1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chuck Hayes 6'5 vs. Jordan Hill 6'10

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Charles Jones, Nov 10, 2010.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

Why do people act like Jordan Hill is good? Potential means not good yet. He's too skinny to play the 5. Didn't Blatche shoulder him under the basket for an easy lay-in?

Damned if you do damned if you don't probably, but I'll take the guy with a proven defensive track record.

1 person likes this.
  2. snc

snc Member

Chuck should ONLY be used to guard star PFs like Dirk, Garnett, Duncan, etc. And he should NEVER play center. Yao, Hill, and Miller should be ahead of him.

3. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes is 6'6".

Don't exaggerate to try to make your point more valid.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He exaggerated 0.5 inch...

Don't exaggerate his very tiny exaggeration...

#24 RudyTBag, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

6. Mr. Space City

lol 6 ft 6 center

7. DallasThomas

Okay, let me try then:

Chuck Hayes 6'7 vs. Jordan Hill 6'9

It's just obnoxious when people stretch numbers, of all things.

When I was 15, my Dad used to tell me, "Boy, you need to start pulling your weight around here - you're 16 years old". But then when I'd want to do something too "adult-like" for his taste, it would be, "No, you can't do that. You're only 14 years old".

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hill was measured at 6'9 1/4"

Hayes at 6'5 1/2"

DD

9. FullMetal Sage

NOT THIS. Whats the point of playing defense if you can't get the rebound?

10. DallasThomas

...And Jordan Hill is 6'9.25" according to that same page.

We all know Hill is taller than Hayes, and I'm sure Rick Adelman has noticed it at some point too.

EDIT: My point is that whether it's a 3.75" difference by the pre-draft measurements or it's a 4" difference by their listed heights - the title says it's a 5" difference. And that's obnoxious to me because it's really the only case being made for this thread's argument, and it's at least 25% overblown...which I guess can be said of most of the arguments in this forum, including my own number-nazi tirade :p

#30 DallasThomas, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  11. SmoothOperator

Are you claiming that Jordan Hill is a better rebounder than Chuck Hayes?

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You Chuck Hayes apologist crack me up!
    Lets keep it simple:
    Jordan Hill, Patrick Patterson, & Jared Jeffries > >>>Chuck Hayes.
    And Rick better figure it out soon & fix this rotation or the season is done.

Chuck has zero trade value. No one is going to give you didley for a 6'5 Center! To call him a situational player is a ridiculus cop out! He wouldn't get a time on any other contending team!

He can't shoot, make free throws, dunk, block shots, Shoot 3's, handle the ball, create for others, and HE'S A BELOW AVERAGE REBOUNDER!

He's got two tricks he's hard to back down & he's a charge takin crash dummy. Skilled Athletic bigs will shoot over him & dominate him on the glass. It's happened over & over again. You need two-way players on a team like this.

Some of you same guys get on here and bash Aaron Brooks, Kevin Martin, & etc.. & yet give this scrub a pass! It's freakin hilarious!

13. makman

makman Member

I saw him hit a few free throws the other night and he did dunk last year....

But really you described him perfectly, I drank the cool aid and believed he was in great shape and developed an offensive game. But apparently that was people watching him go 1 on 1 with Yao.

He's a borderline scrub because he gives effort.

14. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Just don't play Hayes when Rockets are trying to make a comeback. Hill at all other times and yes he does suck but who else do we have? He's better than Hayes no matter how you cut it.

15. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Jordan Hill. Cant win without him. Already proven. Battier no stats again. Should have been

Hill
    Scola
    Budinger
    Martin
    Ish

To end game. He went with cold hands Battier, Hayes, and Lowry. Adelman is senile old coot that just wont get rotations down right for who is going good to end games.

16. tofu--

tofu-- Member

We've been winning more when Hill gets extended minutes, haven't we?

(says the guy that knows we only won one freakin' game)

In all seriousness, Hill really does seem to be the better option at the 4/5 and yet Rick insists on treating Hayes as being more than a situational player.

Adelman is absolute trash.

17. SmoothOperator

You rookies ought to look at some data. For last year, Jordan Hill slightly outrebounded Hayes, and so far this year Chuck is slightly ahead. Basically, it's a wash on the boards for those two.

You guys act like Jordan Hill is a young Rodman or something. Hill is a raw project. It's that simple. He turns the ball over quite a bit, is an so-so rebounder and very poor defender. He makes an occassional play of note due to his athleticism so you guys overhype his real contribution.

Jefferies, seriously? Where's the Knick chick when you need her?

Patterson is a rookie and so far doesn't look to be ready to contribute on an NBA team.

18. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

chuck is really a van gundy player. not sure why adelman is so enamoured with him. I dont recall adelman having such a player getting such heavy minutes on his previous teams.

chuck is a fan fav, but everyone has to recognise him for what he is. hes not a superstar.

19. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

1-6 disagrees with your logic.

20. SmoothOperator

The record has nothing to do with whether Hayes or Hill is the better 4/5 option.

This was posted after tonight's game.

Who led the Rockets in rebounding? Hayes
    Who had more blocks Hill or Hayes? Hayes
    Who had more turnovers Hill or Hayes? Hill

Defensively, Hill was getting bullied and looked like a scrub, that's why he got benched. He had a couple of offensive boards and put backs. That's all he did.

This isn't NBA2K. Being taller doesn't mean a player is better. If Hill played with half the heart that Chuck played with he might be an All-Star.

No one has provided any compelling data or demonstration that at this point in time Hill is a better player than Chuck Hayes.