1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by devin23, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

Hayes stays. Dorsey hasn't proven anything yet. Dorsey will be behind Hayes unless he plays C which he could be 3rd string. For all his shortcomings, Hayes does so many other things well. I can't count the amount of times Hayes as given us an extra possession with his magic on the offensive glass. He's also one of the best post defenders in the league. The guy is a tree stump down low. Until Dorsey shows that he can do what Chuck does at the NBA level the Chuck wagon stays.

2. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Dorsey is more like a project than Green you mean! Chuck has that reputable stopper of anny big man in the league while Dorsey has not prove himself yet.

3. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

You know wat they say if it aint broke dont fix it

4. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

Someone should make a Chuck Hayes appreciation thread to oppose this thread. :D

Not only Chuck is excellent defender and rebounder, he is also a very smart player who is very efficient whenever he is on the floor.
    So far, I only see Dorsey talk the talk, and I am going to wait and see how long it will take for him to walk the walk. Only then I am going to consider trading Chuck.

5. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Hayes has one of the best attitudes in the league. He's a workhorse with excellent basketball IQ. I am not even close to ready to say the same about Dorsey. Talent aside, I don't think you can underestimate the importance of discipline and coachability. I bet the Celtics would be more than willing to grab Hayes if he became available.

As far as difference in height...

Pre Draft Measurements

Chuck Hayes:
    Height w/o Shoes: 6' 5.5"
    Wingspan: 6' 10"
    Standing Reach: 8' 8.5"

Joey Dorsey:
    Height w/o Shoes: 6' 6.25"
    Wingspan: 7' 1.75"
    Standing Reach: 8' 11"

So, height difference is minimal while Dorsey has a legitimate advantage in the more significant measurements, wingspan and standing reach.

6. carib

carib Member

I agree that Hayes will not see alot of playing time with Scola and Landry ahead of him. Dorsey on the other hand is an umproven rookie, we hope that he is a good defender and rebounder but until we are certain of that, Hayes should remain with the Rockets in case we loose one of our bigs to injury.

7. carib

carib Member

* unproven

8. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

one start for this thread.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

He has huge situational value. Remember how Adelman praised his work on the Paul penetrations and how he was in exactly the right space to take away the shot and the oop?

Hayes stays.

10. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

think of how good our second team will be on the many blow out games the loaded rox will have. Chuck will fit in nicely there.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

To be honest I think Joey was brought it as a replacement for Chuck. He has his uses but his blown layups are just awfull. If Chuck had Joeys athleticism and could dunk all those missed layups, he would be ideal.

We'll see how it plays out. In my mind I just think the Rockets got Dorsey to see if he could develop into an upgraded Chuck Hayes. If Dorsey turns out to be an elite defender, I don't see Chuck sticking around, it would just be redundant.

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

There is next to nil chance Dorsey will be a better 4 than Hayes anytime soon. Dorsey might very well be a better back up 5. It is Artest and Landry who may well take all Hayes's minutes. But it is nice to have him until those two prove them are long term fixtures.

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I love Dorsey. I watched a bunch of his games at Memphis and the man will be a stud for us. He's going to be a better player than Chuck eventually, but he's got a lot to learn about NBA defense so I don't think we'll be getting rid of Chuck just yet.

14. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Look, I admire Chuck and I know we can still use him. But with Scolandry, and Battier/Artest at the forwards, Chuck Hayes is the least valuable out of those 4. And if we needed to save some money, I would think he be the one to go. Honestly, how much do you think we'll use him anyways??

15. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

chuck is one of the premier post defenders in the L

16. LinchgSUn

LinchgSUn Member

Look Chuck's deffence and his reboards,I think almost everyone likes his to stay,except Houston's enemy

17. joesr

joesr Member

this thread is an epic failure.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Chuck isn't going anywhere unless Dorsey shows he can contribute this season, which I doubt very much. Even if Dorsey moves ahead of him, Chuck will still be on the roster.

19. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

"Any worse off"? Dorsey is 6'6" too. And 1/4 of an inch. Well, he was drafted. So does that make him instantly better than somebody who was undrafted? Was Fredrick Weis (15th pick) better than Cuttino (undrafted)? Chuck is proven, and he's effective. Don't just write him off yet.

20. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

As ugly as Chuck's free throw are and his lack of shooting abilities are, Chuck has commanded much respect out of the league for his defensive skills and his hustle.

Scola is ahead of Chuck, but Landry could be on a bum knee and who is Dorsey?
    What has Dorsey done? Can he stand toe to toe with Boozer?
    Nobody knows! We haven't even seen more than 5 minutes from him on the court yet. The only thing I personally know of him is that he lost a scrimmage game for us, by leaving the bench and acting like a fool. This is what camp is for. To see who stays and who go's.

To think that Dorsey will come to camp and take Chucks job away is just plain stupid and naive. I can see Dorsey on the team but not as a Chuck replacement.