1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Storm Surge, Mar 16, 2007.

Tags:
  1. MightySparrow

MightySparrow Member

his hustle on defense and Juwan's juvenescence on mid-range shots make it worthless to discuss trades on PF. they are really good, as long as T-mac keeps dishing.

2. WeBelieve

WeBelieve Member

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

When he's playing with Yao and McGrady, I think his value to the team has been comparable to OT's in the first championship year. Obviously, he's a different type of player. You're not going to call post ups for him, or run plays for him to shoot a baseline jumper. He can't defend 7-footers in the post like OT could. But he's a great screen setter, he'll force a bunch of turnovers with his hustle, and he's better at defending face up players away from the basket (which is much more a neccessity in today's league). He's just as active, if not more so, as OT on the offensive boards. And he (along with Shane) does a great job protecting Yao defensively.

Another thing. In the last 7 games with Yao back, Chuck has 14 steals and numerous drawn charges. But only 2 turnovers. That's an amazing ratio.

#43 durvasa, Mar 17, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  4. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

he's been playing great. hopefully he can keep it up and stay out of foul trouble

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Speaking of Barkley,

I'd really like to see Hayes put on a few pounds. I think he could carry some more weight without losing his quicks. Barkley obviously had more length and could do almost anything offensively. He is one of the top 50 all time. Still, Barkley is not even in the same league with Hayes defensively. Barkley on his best day could not do what Hayes does defensively. And if Hayes would put on a few pounds and get just a little respect from the referees, I think he gets double digit boards in 30 minutes easily.

Like I said, I think Hayes is still going to get better. I'd like to see if he'd take 5 years $15 million but I bet he doesn't. I bet he takes the best short term contract he can get that will give him as many minutes as he can get, that will let him increase his value even more next season. I think next season he is a double digit rebounder and shoots about 60% from the field, 10 points, 10 rebounds, and great defense should boost his value up to close to MLE level. Sure hope we can retain him. He is a great rotation player.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You would give Chuck a 5 year contract? I don't think anyone in the NBA would give him a 5 year contract. More like 2 years plus a team option. Let's be reasonable.

7. Northside Moss

I love Chuck, but for the love of God, someone work on his foul shooting, so I don't have to watch that all-arms stroke.

8. durvasa

Daryl Morey just might (depending on how the rest of his season goes). His "moneyball" stats look much better than his conventional numbers.

9. Rockets Dynasty

Yeah but come on now, moneyball is AKA cheapball.

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

who taught him how to shoot like that?

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I would give him 5 years, $18 million and never blink an eye. But I seriously doubt his agent would let him do it.

12. Rockets Dynasty

His market value right now is about max at a 3 year deal.

You don't give a guy more than his market value.

I figured most fans still remembered Moochie Norris, Kelvin Cato, and Mo Taylor but I guess not.

13. durvasa

True. But I think Morey would value Chuck more than most other teams. You probably know more about the market value of players than I do, however. That's not something I follow very closely.

14. stangend77

stangend77 Member

diamond in the rough? i think so ;)

15. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

Chuck's situation is totally different from the guys you mentioned.
    Those guys you mentioned got big money for how they played BEFORE . Chuck has proven his value to this organization.

16. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I can't believe some of this. Hey, I respect Chuck Hayes for his hustle almost as much as the next fan. However, he is a career backup -- a stopgap measure at PF for this season only. As soon as we can we must find a PF with size, shooting ability and, hopefully, with the same kind of rebounding grit that Hayes exhibits despite his diminutive stature.

BTW, IMO we could keep Hayes for as long as we want for $1M per year.

17. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

You know, I think that Truck shot his 'throws pretty well in college. That's probably why he hasn't changed his form. It's pretty hilarious seeing the lane violations...good for a laugh every game.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Seriously then, how much do you think Chuck is worth in the open market? You do realize he is one of the most unskilled & undersized starting players in the NBA? The idea of Chuck getting $18MM/5yrs is a complete joke to me, but I'm curious what you think he will get.

19. gunnet

gunnet Member

yao back so chuck get chance
    very simple

20. foo82

foo82 Member

So somehow you classify being a great rebound and great defender at the 4 while being significantly undersized as unskilled? Untalented, maybe, but unskilled, hardly.