1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cigars and Jazz Clubs in Houston (2 topics for the price of 1)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Band Geek Mobster, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Band Geek Mobster

Hello everyone,
    I fell in love while I was in Orlando. "With whom BGM???" you might ask...I reply "Not with whom, but with what!"

I love smoking cigars...not on a daily basis mind you, so I'd say I smoke about one cigar for every two weeks.

Another thing I picked up while in Orlando was the love of hanging out at Blues/Jazz clubs. There are few things as relaxing as sitting back in a dimly lit room with a cigar in one hand, a beverage in the other, and some smooth jazz being played on the stage. I'm addicted to it...

I know these clubs exist in Houston, but I have no clue which one's are the best. So now I turn to the bbs, please let me in on some of the better Jazz Clubs in the Greater Houston Area...

Jeff?????? :)

On another note, anyone else enjoy smoking cigars on this bbs?

If so, what do you smoke?

I love all Arturo Fuente cigars...

I go with Cuban Coronas (Maduro) normally, on special occasions, I go with the Hemingway Signature...

Jazz clubs and/or Cigars...

Thoughts???

2. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Sambuca is the club you want to hit my friend. Nice downtown Jazz club.

Arturo Fuente's if you don't mind my saying, are not that good. They aren't piss bad or anything, but I wouldn't smoke em. I smoke cigars almost daily and I if I am going cheap I would go for a 3-10 dollar mac'nudo but you gotta go with the cohibas or the romeo y julietas if you want to smoke some good cigars. You can get them at decent prices. Try the Montecristos.

3. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

Cigars and jazz? What the hell are they teaching kids at Disney now?? :)

I went through a period about six or seven years ago when I really enjoyed cigars. Dunhills were my favorites. Then one day I had an unfortunate meal at Ninfa's, too many ninfaritas and topped it off with a cigar. The scene that followed was one that I wish to never repeat. I've never been able to look at a cigar the same way since.

4. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Is it me, or did that post sound naughty?

5. ewfd

ewfd Member

The Big Easy is a good blues/jazz hole in the wall type joint

6. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

I'm not crazy about Sambuca. Hella expensive for the inconsistent level jazz there. Red Cat Jazz Cafe is much better (IMHO).

7. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I thought this thread would be a nice one to wish DBOSTEJANO a happy birthday. Who is DBOSTEJANO? I dunno but it is his birthday.

8. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

When I went to Sambuca I wasn't too impressed with it, and the music they were playing was nowhere near Jazz.

The only Jazz bar I ever went to in Houston was Cezanne's above the Black Lab. Very good music and atmosphere. The only bad part is a lot of times there is a cover charge and two drink minimum, but it's worth it.

9. Band Geek Mobster

Thank you all for the replies...

LeG,
    I've tried Montecristos and Macanudos and I didn't really care for them. My first cigar was a R&J, and it was horrible, mainly because it was my first. I finally found a cigar I enjoyed when I had a Short Story. I then started going with AF's and I just loved them. I did smoke a R&J for New Years and I really enjoyed that one as well, so I definitely agree with you on it being a quality cigar. AFs will always have that sentimental quality to them though.

Mrs. Jeff,
    Put 300 people, ages 18-23, in a small apartment style environment with no outsiders and the only responsibility being working 40-48 hours a week, and you'll find that cigar smoking and jazz clubs are just the tip of the iceberg.

Any other club suggestions?

Also Happy Birthday DBOSTEJANO...:rolleyes: :D

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I like to smoke a good cigar every once in a while as well, maybe a nice Cognac flavored from 7-11, those are the best.