1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Prince, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Same thing applies, Hayes stops those types of PF's well. Add Amare to Lamarcus Aldridge on the list of guys Hayes should get extending playing time against.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Amare is exactly the type of player some of these people were saying Chuck couldn't guard a few days ago.

3. durvasa

Actually, Chuck is better suited against those type of players. He can hold his own in the post, but his lack of size is more of a limitation there than it is away from the basket.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7294846.html

[rquoter]
    NEW YORK – The Rockets’ lead was gone. The Knicks’ offense was rolling. Amar’e Stoudemire was burning a defense twisted to stop him and opening up opportunities all around him.

The Rockets had to try something else, never imagining that any change could so dramatically change the game.

The Rockets put Chuck Hayes on Stoudemire and gave him almost no help. It was as if they turned the lights and jammed a dagger into the ball. The Knicks went nearly 12 minutes without a field goal as the Rockets piled up a 19-point lead, their largest of the season, then cruised to a 104-96 win over the Knicks for their first winning streak of the season.

They had even less trouble pointing to what changed the game.

“It was great,” Luis Scola said. “Chuck did a great job on him. He was hurting us. It is great to have a guy like that. Stoudemire is a tough guy to stop. When you do, you have a big part of the game won.”

More than stop Stoudemire, Hayes stopped him without help, allowing the Rockets to slow everyone else.

“I knew I was going to put Chuck on him,” Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. “I was just biding my time as long as we had the lead. We didn’t have to worry about doubling him. Chuck stays in front of him. He’s such a good defender. A lot of people don’t realize how good he is. Tonight, he showed it again.

“We’re not giving him any help. He was playing him straight up. He does a good job moving his feet. Amar’e really hurts you. He gets by you on that first dribble. He gets to the line. He makes shots. Chuck wasn’t allowing that.”

Hayes shut down Stoudemire and with the Rockets no longer forced to twist the defense to stop the Knicks’ offensive force, the rest of the Knicks offense crumbled, too.[/rquoter]

#23 durvasa, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Miller is nice. But Hayes is needed when you have to shut down a guy like Amare.

I also agree that Hayes is better guarding face up players because he has great hands and quick lateral speed. Low post bigs can just turn and shoot over him, although he has a way of pushing them out of their comfort zone.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Chuck can play those guys, he can not play guys like Dirk who can shoot from distance or are elite rebounders with athleticism.

DD

6. durvasa

Don't agree about guarding Dirk (and neither does coach), but nevertheless Blatche doesn't fit in either category.

1 person likes this.
  7. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I remember Chuck getting his reputation as a situational defensive stopper against Dirk. Am I remembering this wrong?

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think he got some play from that, but IIRC, we matched Tmac up with Dirk more often than not back in the day.

Chuck is just a really good defensive player.

DD

9. Prince

Prince Member

i'm sure Rick is smarter.

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

We're 3-6 and Adelman is raving about a marginal rotation player having a good night against a guy who probably wishes he had "taken his talents" Chicago or Miami. We're getting a$$ kicked by teams with size by running this guy out there 20+min each night and now Adelman somehow feels vindicated by a victory over the 3-7 N.Y.Knicks? Wow! Do you wonder why we haven't won atitle since 1995? I don't! C'mon Rick you're better than this. :rolleyes:

11. durvasa

Because we didn't have Jordan Hill on the team from 1995-2009?

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

LMAO!!! We're 3-6!!!!! There's work to do!! You're sticking your chest out about beating the Knicks!! LOL!!

Yao is struggling!! and you're sticking you're chest out about beating the Knicks?

3-6 beats 3-7 and Chuck Hayes is vindicated? LOL!

We're in last place & you're sticking you're chest out about Chuck Hayes?

At least Jordan Hill has size, youth, and talent. You know things you could develop or trade for something better in THE FUTURE!

Yeah, nothing says title like Chuck Hayes!!! LOL!!! :p

You're argument & our record says its time to shake Adelman's hand, thank him for trying, and blow it up! We may have to take a few steps back before we can CONTEND again.

Man I'll love Houston forever but I'll never understand some of our fans.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah because Stoudemire's bread and butter under Mike D'Antoni is a ground-based, low post, back to the basket offense.

Your scale of tard this season is reaching epic proportions, even by the lofty standards that you once set...in fact it's a CONTENDER for the most embarrassing sequence, of DD posts of all time, RIGHT NOW....you hear me? A CONTENDER RIGHT NOW, I'm sorry I missed the first two weeks. Oh wait, I'm not.

1 person likes this.
  14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

This is the "Chuck Hayes Appreciation Thread", where we voice praise about a player with a limited skillset doing a fantastic job guarding one of the most athletic big men in the game. This is not a "b**** About the Rockets Record" thread. There are plenty of those where this post would be appropriate. Not here.

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Agreed! Sorry Wes!

Good game Chuck! ;)

16. Prince

Prince Member

Thanks Wes!

17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You don't Mess With Wes! :grin:

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

And If you do Mess with Wes you're Messin' with the BEST! :grin:

19. liljojo

liljojo Member

What quote were you reading? Someone asked him about Chuck's performance, so he said that Chuck played superb defense, and how it helped us win the game.

Let me guess what your answer would be like:
    "I wasn't going to dress Chuck at all since he's basically useless, but it turns out he was having one of his fluke good games, so I decided to let him play for a little bit. I mean, did you see him a few games ago!? He stunk! He's never going to be as good as Hakeem! In hindsight, I probably should have pulled him for Hill. Sure, he probably wouldn't have done near as good a job on Amare, and it might have cost us the game, but he really needs the experience. Since we're already out of contention 8 games in, I feel we should use the minutes to develop potential, instead of giving time to the players that give us the best chance to win. All, in all, I'm glad we won, but I really suck at coaching."

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What's great about the ChuckWagon this year is that he is not as much of an offensive liability as he was before. He's finishing well around the basket, and he can occasionally bust out moves to create a shot. I like the spin move he sometimes uses.

Small sample size, but:
    FG%- .543
    Points/40 mins- 10.4
    TS%- .559

If he can just be average offensively, that would be awesome, considering how much he does elsewhere.