1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Prince, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Happii

Happii Member

You took the words right out of my mouth :grin:

2. gah

gah Member

Nothing needs to be said about his real value, what a performance!.

The Chuckwagon just earned his pay raise tonight!

3. amaru

amaru Member

I want to play defense like Chuck Hayes when I grow up :)

4. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Love Chuck Hayes. I hope he finshes his career in Houston.

5. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

He needs to be on the NBA All-Defensive Team.

6. devilsdandruff

Anta Peak LiNing w.e. better help us out.

7. htown11

htown11 Member

One word

BEAST

8. DJ

DJ Member

If Chuck Hayes was 5 inches taller...

People always wonder about how much better Chuck Hayes would be if he were several inches taller. Over the years, people have said that he could have been a defensive player of the year or a potential all-star if taller. But I believe that Chuck is a great defensive player mainly because of his low center or gravity and strong lower body. I really don't think that he would necessarily be a better player if taller. If you substract his low center of gravity, then post players would have an easier time against him.

I think Hayes is successful because of his defensive versatility. On many occassions, I have seen Hayes guard and keep up with SF/SG and even PG in pick-and-roll situations. He has the quickness and wits to keep up with fast players when needed and the strength to prevent big guys from running over him down in the low blocks. Unlike many on this BBS, I think Chuck's height is not a disadvantage. Additionally, his relative "short stature" on his spin moves allows for him to get to the basket without having the ball stripped.

9. thejav

thejav Member

agreed..if he was taller he wouldn't be as dominant as a defender he is now..and most likely would be more injury prone..that guy is a tank!! :grin:

10. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

Good post that actually makes sense.. well thought out. I never really put much thought into that..

11. valorita

valorita Member

Solution = 6'6" Hayes with 7foot 5 wingspan = Ben Wallace with better offense

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Theory makes sense. Also, if Yao was 5 inches shorter, he would probably have been a better player, and still playing.

13. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Chuck would not play for the Rockets cause somebody would draft him after what everyone saw in Big Ben's impact on the floor

14. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

He reminds me of Anthony Mason from the 90's Knicks. Mason was just a bit bigger, but not by a whole lot 6-7, 250 lbs.

Chuck is definitely better than Mason with fundamentals on getting to spots and hand speed, but the build is similar with above average foot speed. Mason made up for this with physicality, but you can't get away with that now.

15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

16. EjrRocket11

EjrRocket11 Member

I was seriously thinking that as soon as the game was over, man he would shut down any center in the league and I mean any!

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

One thing about Chuck is that he's a SMART defender. Hence, what you say don't hold water. It's because he's short that he plays defense the way he does. If he actually had center height, he would play a style of defense that's befitting of his height.

Players like Chuck make use of whatever tools he possesses. Just because he plays a certain way doesn't mean he can't do something different with different skillset.

So as someone before has said, if Chuck were 5 inches taller, he'd a lottery pick and we'd be pissed that Rockets don't tank enough.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I doubt it. Yao uses his length to shoot over his defenders.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<embed width="640" height="360" src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:ifilm:video:spike.com:2794215" quality="high" bgcolor="000000" name="efp" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="autoPlay=false" allowfullscreen="true"></embed><div style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:12px; background-color: #000; width: 640px; padding: 3px 0; color: #fff;"><a href="http://www.spike.com/video/skee-lo-i-wish/2794215" style="color: #ffcc35; margin-left: 5px;">Skee-Lo - I Wish</a> | <a href="http://www.spike.com/channel/musicvideos" style="color: #ffcc35">Music Videos</a> | <a href="http://www.spike.com/" style="color: #ffcc35">SPIKE.com</a></div>

20. Prince

Prince Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CduA0TULnow" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>