1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chucky Brown

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mfclark, Feb 26, 2002.

1. mfclark

mfclark Member

Another season, another 10 day callup for Chucky Brown...this time, Sacramento. That's #12...only 17 to go!

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/1694900p-1775454c.html

Kings coach Rick Adelman and his injury-plagued roster soon will receive a little support, because the team is expected to sign 6-foot-8 veteran forward Chucky Brown in the next few days.

Brown, 33, is expected to meet with the Kings today after flying from his North Carolina home. He could sign a contract today, but the Kings first will have to place either Mateen Cleaves or Brent Price on the injured list to open a spot on the 12-man roster.

According to president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie, point guards Cleaves and Price are candidates because they have been slow to respond to treatment for their injuries. Cleaves has foot problems, and Price has a strained lower back.

Brown, the ultimate NBA survivor, will be joining his 12th team. And that includes two stints each with Cleveland, the club that originally drafted him out of North Carolina State in 1989, and Charlotte.

Brown was not playing in any of the minor leagues but has been working out at North Carolina State. And Kings scout Keith Drum has extensive sources in the Raleigh area.

2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Good for him! I met Chucky during the summer after the Rockets won their second championship. I was working at Camelot Music at Baybrook Mall. He came in looking for some music (don't remember what kind). Talked to him for a few minutes about the championship. From what I remember, he was very nice and soft spoken.

He had a Camelot Card too. I guess he was trying to earn FREE music. I guess the CBA didn't pay that well back in 94-95.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

He can show Chris Webber his ring.

4. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I miss Chucky. Wish we still had him. Good luck with the Kings!

5. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Thanks for the scoop --

CBFC

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

now.. that i know where chucky is. where is pete chilcutt:)

7. djteknokid

djteknokid Member

First basketball card i ever had... chucky brown.
    I was in Korea in yr 92... and my cousin from US brought whole bunch of basketball cards to show me. He gave me chucky brown rookie card.. and i didnt have concept of collecting basketball card when i was in korea. I will never forget chucky brown...

8. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I wonder how many games until he is starting in Webber's place?

9. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

"Who is Chucky Brown?"
    -Chris Webber

10. Hydra

Hydra Member

Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball. :confused:

11. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news/ap/20020226/ap-kings-brown.html

Cult hero?!?!? :eek:

CBrownFanClub, congrat on the national recognition. ;)

12. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

13. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't know ... "cult following" doesn't really hit our ears right here at the CBFC, but we'll take it I guess. AP reports are too much.

"At least one internet fan club" does sound funny, though, as if there might be more. Now that they mention it, I think the CBFC needs a rival Fan Club for Chucky, one that complains about the lack of updates on the CBFC website, the self-aggrandizing nature of the CBFC, the gimmickiness of all the NBA satire and cooking stuff. I do like the sound of a rival Fan Club quite a bit, actually, as implied by this small AP report. Anyone up for starting one? You can have our data. IT might inspire us to do better.

I am thinking some sort of mid-teenage, crappy looking site, maybe Geocities or something. Real bush-league looking, venomous and full of piss and vinegar. "New Chucky Brown Fan Collective" or something. "While we applaud the CBFC's taste in basketball players, we believe they are doing Chucky Brown a major disservice by..." or something like that. Ah, screw it, I'll do it myself and post the link this weekend. I may have to erase this post if I send out a press release from the second club, though.

Luckily, the Kings are playing out here in SF on Friday, so we should get some good CBFC work done over the weekend. We've made posters and whatnot. In fact, any Bay Area folks up for coming to the game with us on Friday and rooting for Chucky (its hish birthday, believe it or not), email me at CBFC@chuckybrownfanclub.com. Scarface, Swopa, whoever. No one annoying, though.

Anyone know the names of the broadcasters or station covering Sacramento games locally?

CBFC

14. BTM

BTM Member

He can show Webber the ring because Chris will never have his own.

Neither Jalen, C-Webb or Juwan will ever have a ring. They're cursed.

15. djteknokid

djteknokid Member

I thought it was charles barkley who said.. " who is chucky brown" during 94-95 playoff

16. Hydra

Hydra Member

Sacramento Kings games are broadcast locally on KMAX UPN 31 and on FOX Sports Bay Area. Can't remember the names of the broadcasters though.

17. mfclark

mfclark Member

Fans rejoice as Chucky Brown finds new home
    By GREG BEACHAM
    AP Sports Writer
    February 28, 2002

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- The Chucky Brown Fan Club is preparing for a night to remember.

