1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Storm Surge, Mar 16, 2007.

Tags:
  1. hooroo

hooroo Member

175%, ie Early Bird exception. Rockets don't have the salary space to offer him a MLE or near-MLE deal barring any trades. As you said he's best used as an ebergy player off the bench. There's no point over-paying him when the Rockets still need a starting calibre PF.

2. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I think there has actually been marked improvement in rebounding and finishing around the basket. He is working hard to get better, it is almost unfair to say that he is just operating off of Yao's double teams. While that helps him tremedously, he is doing an outstanding job of going to the hole and getting in a postition so Mcgrady can find him. On top of that he is getting his own offense once or twice a game which is gravy. Even though this looks to be his ceiling, and I doubt he improves much more than this, he is looking good.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Not true. Put Chuck Hayes on the Mavs and I guarantee you he cleans up. Hayes and Howard would make the Mavs killer defensively. The Mavs could then play Hayes defensively on the strongest forward and leave Dirk playing the McGrady role taking the least potent defensive forward. Hayes would clean up there.

Put Hayes on the Suns and he is a solid rotation player getting about 20-25 minutes per game.

Put Hayes on the Pistons and he is going to be in the rotation. He would definitely be in the rotation with Timmy and the Spurs and would make them killers with Bowen, Manu, and Parker. I would bet almost anything that Hayes would wind up starting for them and playing off Duncan the same way he plays off Yao.

Hayes would be chief garbage man for the Lakers. He may not start with Luke Walton and Lamar Odom up front but he would get his minutes subbing and would get plenty of boards and points playing alongside Kobe and Lamar/Walton.

There is a whole bunch of teams in the league that Hayes could play for and make better. Now, he wouldn't make the bad teams better probably and his game would probably suffer playing on a bad team. 90% of the players in this league would probably look bad playing on a bad team. Take Josh Howard and put him on the Atlanta Hawks or Celtics and he looks bad along with the rest of the team. So, Hayes isn't any different than Josh Howard or Shane Battier, or most other players in this league. Take most every complimentary player on any team that is above .500 and put them on the roster of a team that is not a playoff team and they will look very pedestrian. You can even take a lot of star players in this league and if they are on a bad team, they will not look as good as they really are.

4. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Early Bird is 175% raise or up to the mid-level amount, whichever is higher.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#19

And for what Chuck brings to the table, even with his limitations, I'd say he's worth in the neighborhood of $3 million a season. Maybe go for 3 years 10 million with a 4th year option.

Or the Rox could lowball him a bit with 3 years 8 million based off the absence of state taxes in Texas, and his Chinese shoe contract which would undoubtedly evaporate if he left the Rockets. But I'd say 3 million give or take would be the right price for Chuck.

5. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Personally this one is my favorite.

[​IMG]

Looks like he's trying to scare the basket into growing bigger during a free throw attempt.

6. ikfit

ikfit Member

I remember, before Chuck become who he is right now, we fans have been talked many things like this but JVG refuse to use him that time.

Then I think Vspan, hope Jvg can someday find his value to our team and fit him in.

So I think our fans do see some factors and know BBball and what is good to Rockets.

7. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

That's the same thing you will say about V-span and Novak next year, and that JVG is giving our sophmores too many minutes, and that he should be developing whoever we draft that year.

8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

I would pay him what Rafer gets. Which is ~4 mil a year, slightly less.

9. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I'm probably late on this, but in addition to his new nickname, The Chuck Magnet, this is obviously his new theme song:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3SUtW3rOkz4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3SUtW3rOkz4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

10. JEREMYMEEGAN

JEREMYMEEGAN Member

Chuck Hayes is a big part of the Rox roster. He sets picks, gets rebounds, plays good defense, takes charges, and just hustles