1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Orlando-Cleveland Game 5. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Chuck Hayes 6'5 vs. Jordan Hill 6'10

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Charles Jones, Nov 10, 2010.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You're the same geniuses that get upset when big-time players pass over us to look at other places. It happens because if Yao's out they don't want to go into big games with pedestrian players like Chuck. In his defense the team is inherently flawed because of Yao's injuries & Hayes doesn't put himself on our roster.
    But the last time I checked Andray Blatche isn't an elite player. And you are bragging about Chuck making this guy take tough shots? Man its amazing how much crap that Brooks, Martin, and Budinger takes on this board and this guy is revered no matter how many times he gets his a$$ lit up or dominated on the glass. Holy Crap you just pulled up a clip from last freakin year!!!!

Just for kicks,
    Can we please get some film of all those missed layups.
    All those point blank shots that get blocked,
    All those rebounds that get tipped over his head,
    All those missed free throws,
    All those layup lines to the basket when he's at center,
    All those phone calls from "CONTENDING TEAMS" willing to trade for this guy,

Oh nevermind.

I thought Solomon was crazy when he said that Houston fans accept mediocrity, but maybe he has a point. Nothing says mediocrity better than a losing record & loving a 6'5 "NBA" Center because he plays hard no matter how ineffective he is. Maybe SOME of us Houston fans just isn't that into winning as some other places.

Can you imagine the OUTRAGE if the Rockets were the Lakers? If Kobe hade to endure not making the playoffs last year and playing for the 2nd straight season with a overmatched 6'5 center while the Lakers are at 1-6?
    Lakers fans would be pissed, Kobe's head would explode, and Kupchak would've long been fired. I guess its about expectations man. SOME of us fans want to play hard & win. And some of you are just content with just having team I guess. :eek:

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I agree 100% :grin:

3. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

1-6 Chuck Hayes playing more minutes in all losses and Hill more minutes in the lone win.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Morey and Adelman saying that they had Chuck out there instead of Jordan because of defense is a HUGE cop-out. I believe its offensively related. Jordan is severly misguided on the offensive side of the court because believe it or not... he is not a high post passing Center like Brad Miller and Chuck Hayes. Adelman is so in-tune to his offense running the way he wants it that he is unwilling to adjust it for one player and he just likes the way those other guys find cutters and work off of screens. Sometimes you have to sacrifice some offense to get the job done at the other end Rick.

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Great point. That's all he can do at this point. If Jordan Hill was any good, he'd still be playing in New York. They wanted him gone for a reason and what does this say about Brad Miller? Wasn't he supposed to be their "big" off season signing?

6. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Defense is two fold. One on one and team defense. On guys as short as Chuck he is better defense. Hill worse defender. On teams with bug guys? Chuck Hayes is by far the worst guy to have for a big who can shoot over him and jump high. For team defense? Chuck Hayes is better in running the teams defense by rule of the team standard. By the NBA laws of physics? Jordan Hill can block and deter shots making point guards and taller players miss shots which is ultimately better team defense if he is in position. Chuck Hayes is in position all the time and because Hill gets no playing time. He is often out of position. Defense is definately not a good excuse from Adelman or Morey. Jordan Hill can stop they guys Chuck Hayes will never physically be able to stop ever in his life. Thats not to say Chuck cant stop certain players. He just cant stop the tall athletic shooters that Jordan Hill can. Ever. Period end of discussion Adelman. Chuck Hayes isnt gonna stop a point guard from going for a layup and he isnt going to stop the opposing players from going over his back for rebounds. End of discusion RICK!

7. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

hayes is better than hill no matter the position, no matter the opponent, no matter who else is on the floor...he is a superior player...always has been and always will be.

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Hayes is the more experienced player. Not better. Hill will be better when he starts to get more playing time. He already is on offense and close in rebounding. Better in shot blocking. Close in defense because Chuck cant gaurd bigger players or deter layups ever. So Hill is already better.