The devoted, quixotic supporters of the NBA's most traveled player are hard at work in the San Francisco Bay area, buying tickets, calling friends, making signs -- and, of course, baking a big batch of Chucky Brownies.

Earlier this week, their hero signed a 10-day contract with the Sacramento Kings, joining his record 12th franchise during a 13-year career most notable for a championship ring and the pro sports record for impermanence.

But as fate would have it, the Kings will visit the Golden State Warriors on Friday night -- which also happens to be Brown's 34th birthday. For the fans of a player who has worn nearly half of the NBA's uniforms, the stars don't often align so splendidly.

``I know they'll be out there, having fun,'' Brown said. ``I can't wait to see them.''

Brown, a 6-foot-8 forward, has spent a career bouncing across the transaction wire, moving from city to city in a failed effort to find a permanent home. But Brown hasn't given up hope or lost his sense of humor about his unique experience in the game.

``I'm just glad to still be here,'' Brown said. ``I know a lot of guys weren't as lucky as me.''

And Brown isn't alone. His fan club, which is centered around a hilariously straight-faced Web site featuring everything from opinion columns to the recipe for Chucky Brownies, is orchestrated by Gerard Choucroun, a social worker, researcher and musician who lives in the Bay Area.

``We recognize basketball talent when we see it,'' he said. ``Chucky is very sound, hard-working and team-oriented. That's what we're a fan of, maybe even more than Chucky -- what Chucky represents.

Brown has been out of the league since playing 26 games for Golden State and Cleveland last season. He also has played for Houston -- where he was a member of the 1995 championship team -- the Los Angeles Lakers, New Jersey, Dallas, Phoenix, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Charlotte and San Antonio.

Memphis' Tony Massenburg has had 11 stints with 10 teams, while Brown has had 13 stints with 12 teams. In signing with Sacramento, Brown also tied Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Mike Morgan for appearances with the most teams in any major professional American sport -- not that he's keeping track of such things.

``It's cool, and I'll take it,'' Brown said. ``I'm still having fun, so that's the important thing.''

So is the CBFC, as members know the club. It unofficially began in Houston in 1995, when Brown arrived with the Rockets as a midseason acquisition. The fans don't think it was any coincidence that Houston subsequently began its transformation from a struggling contender to a two-time NBA champion.

``Chucky's influence was very palpable,'' Choucroun said. ``It wasn't like being a member of the Chucky Brown Fan Club was anything rare in Houston. The whole city was the fan club.''

As Brown wound his way through the NBA with a series of signings, trades and releases, the fans followed his every move. As the Website says, they had ``come to the undisputable conclusion that Chucky Brown is the finest basketball player ever to play the sport.''

Much of the fan club is now based in Northern California, though it boasts membership throughout the nation. The group was overjoyed when Golden State signed Brown last season -- but crushed when the Warriors let him go.

``For us, it was nice when Chucky was with the Warriors, but I'm sure it wasn't great for him,'' Choucroun said. ``He deserves better than those guys. Sacramento is a great place for him.''

After Cleveland didn't invite him back this season, Brown returned to his North Carolina home and stayed in shape with workouts and pickup games. He waited for the annual calls from NBA teams, but when none had inquired by mid-February, he began to consider playing in Italy -- until the Kings called with their offer.

``I got the call at 3 p.m., and they asked if I could make a flight at 6,'' Brown recalled of Monday's conversation. ``I said, 'I'm making that flight.'''

Brown missed a connecting flight and didn't get to Sacramento until Tuesday, but he still debuted with the Kings in their blowout victory over Utah. Wearing a black headband, Brown got two rebounds and scored one basket in five minutes of garbage time, much to the delight of a cheering Arco Arena crowd.

``That ovation made me feel great,'' Brown said. ``I couldn't believe they knew who I was. It shows they know a lot about basketball if they remember my name.''

On the Net: http://www.chuckybrownfanclub.com

18. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

I love Chucky B. Its also amazing he has lasted longer than the other heralded State stars. Charles Shackleford never panned out with his patented left-handed hook shot. Corchiani who at one time was the NCAA all-time assist leader is off somewhere. Rodney Monroe I think is playing somewhere in a semi-pro league. Then there Vinny, I think he is still around.

Chucky is just one of those guys you hope good things happens to.

19. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member