1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes not signing with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Aug 27, 2015.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sad news about not being able to sign Chuck Hayes. There's nothing else that I can say.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why would you think Hayes would think that?

3. basketballholic

Don't be surprised if Morey trades for 1 or 2 contracts tomorrow using TPE's.

4. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Is there any incentive for teams to help us out by giving us non-guaranteed contracts in exchange for TPEs?

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What's to question ?! The Rockets are already well over the cap and into the luxury tax ..... Les is spending NOW.

The decision to not sign Hayes is about how they are handcuffed by the CBA in regard to locking up Harrell long term rather than just one season and dealing with him as a free agent. The KJ situation all over again .... which cost them the non-taxpayer MLE instead of what amounts to a vet minimum deal for the next four years.

6. basketballholic

To get rid of a salary they don't want. For example Cartier Martin. Pistons have too many contracts and don't want him.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So have you seen every possession he's played since he left?

[​IMG]

There is no one on this roster who can guard Griffin or LMA better than Chuck Hayes. Remember, Josh Smith is no longer around and he was a big part in changing the momentum in the LAC series. That doesn't even begin to touch on his off-court value. I'd easily take Chuck over Terry if forced to choose, but there's no reason why we couldn't have both if serious about winning a title this year. This is not a win now move, plain and simple.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I've thought the same thing but wonder what they could get with those exceptions as they are relatively small:

1) $816,482 - Canaan
    2) $816,482 - Troy Daniels
    3) $1,619,095 - Shved

There might be 25 players league wide who fit the two $816k exceptions ... and they don't move the needle.
    There's quite a few more that fit within the Shved TPE but if they are able to contribute at that salary they are a real value and would require a substantial asset to get.

Also , as for salary cutting moves , I just don't know who I'd consider giving up to get that done.

Wouldnt move Howard , Harden , Ariza , DMo , Lawson , Capela

I might consider moving Jones assuming I was getting a better player in return .... but that would likely come at a high cost and he doesn't really shed much salary.

Might consider trading Brewer but I'd have to know that KJ was capable of replacing him first.

Dekker ? Sure I'd move him if the right deal came along. But again , not much cap relief.

KJ - I didn't just tie myself in knots to keep him to sell low.

PatBev ?! Nope , not likely with Lawson's future up in the air and only Terry otherwise at the most loaded position in the league ....

Thornton or Terry ? For what , they are getting the minimum.

Harrell ? Hmmm sure for the right player who fits into the Shved TPE .... but there are few players who fit that I'd consider in return - probably half a dozen league wide as I'd insist upon getting back a guy who can play the PF spot for depth purposes.

What would your cost cutting moves be ?!

9. basketballholic

You can add $100,000 to those trade exceptions fur incoming salary. However it appears the idea of acquiring a player (s) to add salary to an existing player for a trade prior to the start of the season is down the drain.

The next thing to watch for is any extension talks take place with Terrence and if a trade takes place involving him. He's the most obvious trade candidate.

#229 basketballholic, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  10. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Clippers are signing veteran forward-center Chuck Hayes to a one-year deal, a source told Yahoo Sports.</p>&mdash; Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) <a href="https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/638465392814391296">August 31, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Man **** that team :mad::mad::mad:

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

lol ballmer not afraid to go all in

13. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Really Chuck... :mad:

14. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

OK now LAC are just trolling us.

15. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Thats some bull****.

16. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Oh man I can't stand the clippers sigh

17. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Lakers are still the most relevant team in LA.

18. txn

txn Member

Is this a joke??? Damn, it really proves one thing, Jeremy Lin sucks...because even a troller like Clippers didn't want him....:grin:

19. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes, Josh Smith, Pablo Prigioni...

They are basically the Rockets West

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Happy for Chuck to sign with a contender. I hate the Clips, but I wish Hayes all the best.