1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes, No6 of 15, Busting Loose out West

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justinh, Oct 11, 2006.

1. justinh

justinh Member

I didnt see this on here yet. I dont post buch either, but thought this was interesting:

From Kelly Dwyer, si.com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mu.../gallery.nba.bustingloose.west/content.6.html

"Already one of the league's best per-minute rebounders, Hayes worked on his upper-body strength during the summer and seems ready to start alongside Yao Ming in the Houston frontcourt. Though undersized, the 6-6 Hayes averaged 4.5 rebounds in 13.4 minutes per game last year while collecting nearly 20 percent of all available rebounds while he was on the court."

2. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

If Hayes can learn to shoot FTs and not hurt the team in tight games and develop a fair mid-range shot that will allow him to score 10 points a game, he'll be a great starter for the Rox. Don't see him starting until he develops some offensive skills no matter how good his rebounding is.

3. famicom

famicom Member

Did Dennis Rodman have an offensive game? I remember he used to always miss free throws but he became a starter...now if Hayes can develop his knack for rebounds and defense then he can start taking some starter minutes

4. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I had faith in this article until I saw who was number 13.

5. rockingsoul

rockingsoul Contributing Member

only 6'6? damn!

6. opticon

opticon Member

I loved what i saw from chuck last night. He plays with so much energy. I think he can be just as if not more effective then danny fortson at the back up center spot.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

That's a great photo shot of the classic box out that a lot of players have forgotten.

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

No. But Rodman played in an era of "Illegal Defense". Someone had to guard him or at least be on the same side of half court as Rodman was on. Big difference.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah, but Hayes has shown that when his defender ignores him he knows how to take advantage. He's not a skilled scorer, obviously, but he has an above average IQ and knows how to move without the ball and position himself for offensive rebounds. If he's paired with strong offensive players like McGrady and Yao ... guys who demand multiple defensive player's attention ... I think he'll do just fine. That's one of the reasons why I believe he'd perform better paired with those players than Juwan Howard.

I'll also add, for whatever it's worth:

Code:
                        min   Rockets/48m   Opp/48m
    Yao/Tracy/Howard    571   93.9 (97.9)   92.1 (93.9)
    Yao/Tracy/Hayes     32    99.0 (102.8)  92.9 (96.4)   

In parenthesis under Rockets/48m is the points given up by the opposing lineups faced over the entire season. And in parenthesis under Opp/48m is the points scored by the opposing lineups over the entire season.

I know, ridiculously low sample size there for Yao/Tracy/Hayes. My only point here is that there's no evidence that the Rockets offensive would suck any more with Hayes in there alongside our stars instead of Howard. And we know the defense should be better.

10. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Learn how to shoot Chuck & you will get all the playing time you can handel!

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I love scrappy players like Chuck Hayes. This team definitely needs someone who can come in, play strong D, pick up the rebounds, and not worry about scoring unless he is 2 feet from the basket.

Reminds me of the legend Larry Smith.

12. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

McCants is on the list? I thought he was out for the season.

Nice to see Hayes promoted on a site that more NBA fans can find out who the guy is. I'm sure even a lot of the above-average NBA fans don't even know who Hayes is. But starting next to Yao? I don't think so.

13. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

if he starts with Yao.. chinese fans will vote him for all-star

14. Yao Da 7'6

Yao Da 7'6 New Member

Cool Pic

Thanks for the arrticle

15. Danbury

Danbury Member

Kwame Brown...Tyson Chandler...I put no stock in this list. But you gotta love Chucks game.

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

lol better yet, check out number number 3.

17. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

The one thing that really struck me about Hayes even going back to last season is the fact that he is a fundamentally sound defender and rebounder. His problem last season was that he was overly aggressive in a league 'gone soft', so he was hit with a lot of fouls; of course, he got no respect from the refs either, we all know how that works in the NBA.

Suffice it to say that I am really, really big on Hayes and I honestly believe that he will be a key player in the rotation and might even get preference over Howard from time to time. Y'all saw the kind of defense he played last night with that unit that was on the court (Battier, Snyder, Hayes, T-Mac, and Rafer), the defense was absolutely 'suffocating'. At times, he was able to cover two men without losing a beat, using his lateral quickness and quick feet to close out the interior.

The guy has a nose for the ball, he knows how to get the rebound and -- more importantly -- how to secure it.

I think we got ourselves a 'diamond in the rough' here, and it cost us nearly nothing to do so. He's a deligent worker -- real humble guy, btw, from personal experience -- and will only improve.

I see him playing some major minutes at the backup center spot this season.

Consider me a member of the 'Chuck Hayes Fan Club'...

18. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

well, if barkley can do it....And charles was way more out of shape. he was like shaq who never has really maintained his shape, he always gets fat again. Hayes could prove to be an important part of this team...the feel good story of the year for the rockets???

19. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I bet 5 of these guys will actually "bust loose"...stro is long overdue, will he ever learn?

20. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Chuck Hayes has great ass for a PF. That thing is big, strong, low the the ground. Perfect for boxing out. Stromile Swift, on the other hand, has little to no ass, and is thus a underwhelming rebounder.

Chuck's ass will serve him well the rest of his career.