1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema] Clint Eastwood's 'American Sniper'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Oct 2, 2014.

1. dmoneybangbang

I bet you weren't disappointed by the book. I can't wait for this movie.

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Trailer looks good but I'm not much of an Eastwood fan. Didn't even bother with Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima was just average and forgettable.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I just can't give a **** about these movies. I guess my virtual testosterone isn't high enough.

4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I saw it at the AFI Festival in November (L.A)... It was the first showing ever of the film and Clint Eastwood came out.

Basically, it mixed reaction. I for one thought it was an alright film, which could have focused more on the PTSD. It had flaws in the script, and ad placements everywhere (i think they said the word Zales a few times, and I was like "what?").

Some people were disgusted with certain political aspects of the film such as the 'War in Iraq'...But if you can disregard it, then it can be somewhat enjoyable.

Most of my film friends thought it was atrocious, but I didn't agree with this sentiment.

Go see it. 2.5/4 stars. Would go more into detail, but you can review a film review on Rotten Tomatoes for a more opinionated reaction.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's not about Testosterone. It's about the mindset of being a professional sniper and the toll it takes on your emotional state. I totally disagreed with the war in Iraq, but guys like Chris Kyle are heroes.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This guy was amazing. Being a sniper is more than being a good shot. I can hit human size target at a 1000 yards away, but I doubt I could ever be a sniper.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IiVDtNjORbY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lol yeah this guy doesn't know what he's talking about...

Oscar nomination, record breaking first weekend...

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Like I said before after reading the book the movie was misdirected to me. It was hollywooded the **** out of. People should read the book.

10. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Yeah it's a total mixed bag, just because of big box office opening and oscar nom doesn't mean it's great. Cooper does an wonderful job and it has some riveting scenes but most of it is by the book cliche from a script standpoint and loses it's pacing off & on, I think it's completely worthy of a view for sure but it's far from perfect.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

That's a pretty good start.

The FTW guy thought it was the next weekend at Bernie's

12. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I can see why you'd assume he's a hero but the man created his own "legend." I appreciate his service but cannot trust a bit of his book. He wanted to be Rambo or Clint Eastwood and created the obvious lies about Jesse Ventura, carjacking Mexicans, Katrina looters and WMDs. His intolerance towards Muslims ("savages") and other minorities is evident from these useless stories.

The movie is relevant to veterans in regards to the PTSD and paranoia he experienced upon returning home. I wish more time would have been spent exposing some of the man behind "the legend" but Eastwood seems content to hint at the flaws.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I read the book two week ago.

Saw the movie yesterday. The book is better, but the movie is very good. Quietest I've ever heard a movie theater after a movie. By far.

14. Classic

Classic Member

Well, i didn't know anything about the guy or the story. I thought it was a great film.

I have a buddy at the gym who was a door knocker in Afghanistan for 3 tours. Geeejuz, felt like i was there

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He was one of the most lethal snipers in the Navy so that should kind of make you legend. He didn't make that up.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I feel like the movie should have been a lot better than it was. Everything felt shallow and a bit artificial. I think it would have been better done as a series on HBO where they could have 10 or 12 one hour segments rather than as a single movie. That way they could have developed characters better and spent more time showing what he was doing on deployment. Also, it would have given them more time to show the after war affects and developed that better.

In all, it was a decent if flawed film that I think people can enjoy so long as they don't over think it and realize that they are glossing over some of the bits that wouldn't make Kyle look like a good guy.

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I noticed that too. It helped that there was no music playing during the credits though.

18. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I wasn't blown away by this movie. It stayed true to what actually happened, but the end was very sudden, and dragged on for too long after they blew the climax. The climax seemed like it was just thrown into the mix, and it wasn't really riveting. It felt like a montage of breaking down doors before scaling a few flights of stairs so he could post up on the roof top and shoot some folks. If it had been left at that, it would've been an alright action flick, but they had to throw in the bits about PTSD, and the wife was just b****ing and moaning the whole time. Sort of sucks that they had to follow the real life account of what happened, because it left a lot of holes in the story, and didn't allow for the subplots that make a good movie. For example, his wife could've been more combative, and upset that he kept going back. The other bit is how the rushed into the situation in Iraq. They just end up doing a quick summary of the events leading up to it, showing 9/11, but we didn't actually invade Iraq until 2003, so they glazed over two years with a wedding montage! Felt like it could've been better. The theater was quiet at the end of the movie because people were shocked at the sudden ending. They didn't really know how it would end, and then it occurred abruptly before going into that really sentimental credit strip, so, while everybody wanted to talk about the movie, the credits prevented that.

19. SunsRocketsfan

that's what she said

ok i know it's old but sorry I couldn't help myself

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Should have used the spoiler tags on that, sayin'.