1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes Free Throw Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Angkor Wat, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

LOL Angkor Wat I don't know that anyone can truly appreciate it, but lord its a nightmare to watch.

Poor Chuck. At this point.. I would say its 90% psychological. He looked like someone killed his cat when he had to go up to the line.

I don't know what to tell them to do with them at this point.. he needs to do some visualizations or meditation or something lol

Surely someone can help him do better. I don't know what they "told" him to do during the summer practicing, but they need to try another approach.

Whoever asked about him having it in college.. yes he did... but it wasn't that bad until his senior year. Junior year he started it a bit, but he was still able to make them at a pretty good clip, even with the hitch.

It's just gotten progressively worse since then, and honestly, I think its because he is thinking too much when he's doing it. Probably in practice the hitch isn't as pronounced and it goes in. But when he has to do it in front of the crowd when he knows they are just waiting to laugh at him he tightens up even more.

I did think the Inside the NBA thing was hilarious.. them showing chuck ft's then Barkley's golf swing. Very funny stuff.

2. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I remember the shot, but don't have a clue what game it was. It was hilarious! He looked like a jackrabbit leaping into air. :D
    Somebody find it!

3. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Wow, I like Chuck and all. But man he's gotta work harder on his free throws, change his form, do something. He can't just leave it like that, it's not good for the team.

4. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Chuck Hayes FT is one of the wierdest I have ever seen in pro basketball.

Chuck Hayes moves his left leg one step forward, then pauses at the top before Hayes shoots the ball. WTH!

It makes me think:
    - Hayes's left leg is shorter than his right leg;
    - Hayes has limbs coordination problems;
    - Hayes should line up his feet (instead of his left leg behind his right leg) and try to bend his knees and rise up smoothly to shoot the ball.

5. Cook1ez

Cook1ez Member

You make a good point...but I just hate it when we miss free throws...
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Rockets:p

6. kikimama

kikimama Member

He's working on other aspects of the game so much, he has no time for FT practice. He doesn't get to the line too often anyhow... That's not his style drawing fouls on offense, just on defense.
    I wasn't old enough but did rodman have good form?

7. johnrox

johnrox Member

wasn't terrible, just looked like he didn't care when he shot them up

8. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

This is just me, but I like it when Chuck goes to the free throw line. I dunno why.

Chuck definitely has worked on his form, especially over the past summer. Thats why there's a difference in his form in comparison to last year, if you guys noticed. I don't think it can ever be fixed.

At least Chuck gives us more important things when he plays, rebounding, dfense, hustle, energy, and WINS. Stop hating on the guy.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It wasn't bad .. he tended to step over the line a lot as well, actually. But not reflexively, as with Chuck. And at least post-Detroit, he always had this nonchalant look on his face like he didn't care if it went in or not.

10. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

That foul shot is definitely something out of Star Trek... :cool:

11. modays

modays New Member

"Does this guy really play basketball?":D

12. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

anyone who has a problem with chuck hayes' free throws should go to hell

:D

13. luisantonio1014

He doesn't have to worry about free throws! He does the dirty work. He hustles and is one of the best defenders in the league.

We talkin' bout free throws!... Free Throws!

we ain't talking bout the game, not the game... We talkin' bout free throws!

14. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

You are an idiot. All of your posts are negative and have no basis or fact behind them. You put your stupid * * marks on the wrong word all the time. By the way, last I checked, Hayes is a starter in the NBA and two straight Rockets coaches, both of whom have had major NBA success think so.

Secondly, how can someone who has shot 9 free throws this year, truly hurt the team with his free throw shooting. Thats like saying Yao's three point shooting is really hurting the team since he hasnt made one yet this year.

Third, how many times this year has a team resorted to "Hack a Chuck" defense at the end of games. Yes his shot is ugly, but his free throw shooting is not why he is in the games. His ability to guard the big man down low and then switch out to a guard is extremely valuable to this team.

Look at Ben Wallace. His free throw shooting is historically worse then Chuck's is. Yet he starts for Chicago and is a horrible offensive player. His 20 rebound games are long gone as is his ability to dominate a game defensively. Yet, he makes over 7 times what Chuck makes. Criticize all you want, but remember Hayes makes about 2 million a year and in NBA standards he is well worth his contract.

15. foo82

foo82 Member

How often does he have the ball in his hand then? In order to hack-a-chuck, you have to foul him when he has the ball in his hands.

16. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Omg....hahaha. I can't stop laughing.

17. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I don't think he should dribble or bend his knees. just toss it up. It'll look alot better.

18. johnrox

johnrox Member

for me, clyde's reaction for those two FTs were just, let's say classic

god.... chuck we need to talk

oh... my goodness, he actually falls backwards

i'd hate to see what calvin would have said after seeing those two fts

19. johnrox

johnrox Member

he already does fall backwards, oh my...

20. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Thank you SO MUCH for this thread. <3
    I was going to create it if no one else did. Chuck Hayes' free throws are just the freakin' BEST. SO PAINFUL to watch. He's like Shaq with a peg leg. Like Shawn Marion with no elbows. SCRUMTRULESCENT.