it was a great movie though.

3. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Yes the fake babies made me laugh at extremely incorporate times. I am sure they could have found someone to lend their baby.

4. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Unfortunately, I can't edit my post. If a mod could do so, I'd be appreciative!

5. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

You would think with a budget of $60mil they could have hired a real baby.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gsXzymeF1LY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. rudan

rudan Member

I guess it's hard to find a baby in the actors guild that will do patriotic movies. Damn commie babies :mad:

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I watched it today. It seemed a little flat to me. It goes through his various tours in Iraq, depicts some of his kills and acts of heroism. In the end, its a simple story of a man who wants to protect his marines by "killing the bad guys," and that's what he does. It didn't probe very deeply into other potentially interesting aspects of the story (e.g. the perspective of the insurgents, his relationship with his brother, his PTSD after returning).

9. conquistador#11

Not sure if chris could do it in the times of hayha,zaytsev and richard harrow. seems like chris benefited from technology.

no, I really enjoyed the movie. Eastwood has been an amazing director for some time now. I read that there was too much propaganda in the film but I didn't see any of that. In fact, I thought he made the insurgent sniper a badass. did the insurgent sniper even exist or was he just added for some hollywood flavor?

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Mustafa was real but Kyle never had contact with him nor did the folks he was protecting. Tons of Hollywood in the movie. Chris admitted that most of reason for his kill total was just luck. He'd do a shift sometimes after another sniper who didn't get any kills and he'd all of a sudden get some right away.

That's why I didn't like the film's story very much. Kyle never thought he was anyhthing special. He just happened to get a lot of kills by chance and that make him special in the eyes of many. He was just a normal Texas guy. I don't know why Eastwood needed to ignore his faults like his fighting, drinking and slight racism. That's what Seals are, killing machines. They are trained to kill.

11. 713

713 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fLwAcU0bYl0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Two Sandwiches

I basically said the same thing to my wife after the movie.

It's a shame most won't read the book.

13. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

It's am opinion, dick.

14. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

This film was great! Minus the fake baby scene (which surprised the hell out of me and sucked you out of reality for a split second), the rest of the film was great. Totally showed the climate of our world today, and how things changed due to 9/11. Eastwood is a good Director, and Cooper is amazing.

8.5/10

15. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

16. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

It was alright. I tried to hold off all the negative things I heard about Kyle (his opinions on Muslims, minorities, etc.), and just take the movie for what it was. I enjoyed it and give it a 7/10. Wish they would have expanding on things like when he saw his brother on the tarmac during Tour 3, or more of the PTSD stuff.

17. Two Sandwiches

I don't remember reading about him seeing his brother in the book.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah because it never happened like 60% of the movie.

19. VanityHalfBlack

If this movie was done by someone else besides Clint Eastwood, I'd probably go see it in theaters. I haven't fully enjoyed a Clint Eastwood movie since Mystic River, damn that was decades ago.

20. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Well I'm one of those that didn't read it.