1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Prince, Nov 14, 2010.

1. DJ

DJ Member

I am not saying his defense is great mainly because of shortness. I am saying that 5 inches of height would not neccessarily make him a better defensive player. I mean there is some tradeoff with height/length vs smarts/quickness/savvy but the tradeoff wouldn't make him the monster that everyone envisions. At 6'11" he would probably average more block shots, but his ability to handle the pick and rolls and ability to strip the ball away would be lessened. Also, his rebounding is good because of his quickness, ability to box out and just having a nose for the ball. I also think his ball-handling would not be as good and hence his occassional drives would be more difficult. Chuck's ability to suceed on the ball court is not due to his smallness; nor is his smallness a disadvantage that prevents him from playing well. Rather, Chuck uses the physical tools - low center of gravity, quickness, and a strong lower body - that he has to his advantage.

2. BZ-B

BZ-B Member

I freaking love Chuck Hayes (no homo)...his offense has drastically improved as well.

3. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

+ his free throws ;)

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2H62KgAN8PM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Never saw it before, but its pretty funny :)

5. mig0s

mig0s Member

Chuck was +23 forced 5 Amara TO's. AMAZING!

6. Roxs-Redemption

7. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I have him, Battier and Scola on my fantasy team.

And since Yao went down, he has probably been the best (and most consistent) of the three!

Oh and I'm #1 in my conference. Sooo keep it up Chuck!

8. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes - The Cooler!

[​IMG]

Pugs

9. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

chuck hayes the Center/PF Stopper

10. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

Wow. Amare can't jump out of the building and doesn't rebound? First of all, who the hell are you even talking about that plays Center/PF and is jumping over everybody and outrebounding the league? Dwight Howard? Yeah, "he is great against guys with low post games" which is 99% of the league at that position. The other supposed teams that have guys that "jump through the moon and play the glass" are trash anyway.

Boston. We've seen what he does against Kevin Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal, Shaq, and Glenn Davis.

Miami. We have seen what he does against Bosh. Rockets lose by 6 points to one of the odds on favorites to win it all. Bosh had 4 rebounds.

San Antonio. Do we even need to talk about how Hayes has handled Duncan in the past?

Chicago. The Rockets wouldn't have even been in that series against Utah 4 years ago without the work Chuck did on Boozer.

Los Angelos. Again, see the 7-Game series WITHOUT Yao Ming. Gasol and Bynum don't play well again Chuck Hayes.

You proved with this post that you don't know jack about basketball, but you continue to post and take shots at Chuck Hayes whenever you get the chance. Every time The Rockets win and Chuck does well you come in here with same lame bs about "Yeah he fit the situation this time." You can have guys like Jordan Hill that need 6 years to develop into a good role player. If Morey is really a good GM, he would put together something with Hill, Patterson, and Yao Ming's contract to get a proven scorer.

11. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

You are an idiot.

12. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

You are also an idiot.

13. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

Yeah, he didn't do a number on Garnett, Shaq, Gasol, or Bynum in the past. Please think before you post so you won't sound ignorant.

14. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

great job last night chuck!! we all really do appreciate the hustle you put into every game, especially last night.

it's crazy, i was talking to my brother a couple days ago about my hayes jersey. I bought it originally sort've as a spoof being as I already had T-Mac and Battier jerseys (only wear them during gametime, this isn't the 90's.) Never the less though, I find myself feelin' pretty "gansta" when I be sportin' my chuckwagon jersey lately. :cool:

15. kovacs242

kovacs242 Member

You are an idiot.

16. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

Anyone make Chuck Hayes Highlights like they did for the last game in New York? I want to see Hayes Rookifying Stoudemire

17. akiracy

akiracy Member

18. amaru

amaru Member

When I grow up I want to play defense like Chuck Hayes :)

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Chuck Hayes has quickly risen to one of my all time favorite sports figures ever.

While I appreciate all of the star power Houston sports have given us over time, it's the guys that go out and just do what their job is, don't care about the hype, they just produce the best they can are the guys I really appreciate. It's easy to overlook the guys that do the dirty work, for the better of the team. I myself don't overlook them.

I liken Chuck to a player who was my favorite during his short stint as an Astro, Bill Spiers.

Spiers never knew where he was going to play, he played several positions, whatever the team needed. BS wasn't the most talented guy but he did his job and he did it well. Pros pro and a total team guy.

Chuck Hayes is now my Billy Spiers, and damn do I appreciate him. The league needs more guys with the heart of Chuck Hayes.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

First time I can remember the Associated Press game recap making Chuck's defense the central story:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=310126010

[rquoter]
    HOUSTON -- Like most NBA fans, Chuck Hayes marvels at some of the acrobatic dunks he's seen Blake Griffin pull off this season.

Houston's best low-post defender was determined to keep Griffin from adding another one on Wednesday night.

Hayes stifled the Clippers' rookie star and Kyle Lowry scored 20 points in the Rockets' 96-83 win over Los Angeles.

Griffin had 14 points and 11 rebounds. But he went 5-for-16 from the field and coughed up three turnovers with Hayes smothering him all night.

"I'm a fan of what he's doing," said Hayes, who also had 11 boards. "From a fan standpoint, I'm entertained, just like everybody else. As a competitor, I'm telling myself, 'He's not doing that on me.'"
    [/rquoter]

He's starting to get more recognition, and Adelman is talking about campaigning for him also. Maybe Chuck actually has a shot at making an All-Defense team this year? That would be awesome.