1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema Awards] 88th Academy Award Nominations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jan 14, 2016.

1. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Hmm what do these have in common....

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The Martian deserved the nomination for best picture. It seems you're trying to play the race card.

Concussion over The Martian? Can't be serious.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I thought the Martian was a good summer movie, nothing more, really surprised by any nominations it got

Movies like Beasts of No Nation were definitely snubbed

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I don't think any movie released like Beasts of No Nation was going to get a serious look. Maybe in a couple years as this type of release becomes more common, and even then I'd be surprised.

It barely had a theatrical release at all. Theater chains wouldn't even show it because it was able to be streamed simultaneously.

5. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

1. Show me this race card and tell me where it is sold. Unfortunately I'm a terrible card player and wouldn't know or remember the rules of this race card game you speak of.

2. I am serious. The Martian was a nice movie, that's all it was. Regardless, I mentioned a number of other movies.

6. ItsMyFault

1. Oh Ok.

2. I can at least understand the other 2, but snubs happen every year, this year is no different. Martian is at the very least in the same league as those movies. Creed and Ex-Machina were bigger snubs than Beasts of No Nation which as DCKid eluded to earlier was probably never going to get a serious look. Concussion was solid, but not best picture oscar worthy. That's just how I see it. At the end of the day, snubs happen with these things and this year is no different than any other year.

7. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

No way was BoNN getting a nom. And it had nothing to do with race. It was all about it's distribution. If it had a proper unveiling by a major studio then Idris is in.

FYI children never get nominated in the big two acting categories. Only 3 have in the 88yr history of the Awards. So forget it.

Jiggy Wit was never getting in for that garbage. Especially with his dubious accent.

Coogler certainly deserved a directing nod imho. At least over the guy who gave us such notable classics like Cobbler and Talledega Nights.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'll play it if he does not . . . . .

THE ONLY person to get a nomination for CREED . . . is the white guy
    THE ONLY person(s) to get nomination for Straight out of Compton . . . .the white guys

---

What is Oscar's infactuation with films that only about 43 people actually paid money to see?

Rocket River

9. ItsMyFault

The Oscars have never been about a popularity contest. If that were the case Star Wars would've been nominated too. All the best pic nominations I've seen are all fine and deserving IMO. Only one I haven't seen yet is Brooklyn. There's definitely been some snubs. Creed I thought would make it, but you can only have so many movies.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You want Fast and Forious to will an Oscar? Get the **** out of here. Spotlight, Big Short, Revenant are great movies that need to be recognized for its great acting, directing and writing.

I'm sure McDonalds sells billions in food but you sure as **** don't think it deserves a Michelin star do you?

11. ferrari77

Jeez so we're just gonna throw out bs assumptions about what I was getting at in my post? Funny that you and "ItsMyFault" are quick to mention race after my post. You know what I didn't do in my post? Mention race! If you notice, I also brought up Ex Machina and did so for a reason. I mentioned all movies that I thought deserved nominations for various categories.

I hear you about kids getting noms in the big 2 acting categories but it's not silly to believe the kid in Beasts of No Nation deserved one. The movie not getting a nod for anything is even more ridiculous than that.

What does Will's accent in concussion have to do with his acting and him being nominated or not? The only people who could take issue with his accent are Nigerians who realized that he wasn't doing a Nigerian accent. Otherwise most were fine with it.

Well at least we can end up in agreement about Coogler deserving a nom.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

+1 for the wife approval- my wife loved it. She also absolutely loved The Martian and she's also read the book. But I take that with a grain of salt as she doesn't like Seinfeld.

Mad Max: TEN Academy Award nominations:

Picture
    Director: George Miller
    Editing: Margaret Sixel
    Cinematography: John Seale
    Art Direction
    Costume Design: Jenny Beavan
    Makeup: Lesley Vanderwalt, Elka Wardega and Damian Martin
    Visual Effects
    Sound
    Sound Editing

13. ferrari77

You b*stard! What does Fast and Furious need to do in order to finally be rewarded with an Oscar? Every couple of years, we are blessed with a great F&F movie to consume and yet they keep getting snubbed because of people like you that ignore the magnificent writing and skilled acting of Vin Diesel, Ludacris and Michelle Rodriguez.

Shame.

14. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I'm shocked 'Beasts of No Nation' didn't get any noms.

15. i3artow i3aller

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/151826966" width="500" height="500" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <p><a href="https://vimeo.com/151826966">

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Saw The Martian and Mad Max Fury Road. LOVED both.
    I hope Mad Max and George Miller win best picture/director.

I haven't seen Spotlight yet but would like to. Have Sicario from Netflix. Looking forward to seeing that this weekend.

17. ths balla

ths balla Member

Spotlight is a must see, was into the movie from beginning to end, my favorite movie of the year

18. VanityHalfBlack

Mad Max, really? Where was the other nominations for countless if other action movies before it?

19. VanityHalfBlack

Steve Jobs should have gotten a nomination not mad Max. For best picture

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm usually a sucker for stranded type movies but "The Martian" didn't really do it for me. The film was well done. It just didn't hold my interest throughout and I found myself nodding off at times. It felt like Matt Damon was playing Matt Damon. He didn't sell me the way Tom Hanks did in "Castaway". I don't think it should be up for Best Picture. I did not finish that film and think Best Picture at all. "The Martian" was a few steps up from "Mission to Mars" imo. lol

1 person likes this.