9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Very well said. Perfect! This. :cool:

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Chuck is that you? :)

11. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Awsome! Of course you will have your Hayes defenders saying he averages more rebounds and is tougher etc. He played 25 minutes last night compared to Hill's 9 minutes. He has no business being out there for 25 minutes against 6'11 Blatche? 7'0 Mcgee? C'mon now. Bad defense WITH Hayes playing, second chance points for them and lack of second chance opportunities for us pretty much sealed the deal. If playing Hill more makes us worst, playing Hayes as it is doesn't make us any better. We are still losing and thats the bottom line. You take your chances and head towards a new direction. We might have to lose the next 5-10 games adjusting to Hill, but you give the kid a chance to develop by giving him more playing time. Adelman uses the same players in exception to part time Yao just like last year. Rockets finish with a mediocre season. He uses the exact same rotations this year just adding Yao in the mix. Not a good formula = 1-6

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm not bragging about anything. I point out what happened the last time we played the Wizards, which undercuts the (pretty bad) argument of whoever it was I was responding to. I quoted coach Adelman. I could have also quoted the opposing coach, Flip Saunders, who said:

[rquoter]
    (On the game) “We were right there but couldn't get the job done. We've been in games like that all season and that’s whets very frustrating. Hayes did a hell of a job on Andray (Blatche). Houston really turned it up at the end. ...[/rquoter]

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Come on? Anytime Chuck Hayes is turning their scrubs center and PFs into stars against the Rockets is not really a good argument for Chuck. Have you forgotten we lost so many games last year because we had to start the short Chuck Hayes?

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

We're down to feeling good about "slowing down" ANDRAY freakin' Blatche! WOW! Last season no less!

The same Andray Blatche that sealed the game FOR THE WIZARDS last night.

UNBELIEVABLE! :(

15. durvasa

You think we would have won more than 42 games last year starting Jordan Hill instead of Chuck Hayes? A lot of teams lost many more games last year playing dumb 6'11 players that don't understand team defense.

And did you check what our record was last year against teams that don't score well in the paint (like the Wizards)? No? Take a look, and get back to me.

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

We lost 42 games. Thats all I have to check. We dont know how many we won with Hill because they havent given Hill any time. Kind of useless argument because you give no stats to say we could win more with Hill knowing full well he hasnt been starting like Chuck has before. Thats not a valid measurement in that regard.

17. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Got to have minutes make your argument against Jordan Hill. You can only make a case for Chuck Hayes. Which is 42 games at best with Chuck getting major minutes.

18. durvasa

Well, yeah, if you're going to argue that you can't win with 6'5 Chuck Hayes against the Wizards and you're wondering why Adelman would go to that, pointing out what happened the last time we played the Wizards would make sense.

But you're not interested in any of that. It doesn't matter if Adelman had good reason to trust Chuck Hayes against their front-line. What matters are the results -- we lost, and so Adelman's decision was a mistake. We may have also lost with Hill closing the game, but that doesn't matter either.

Its a pretty dopey argument you guys are pursuing here, but I understand you need to vent. So have at it.

19. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

We are not venting. Its a observation when a point of observation goes against some others views people here in the GARM call it venting because they dont want any changes in their own opinions. I think its more like we see Hill should have played more in a loss and Battier should have not go 4th quarter minutes in a loss. Thats not venting. Thats discussion described as venting by people who favor Chuck Hayes and Battier. They then Vent on people discussing why we lost.

20. kyotic1

kyotic1 Member

I like how last year, everyone was all over Chuck. I understand that we have more options this year at the center position, but Chuck is still a step up in defense and IQ when compared with hill and jefferies.

I dont agree with the no playing time for hill in the second half of last nights game, but regardless people are blowing this out of proportion. As soon as any player makes a mistake, people jump on the trade/bench him bandwagon.

The whole team besides martin and scola have been doing good this year